decent sewing machines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky seven

Reaction score
Haven't posted in a long time, I had surgery for breast cancer and now will be having chemo and radiology, I tried to make a practice quilt square that my sister in law told me about. My older Kenmore had such a temper tantrum that I said "no more" and took screw drivers to it so now it's in pieces. Short of having humpty dumpty put back together, does anyone recommend the in-expensive brother ($79.99) or singers sold at walmart? It won't be over used, just when I can physically sit at a machine on my good days?

Love seeing all your projects.

I do not recommend those machines you listed at Walmart, especialy the Singer. I bought a new machine a few years ago after struggling with my old White that was 30 years old. It is a Kenmore model 385. the middle of the line machine, not very expensive, at Sears and I love it. Easy to use and ended my frustration with the old one.

Last edited by a moderator:
For just piecing, a Janome Jem would be a good choice, they are small portable models (mine was a little over $200 a couple years ago). If you think you might do a bit more, the Kenmores at Sear's are said to be good, and I think they are made by Janome. [Check with a sewing machine shop and see if they have any used machines, you might get more bang for your buck.] I'm headed out the door or I'd see what else I could come up with.

My older Kenmore was made by Janome but I don't think the new ones are. I also looked at singers at Joanns when I was in there last time. I've heard that singers is a no no. I do have a local Janome dealer and did see their basic model for around $200. I will keep looking and probably do my piecing by hand until I can afford a better entry level machine. I will check my local quilt shops to see if they have any trade-ins.

I recommend the Brother SE400. I got it for under $300. Its a great machine and it also does embroidery which is a lot of fun. You can buy it through the walmart website.

Thanks, my daughter wants to do embroidery, I will tell her about that machine and look into it as well. Having other stitches would be fun to play with.

The Brother SE400 has about 100 built-in embroidery designs, but you can also download them to your machine as long as they are a 4x4 size or smaller. If you ever have any questions about it let me know.

I checked that one on their website. Wish they had it in the store as I like to check them out. After a Drs. appointment I stopped in a quilt shop that I hadn't been in before and looked at the Pfaff's she sells. I practiced on a 160s Smarter Pfaff and really liked it. It sells for $299.99 her price, I forgot to ask about trade in value. Right now I'm hand quilting a Christmas present so when I'm done and ready for a new project I'll make my final decision. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back