Deciding on a Trainer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Well I plan on sending my newest little man Love It to the trainer when he becomes a two year old in 2013 as I want him to be shown in halter and driving professionally as I know I can't take him as far as they could being as I am so novice in the miniature show world. What things do you take into consideration when you begin looking at trainers?

• Do you pick a trainer closer to home or closer to Worlds & Nationals to cut expenses?
  • How do you know which trainer would be best for your horse?
  • Does the most expensive = the best?
  • What credentials do you look for in a trainer?
  • Any do's and don't's I should know about?
  • Do you/can you use a stallion in show training for breeding purposes or does that distract him too much?
  • If you do bring him back home for breeding, how long would you have him at your farm?
  • Are trainers understanding of you wanting to breed to your stallion or do they take offense?
I would really appreciate any and all comments as I am searching through trainers but don't really know where to begin with this adventure as this is my first Miniature I will be sending away to the trainer.

Thanks in advance guys!

•Do you pick a trainer closer to home or closer to Worlds & Nationals to cut expenses?

I chose the trainers that I believe to have the best interests of the horses in mind. Location has some impact, but more about whether I go and see the horses when I wanted

•How do you know which trainer would be best for your horse?

You don't always until you send a horse. References help. If you really want to win at any cost, check out who always wins at Worlds or Nationals.

•Does the most expensive = the best? Absolutely not

•What credentials do you look for in a trainer?

How the horses under their care respond to them and how they act and look. Are they relaxed and happy or tense and doing a lot of tail switching and stomping?

•Any do's and don't's I should know about?

Don't expect a lot of feedback (like daily or weekly) most trainers are too busy for that.

Do plan to visit your horse unexpectely. Just show up. See exactly how the horses are being trained.

Do expect the trainer to show your horse or have a reliable trained backup to help, or have a good rapport with other trainers if need arises - such as 2 horses in a championship class.

Do expect the trainer to show your horse before they show their own if in the same class.

•Do you/can you use a stallion in show training for breeding purposes or does that distract him too much?

I don't. They can lose weight and condition very quickly and then act stupid at shows if they are used for breeding.

•If you do bring him back home for breeding, how long would you have him at your farm?

As I wouldn't do it, can't answer this

•Are trainers understanding of you wanting to breed to your stallion or do they take offense?

It's your horse, so most wont' say anything, but they could be very understandly upset if you take the horse home for 2-3 months, and then expect them to win at Worlds or Nationals.

Well I plan on sending my newest little man Love It to the trainer when he becomes a two year old in 2013 as I want him to be shown in halter and driving professionally as I know I can't take him as far as they could being as I am so novice in the miniature show world. What things do you take into consideration when you begin looking at trainers?

• Do you pick a trainer closer to home or closer to Worlds & Nationals to cut expenses?
  • How do you know which trainer would be best for your horse?
  • Does the most expensive = the best?
  • What credentials do you look for in a trainer?
  • Any do's and don't's I should know about?
  • Do you/can you use a stallion in show training for breeding purposes or does that distract him too much?
  • If you do bring him back home for breeding, how long would you have him at your farm?
  • Are trainers understanding of you wanting to breed to your stallion or do they take offense?
I would really appreciate any and all comments as I am searching through trainers but don't really know where to begin with this adventure as this is my first Miniature I will be sending away to the trainer.

Thanks in advance guys!
First, you need to determine what your goals are. If its a National Championship, then you need to look for trainers that have achieved those titles and know what to look for. If its a Hall of Fame, you need to look for trainers who attend many shows and have achieved many Hall of Fames in that division (you might also want to look at how long it took them to achieve those HOFs as well).

Location: Do you have lots of shows near home or closer to Nationals/Worlds? Do you want to be able to take lessons?

Expense: Expensive doesn't always mean the best. And a trainer with a lot of horses in the barn doesn't always mean the best either. It takes a lot of time to train a driving horse, so you'll want your horse to get attention every day. Do they have employees that assist?

Credentials: Look at their show record. Talk to their current and previous clients.

Dos and Don'ts: Always pay your trainer on time. This is my biggest pet peeve as a trainer. We work hard for you and the fees we charge not only pay our bills, but first and foremost go to feeding and care of your horse. Training is expensive. You can expect to pay anywhere to $400 - well over a $1,000 per month during show season for all of your training and show expenses. Don't drop your horse off 2 weeks before the first show in pasture condition and expect them to be show ready in 2-4 weeks. It just doesn't happen like that. At least 60 days before the first show and even longer if you're wanting to drive during that season. In areas with 9 month show seasons, its best to get your horse to the trainer at the end of the season so they can condition and train during the off season. Its hard to get a horse started well when you're constantly clipping and traveling to shows.

Breeding stallions: It is ideal not to breed a stallion if you are showing them. The stress of breeding can pull down a stud making it very hard to keep them in condition. They can be injured breeding mares. And it can be a distraction in the ring. Some studs can handle it, some can't. But if it requires the stallion to leave the training barn, it will effect his conditioning, training, and show season. My advice if you live in a warm climate is to breed Feb-March and then leave the stallion at the trainer's for the remainder of the show season.

Do trainers take offense: Yes. We aren't offended that you want to breed your stallion. But it does bother us to know the stallion isn't being worked properly, isn't getting the training he needs to be successful, and could possibly be injured causing him to be pulled from the show string. Plus, that opens up a stall in the barn that now has to be held open until he returns which cuts into our income. This is something you want to discuss up front with a trainer before you put the horse in their barn. Many of us do not like having a revolving door because it prevents us from taking on other horses into training.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

Ask for past clients not just current ones when getting references. Past clients will give you a lot of insight. I wouldn't use a stallion for breeding after April if I wanted him shown at the top level. He should be with the trainer by May to have at least 4 - 5 months training and conditioning before the Nationals or World.

Its not an expense, its an investment. I wouldn't breed until the stallion have been shown a year if thats the route you want to take. Check out not only big names but the up and coming too, you might find a deal and get a very good trainer as well. And since you said you will be sending your horse as a 2 year old, don't expect him to drive as a 2 year old, its not going to happen. Look for a halter trainer for his two year old year.

Thank you for your insight thus far....I was hoping that while he was a 2 y/o they could go ahead and do ground driving and just get him generally exposed to whole experience and gain manners ahead of time. I definately don't expect to have him driving as a two year old at all.

So I've re-thought it and I definately won't breed him during a show season, sounds like it is just too much for them to handle.

Others opinions are very much so welcomed as well

I agree with what has been said so far.

I would like to also add, that as a trainer, make sure your horse is the caliber it needs to be to win on the National or World level.

Go to shows. Look at breed magazines. Before you invest in training and showing, judge your horse against what you see winning in the show ring. While any horse that is conditioned and fit will look better than a horse in pasture condition, the competition is fierce for top honors and the horse needs to be a top quality horse to be competitive.

you really need to go to different shows and observe trainers in action. All of them are very different. I am sometimes shocked at things I see and always wonder if the owner knows how their horse is being handled, fed etc.

I would also recommend going to their facility and having a look around.

Just a few things I would like with a trainer.

Not too far away so we can check up on our horse.

If emergency comes up, like colic etc. would like to be able to be there.

Like to break our mini at 2.5 - 3 years old so they would be ready for age 3 driving.

Like to go visit the facility to see how they are set up.

In door arena is a plus, so training does not stop because of weather.

Make sure you have a contract, so all expenses are up front.

Good Luck let us know how you make out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I have never sent a mini to a professional trainer, so maybe I am not the right one to respond, but I have given it a lot of thought.

I think the main thing to consider is what you intend to get for your money, so to speak. For me, if I wanted to own a National or World Champion, it would be so much easier and cheaper to just buy one. Are you looking at this as an investment that will earn you money back in breeding fees or foal prices? Do you just want the satisfaction of winning (nothing wrong with that!)? A chance to show him yourself in Ammy classes while the trainer has him at the shows? This might help you decide.

I am sure you have your reasons, but I also wonder why you don't want to get him out showing next year as a yearling? Then you wouldn't have to worry about not using him for breeding at the same time. Then maybe wait until he is three for the driving training, as you might want a different trainer for that anyway.

I agree with what the others have said, but want to add one thing, make sure the trainer will show the horse in both registries if that is what you want, as some trainers only do AMHA and don't take your horse to AMHR. So make sure they are willing to do both if that is what you want.

On breeding while being shown, NO! you want your stallion focused on showing and winning, not worrying about mares. also it is expensive, so get some figures up front, on transportation, training, fitting, board, showing, clipping, facials, etc. just to make sure you have funds available. You may want to also buy your own clothes, or the trainer will buy them for you, and tell them your wants on extras such as chiroprator, etc. sometimes they will charge you for unwanted services so just a heads up on that.

I'm guessing that Riverrose means horse clothes when she referrs to "buy your own clothes". LOL

She's right the trainer will want at least a sheet and hood or body "sleezy" to keep the horse clean in the stall.

I can't answer as far as all trainers but the one I have is very reasonable and always asks me what I want to spend money on. For instance Shetland classes or AMHR classes or state fairs or area shows etc.

I didn't know what I was doing to start with either. I picked someone that was in my area but had not trained miniature horses when I started my stallion. I was lucky that the stallion was both easy to work with and that the trainer was used to working with Arabs and Saddlebreds and knew how to set these guys up. He refused to go "show" my horse but helped me to learn how. We did farily well that first year (horse was 2). The following year I sent him back for 2 months for driving. He came back needing lots of experience but with a good headset and great manners. Again we did farily well that first year. In fact as a 3 yr old he placed 4th at Nationals with me driving and the next year took 1st in Western Pleasure 32" and under.

Since I showed my own stallion, I used him for breeding even while showing. I was lucky that he is such an easy going boy. He actually bred one day and went to a horse show the next and never gave us a problem.

With my modern Shetland I was again going where I'd never gone before so I actually had a trainer "pick him out" and start training and driving him. He lives in the next state but Wisconsin doesn't really have trainers that show AMHR or Shetland. The first year didn't turn out the way I had envisioned but this last year we won practically everything we tried. WOW!

I should say that some trainers (I think most but not sure) will take a look at your horse and will tell you if they think he has a chance at winning. If he isn't the caliber that will win many won't take him on. It's not only a waste of thier time, your money but you will end up not happy with them and that might cost them business.

I've had trainers that just gave me advice which was very helpful and yet never laid a hand on my horse. It's always good to make friends with knowledgeable people.

If you're looking for names and want to pm me I'll list a few I know.

I just wanted to add my two cents as well. We do take several horses into training each year and show both miniatures and shetlands. To protect yourself, as well as your trainer, please review a contract and make sure you both agree on the terms. Another thing that we do with all of our clients is have them write a letter of expectations and add it to their contract - not every owner wants the same thing out of their show animal. Some want World or National caliber horses, others simply want to have well-mannered animals that are respectful, still others want diverse animals that can handle a variety of classes. Not all animals are intended to be show animals - we evaluate our horses performance against the clients "wish list" monthly. If the animals are not meeting expectations, then they need to be reevaluated. I'd be happy to answer any other questions in a PM. Good luck! This is a fun and exciting thing!

This is a great topic!!

Price: I've seen prices as low as $200 per month and as high as $550 per month (speaking to halter trainers). Price often has to do with location (hay, feed, bedding, cost of living expenses are more in some parts of the country) and/or years of experience and credibility(how much they have accomplished in the ring). Price doesn't always dictate how good or how much they win, but it often has a great deal to do with it. Another thing to consider is the distance that trainer will have to travel to shows. Maybe the trainer is less expensive on a month to month basis but if their closest shows are 8 or more hours away you will make up that extra cost in mileage.

Location: Many exhibitors like to send their horses to Texas/Oklahoma area to be closer to Nationals and Worlds. This not only saves on milage but less traveling is less stressful on the horse. At the same time, many of those trainers are more expensive. Also, do you want to show amateur? Using a closer trainer means its easier to go see your horse and show ammy if you want. But at the same time, Texas/Oklahoma are only flights away. Also, how early will you send the horse out? Any facilities in colder climates will need indoor arenas to be effective with early season training.

As MinimonNC states, be sure and check out the newer, younger, up and coming trainers. They are often less expensive. Also be careful of this...... Many of the larger trainers will take several horses in over the winter in the same class, and tell you that they will decide which one they will take in. I have seen trainers not decide until the last possible minute, or even change their plan RIGHT BEFORE THEIR CLASS AT THE WORLD SHOW! So you want to have an open line of communication about that, and any wishy washyness on the part of the trainer should be a red flag. Expect a trainer to want the best horse for the class, and that may not be yours, but it is NOT OK for a trainer to keep a second string horse for so long that the owner doesnt have time to find a new trainer. Then you know they are doing it for the money, and not what's best for the client....

Don't expect that the trainer will always chose your horse in a championship class...they are going to choose the best one and that is the best in their opinion, not yours. Remember that as a client you deserve open communication and respect. In most cases every client pays the same, so you should not feel like you are not the favorite. At the same time, don't expect to be the favorite, and remember you are one of several clients. Just like in life, everything isn't always about you.

There are many awesome trainer who are very good people. There are just as many sneaky, dishonest trainers who will take you for every penny you have and then dump you.

As far as reference, I would not stop at asking the trainer for references, because of course, they are going to give you list of people that like them. I would hang out at shows and talk to random people and see what they have to say. You will get mixed reviews on any trainer. But having both sides often gives you a better idea and stronger base to form your own opinion......

I have used two trainers with my horses with excellent results. One trains my horses to drive and the other took on one of my horses this year (as I was in school for most of the show season) to show in halter.

My driving trainer is amazing with horses and all horses just adore her. They all look forward to working. I always enjoy my time there - and so do my horses.

My halter trainer showed my mare to the top of the All-Stars and a Multiple National Top Ten! It was so exciting hearing from her after each show... It was an amazing experience!

But most importantly, to me, was that these ladies took excellent care of my horses, and always put the horse's needs first. My horses in loving hands, who I trusted!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
I will (and have) do it again in a heartbeat!

Quality and price do not always go hand in hand. Neither does "the best" facilities - MANY National Champion horses come from less than idea facilities
default_wink.png
. Location does matter to me, simply as I can not afford to ship to the far end of the USA. In the end, I like results. I like seeing my horses happy and loving their job!
default_wub.png

I have used trainers a couple of times in the past.

•Do you pick a trainer closer to home or closer to Worlds & Nationals to cut expenses?

That is not part of my criteria at all.

•How do you know which trainer would be best for your horse?

I watched trainers for many years. I see what types of horses they do best with. Some are halter trainers, some are driving....some can well with a certain "type" or personality of horse. You just have to see what they are doing and how well they are doing it.

•Does the most expensive = the best?

No

•What credentials do you look for in a trainer?

Show records. Safety, safe equipment/trailer, etc. And are the horses "Happy"...if they are sour, chances are the trainer is sour too.

•Any do's and don't's I should know about?

Be good to your trainer. They earn EVERY penny.

•Do you/can you use a stallion in show training for breeding purposes or does that distract him too much?

NEVER.

•If you do bring him back home for breeding, how long would you have him at your farm?

See next question.

•Are trainers understanding of you wanting to breed to your stallion or do they take offense?

The trainers I have worked with - when I turn that horse over to them for showing - I no longer consider him my "property"....mentally he belongs to the trainer. The trainer has to have full control of the horse the entire time and owners have a way of mucking things up for them if they take the horse out of the trainer's control even for a short period of time....and ESPECIALLY if you are planning on using him for breeding. If I was a trainer and an owner wanted to do that - I'd say "find a different trainer."

I have not sent any horses to a trainer because of the problems I see with finding a trust worthy one- not only that they care for the horse in the same manner that I would, but that they are not ripping people off for what they are getting. I dont like the idea of a 30 day wonder either. I guess I am pretty particular in how my horses are treated.

My main concern is that the trainer is not abusive- and I have seen many that are (with Minis and full sized horses). I am all for correcting a horse that is being naughty, but there is a clear line between correcting one and being abusive.

I want thorough training, not a crash course or 30 day wonder. I want a horse that is trained well and happy in what it's doing. I want the horse to know it's basics.

Do your homework and keep a close eye on things- this trainer is now your 'employee'. I have heard of trainers who charge someone for a class when their horse was never shown- who claim they are training when they have hired help that may not know much actually working the horse, etc...

Read the fine print and understand your expenses before you ever sign anything. Guess I am a little leary and have seen too many bad things over the years.

You've gotten some great advice! Lot's of knowledgeable people on this forum, that's for sure. Here are my thoughts:

Do you pick a trainer closer to home or closer to Worlds & Nationals to cut expenses?

I personally do not use this as criteria at all.

How do you know which trainer would be best for your horse?

I personally pick one that focuses on my interest - halter vs driving or maybe both. I only do halter at this time, so I choose based on that. I also insist that my trainer use only humane methoed and that the horses are all happy to be doing what they are doing. If my horse looked "afraid" of the person on the end of the lead, I'd be outta there so fast!

Does the most expensive = the best?

No way! I used to think this was probably true, then after using several different trainers over the years, I found out it's just not the case. Also, this last year, a trainer offered to take one of my horses and I thought well, he/she really isn't a "top trainer" so maybe I could afford it. I asked how much and was totally shocked to learn he/she charged the same as the most expensive trainers out there!
default_new_shocked.gif
I politely declined.

What credentials do you look for in a trainer?

I look for win record, but I also look at what facilities they offer - especially indoor ones so I know my horses can be worked even with the weather is bad. I also don't want someone who has had complaints against them with the registries, law suits, etc. And I want references...not just from current clients, but from others who've watched them train over the years. As someone else said, you will get a wide range of feedback - some good, some bad - on EVERY trainer. You just need to weed through it and decide what you feel is legitimate and what is just sour grapes.

Any do's and don't's I should know about?

Don't try and tell your trainer how it should be done. Of course, if your horse legitimately needs something special - feed, hoof care, etc., then inform them of that, but don't try to tell them their job. They know what they are doing, if not, you shouldn't be spending your hard-earned money with them. Also, when the horse is with the trainer, you no longer have control over the horse. What I mean, is obviously it's still your horse and you should take control if you see something you don't like, but don't barge into their barn like you own the place. You don't. When I have a horse with a trainer and I visit, I do not even give the horse a treat without asking permission. You never know what kind of plan the horse is on and you can really mess it up if you just start feeding the horse without asking. Also, I never even take the horse out of the stall at a show without asking first. Why? Because I don't know their schedule. Maybe my horse is next in line for a bath or facial. If I take the horse for a walk I could put their whole schedule behind and a trainer has their schedule down for a show and it's often timed to the minute. I don't want to be the cause of that type of interruption. Do pay your bill on time! That money is needed to feed the horses and properly care for them

Do you/can you use a stallion in show training for breeding purposes or does that distract him too much?

I personally would never, but I know others have done so.

If you do bring him back home for breeding, how long would you have him at your farm?

See above.

Are trainers understanding of you wanting to breed to your stallion or do they take offense?

If I were a trainer, I wouldn't want to deal with it.

In general, go to shows and watch the different trainers. Also walk around the grounds and watch them working/prepping their client horses. You will learn a TON by doing that. You will see the good and the bad and will be better able to form your own opinion.

Also, if you want to also show ammy and need some guidance, make sure your trainer is open to not only training your horse, but you. Not all are. I've noticed with the economy being bad that more trainers that never did ammy or youth are starting to take on those types of clients, but that doesn't mean they are any good at it. There are a few trainers who are known for being good at helping ammys, so if you're interested in that, you can PM me and I'd be happy to give you my opinion on who those are.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
I'd like to say there is some exceptional good advice in this thread! I wish I had some of you as clients! Many people have the misconception that training is easy work and we're out for the money. Being a trainer is one of the hardest jobs I have ever had. My success is dependent on a judge pinning my client's horse 1st. Talk about stressful! Many younguns look at trainers and think its a viable full time career. For some it is...but for most of us, we have other income because depending on the horse industry and the clients isn't always reliable (like right now!). Treat a trainer right and they will treat you right!

I agree with what has been said so far.

I would like to also add, that as a trainer, make sure your horse is the caliber it needs to be to win on the National or World level.

Go to shows. Look at breed magazines. Before you invest in training and showing, judge your horse against what you see winning in the show ring. While any horse that is conditioned and fit will look better than a horse in pasture condition, the competition is fierce for top honors and the horse needs to be a top quality horse to be competitive.
This is an excellent point. You must really look at your horse with a critical eye. Is it really worthy of spending a couple of thousand dollars on? I personally this last summer took a filly to a trainer. After a month we mutually agreed that she wasn't quite ready and I brought her home. The trainer could have easily said, sure, she's fine, I'll keep her, but he said that she needed more time to mature. It saved me money and disappointment! Some trainers will take any horse no matter what in order to bring in the bucks.

Latest posts

Back