Demodectic Mites w/ Secondary skin infec in dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
Hi everyone, even though I don't post much I am still around. I was hoping someon on here knows something about these mites and can help. I adopted a puppy from the animal protective league back in April. He had some hair loss then, but they said it was from him being flea infested when they found him. He is 9 months old and a happy camper. But, this was his second trip to the vets due to his skin infection. He gets nasties all over him. He is on a antibotic again, on ivomectin oral, special shampoo and dip. I had him there last Thrus. and by Monday he looked a lot better again. But I noticed last night his pimples are coming back.. His vet bill was 200.00 again. Is there something out there that we are missing, and or is there something else we can do to help poor Buster? Thanks..

Poor pooch.. your poor wallet too.

For something like this its good if you can to help try to boost his immune system.

Personally, I'd give raw honey a couple times a day and supplement with some Stella & Chewy freeze dried beef patties.

See http://www.shop.leashwecando.com/product.s...p;categoryId=15

They've changed this formula but its a real good one!

We use them as a supplement here for our 8yr old Great Dane.

Wonderful stuff and this store ships uber quick! They often send extra stuff too.

I have had a problem with this before, that story didn't turn out well.

I ended up with a dog with it again. I'm thinking oh crap here we go again. I did some google research and ran across a article about Promeris ( sp). It is for fleas. Some people like it and had great results and some people were worried about the side effects but hey that is with anything you try for the first time. You never know until you try it. Even the dang vet didn't think it would work. I wish I had taken before and after pictures of him.

well i tried it and with in 3 months he was cleared up and had hair. I took him in and had him fixed and did two more months and he is completely normal. I'm not saying he won't ever come down with it again, but with the Promeris all I did was use it like normal as if I was treating for Fleas. I killed two birds with one stone this way. and it worked.

The Promeris has the same drug in it as the Mytaban dip that is used to treat the red manage. It is well worth in my opinion the extra $15 a month for the treatment.

I would keep him on the antibotics for the staff infection that he has, It would dry the sores up but stop the Ivomec. Keep him off of that for at least a week before you start the Promeris because you can't use them together.

Good luck and I hope your puppy has the same great response to the Promeris that mine did.

I have had a problem with this before, that story didn't turn out well.
I ended up with a dog with it again. I'm thinking oh crap here we go again. I did some google research and ran across a article about Promeris ( sp). It is for fleas. Some people like it and had great results and some people were worried about the side effects but hey that is with anything you try for the first time. You never know until you try it. Even the dang vet didn't think it would work. I wish I had taken before and after pictures of him.

well i tried it and with in 3 months he was cleared up and had hair. I took him in and had him fixed and did two more months and he is completely normal. I'm not saying he won't ever come down with it again, but with the Promeris all I did was use it like normal as if I was treating for Fleas. I killed two birds with one stone this way. and it worked.

The Promeris has the same drug in it as the Mytaban dip that is used to treat the red manage. It is well worth in my opinion the extra $15 a month for the treatment.

I would keep him on the antibotics for the staff infection that he has, It would dry the sores up but stop the Ivomec. Keep him off of that for at least a week before you start the Promeris because you can't use them together.

Good luck and I hope your puppy has the same great response to the Promeris that mine did.
HI, he is on the Mytaban dip now, the first time it was just the shampoo.. Now, dip and shampoo. Where do I find the Promeris?? The Ivomec from the vet was 100.00 a bottle for the oral kind..
default_sad.png

Ask your Vet about "LymDyp", it works much better than most of the other products out there.

I get my promeris from the vet here in town. He carries it.

I've used the Mytaban did too and it worked but wasn't lasting and a big mess to deal with. The Ivomec was a pain because after the first oral treatment the dogs would run from me when they noticed what I was coming after them to do. Stuff must taste bad.

But with the promeris you just put it on their back just like any other flea medicine and your done. Just make sure he doesn't lick it because it can cause them to get sick.

I just wish to God I would have found this stuff sooner then later.

If you need me to help get it for you to try just let me know. I can mail it to you if you can't find it local.

Hi, in my opinion it is always a good idea to hold off on vaccines until you get the demodectic mange under control because it is more common to a dog that has some immune issues and the vaccines will sock the immune system and can make it worse. You start beating the mites down, then the dog is due for vaccine and a few weeks later you get it again. I always thought it was more common in younger dogs and they mostly outgrow it. You might want to talk to a holostic vet for some treatment to boost the immune system. Really hard to treat once the secondary infection sets in and the pustules start but not impossible. I had a dobie that had it at 6 months of age, but once we got it beat it never returned.. I also would recommend reduced vaccine protocol for the life of this type of dog and when you do vaccinate never "bolus" the shots, separate Rabies from the DHPP etc. I vaccinate no more than once every three years and then only rabies once the dog is mature good luck! Hope you beat it.

Latest posts

Back