Dental eruptions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ourpairofminicolts

Majestic Mini Mother
Reaction score
20201012_165220.jpg

This is Monty, he's 2½. I noticed that he's developed a bulge under his jaw, which I believe are dental eruptions. They are symmetrical, no warmth, and he's not off his feed.
I have noticed that he's shaking his head a lot, and the past couple of weeks his ears pretty much stay pinned back, he just seems overall "grumpy". He also doesn't want to be lead on a lead line.
I will most likely have our vet check him out soon, but I wondered if anyone has any suggestions to help him feel better until his teeth come in?
I will be checking frequently to make sure he doesn't have teeth coming up in the wrong places, going off of or dropping his feed, and for any warmth under his jaw in the meantime.

What is "soon" for the vet? It's very important to keep a close eye on miniature teeth. This would be a priority for me for this handsome fellow.

I'm going to call our vet tomorrow morning, so as soon as she has an appointment open.

I actually called last Friday and got no answer, so I left a voice-mail. I think they've been closed because of the weekend/holiday, or I'd already have an appointment scheduled for him.

It took me longer than it should have to connect the dots, because he was just gelded about a month ago. I misunderstood what he was trying to tell me until he started shaking his head recently.

I'm sorry if I came across too aggressive about Monty. I've had some dental issues with my horses and it's made me a little paranoid.
This is a picture of a horse my sister had put down for other reasons, but her skull was very educational. Our vet kept it.
I had a horse with a tooth sticking out like that, but it was pointing into the cheek. Luckily the vet noticed it, removed it, and he had a fine mouth after that. He also had caps that did not shed, and had those removed.
Some vets do not have the correct tools to work on miniature teeth, to get all the way to the back molars. Miniatures can be a challenge!
teeth2.jpgteeth3.jpgmail teeth 2.jpg

I'm sorry if I came across too aggressive about Monty. I've had some dental issues with my horses and it's made me a little paranoid.
This is a picture of a horse my sister had put down for other reasons, but her skull was very educational. Our vet kept it.
I had a horse with a tooth sticking out like that, but it was pointing into the cheek. Luckily the vet noticed it, removed it, and he had a fine mouth after that. He also had caps that did not shed, and had those removed.
Some vets do not have the correct tools to work on miniature teeth, to get all the way to the back molars. Miniatures can be a challenge!
View attachment 42358View attachment 42359View attachment 42360

I think your question came across as concerned, rather than aggressive. I know people have very different definitions of "soon", too, so I understand your concern.

Looking online, I read those bumps are fairly common. Since Monty seems uncomfortable, though, I just wondered if there's anything more I can do for him besides keeping a close eye on him while we wait for the vet. He let me poke around in his mouth yesterday to check out his teeth, and I didn't see or feel anything abnormal.

We got lucky finding a good vet and farrier after we got our horses. Our vet has mini's herself, and we use the same farrier as her as well. It's nice knowing that they both have the proper knowledge and equipment to care for mini's.

The pictures are very helpful, thank you for posting those! Sorry about your sister's horse, though. I've only had one young horse before, and he never had any dental problems. My old mare only needed a float once a year. Mini mouths are new to me! From now on, I'll ask the vet to check both our horse's teeth every time she's here.

I'll post an update after Monty's appointment.

Latest posts

Back