Deleted, locked and edited postings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
First let me say that this posting has nothing to do with miniature horses so I have no problem with this thread being moved or deleted. But, what I ask is that someone please answer my question at least via private email to [email protected]

It seems to me that there are an increasing number of postings (threads) that are being locked or deleted and now I am hearing that some postings are being edited.

Could the monitors please explain to me the logic behind what is being done? I know that this forum is not a democracy and freedom of speech only goes so far here. I can live with that. But, could someone explain what the logic is when these locks, deletions and editings are being done. It is my understanding, and you can correct me if I am wrong, that no one is told when this is going to happen nor after it happens. It just happens. Maybe it would help all of us if we better understood the rules or if there are any rules when it comes to this.

I appreciate the work that the monitors do on this forum and know it must not be easy and is very time consuming.

Thank you. Now back to watching the DNC. (This coming from a Republican)

Im curious too. Many of my posts that were written for horses health( Hooves extremely long on a supposed 11 year olds breeding stallion). I was not notified of it. Potentially useful information has been deleted in mine and others cases.

Quite the overboard IMO.

IMO -- if there is a deletion, edit, lock, move, it would be appropriate to advise the original poster.

I do sometimes see the "moved" notice on the thread........but, gosh, if it's edited could there be a notation as when we used to edit our own?......sometimes you think
default_wacko.png
did I see it or am I dreaming
default_saludando.gif

I'm a moderator on another equine website, and when I edit someone's post I clearly state why it was edited in the post. I've done that... three times in several years. Its very uncommon. Most of the time (95%) people know why the thread was locked/deleted... the few times its questionable I'll post one last time WHY its being locked. I think its important to do so. I haven't seen that many locked threads here, and most of them were pretty obvious.

I for one trust the mods to do what they feel is best without any private agendas.

Trust me that is much more then I can say for other imitator forum boards where it is all about what the owners and a few friends think and to heck with anyone who disagrees.
default_rolleyes.gif
Just try visiting some other sites and see how crazy and self promoting it can get out there.

Many have tried but no one has been able to duplicate LB forum boards in fact I have yet to see anyone even come close!

I can list at least 5 off the top of my head that have vanished in the last while, too bad because some have really good information, I think it depends on who doesn't like what is being said. I can think of one just the other day. Oh well, that's the way it goes
default_rolleyes.gif

I have allot of faith in the mods here, they have been doing this for what...11 years? I would hope they could by no spot a thread that is going to spiral out of control. Also, i think allot of things go on via PM's ext that the mods have to deal with when those "hot topics" come along so im sure it more then wha we see or read on here.

I just feel i have no right to complain, they dedicate allot of their personal time to making sure things go over nice and smooth here and i just dont feel its my place to complain.

I know i started a topic this morning that was ment to be a roll call for nationals and i asked inside to see some photos of who is going and it got moved to the photo forum for that reason...guess i should have started two separate threads for that, but it was ment to be a roll call to see who was going...its no biggie that it got moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have seen no favouritism - and I have been here for more than 8 years- long before this current version of the board. Through the Dark Times that many here have no knowledge of. Count yourselves lucky.

I have been edited, warned, seen threads deleted, locked and moved - and usually understood why.

All forums have different rules- and no, they are not always a democracy. You cannot simply say whatever you please. This forum is not owned by all of us - so Mary Lou and her moderators can call the shots. They do not even have to explain why things are deleted... and have said so. You need to read the rules for any forum you post on to know how that particular one works. The only posts I have had deleted were in response to equally flammable/questionable posts - and as both of us got deleted, IMO that was more than fair.

*shrug*
default_unsure.png

And yes - some threads that get started here get moved to the Back Porch - as this one likely will - as they are not MHR. I have no beefs with any of that. Inevitably then someone (just speaking generically) starts a thread asking why their Very Important thread was moved... and then another thread protesting said move... and so on. On some forums the same poster cannot start multiple threads in one day - that is not the case here as we have seen. You just have to go with the flow...

That all being said - I went back to lurking for a while and watched a small group run roughshod over others and smirk and sneer their way through threads... often getting them locked and deleted. Which seemed to be their goal...
default_no.gif
... then they were always quick to point fingers elsewhere - at the mods, other posters etc. That still happens at times...

As many of us have said before - this board is very tame compared to most forums out there - both horse-related and non-horse related and 95% of the time this one seems to be run fairly IMO.

On many forums even starting this thread would get it nuked - as all such queries must go by PM to the mods. I think there is actually a lot more freedom on this board than many seem to believe there is...

And this from a forum veteran... JMO. YMMV.
default_yes.gif

Well, I think you're all doing a GREAT job!!!
default_yes.gif
I enjoy this forum very much and I do believe that if you didn't keep things in line it wouldn't be the great forum that it is!! Kudos to all of you who moderate this forum!!!

Neil and all.. please do not believe everything you hear.. The mods on this forum are asked NOT to edit any messages unless truly necessary. I prefer they delete or lock if something is too bad to be said in public on the forums..

[...}

My kindest regards, Mary Lou
Mary Lou, thank you for your thoughtful response. And a thank you for all of the time and effort you and the moderators put into this forum.

I have just sent you a PM about this thread.

Tagalong - I have been here since it was a string thread. I don't know who you are. I remember you told me once and I thought you said you were 19 - so you have been on this board since you were 11? You also told me you worked for a big farm in - was it Washington? I have forgotten - it has been a while since I asked you.
See, I thought one of the rules was we could NOT post anomalously(sp). Yet, we don't know your name or farm name - so I would like to know if that is considered as posting anonymously(sp).
Lisa - I am not 19 - I am not sure where you got that from - I wish I was!!
default_smile.png

The topic here is the board - not tagalong.
default_wink.png
And yes - I have been here since the old linear thread. And I am far from the shy type.

I work for a mini farm/horse farm in Washington. Many here know who I am and where I work. Not a big secret or a big deal.

And no - that is NOT posting anonymously. You have to provide info to register. I did so. And I have mentioned the horses here many times over - however due to sad experiences with a couple of posters, I no longer make a practice of supplying personal links etc. I am far from the only one here who does that.

But all this is waaaay off-topic.

Thank you, Mary Lou, for the excellent summary! We do our best as moderators and yes, I will edit a post if there are personal attacks made or foul language is used.

Liz R.

Lisa - I fear you are about to get this thread locked and/or posts deleted. If you wish to address questions to me or question my motives, please do so by PM so as not to sidetrack the thread. Thanks!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the explanations, Mary Lou - you and the mods have a difficult job to do... and thanks to Neil for starting the thread and posting in such a polite way when your concerns were addressed....
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back