Deafness in Overo Paints

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelterwood

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm attaching a picture of my coming 3 year old mare Sitka, who I rescued as a yearling from a situation where many minis/ponies were sharing small spaces with 2 stallions. She was wild and untouched, thin, wormy, and totally suspect of all human beings. Since I've had her home, something has always seemed a little "off" about her behavior. It's hard to put a finger on it, but she just didn't react normally to things. She has a willing personality, now that she trusts humans, but has not been as easy to train as her sister, although she is less of an alpha personality. She has been lunged and ground driven, and hitched to a training cart a handful of times as a two year old, all very brief, easy sessions. She has done well, but has never been as responsive to voice as her sister. The last month or so, as snow has been falling and driving slowing down, my goal with her has been to maybe once a week put a blindered bridle on her and ground drive, so she doesn't completely forget lessons, and for a break from their daily routine, but mostly to get used to the reduction of vision slowly and from the ground. Now that she is in blinders, she has totally stopped listening to me! I now have to cue her with the whip to get her to move off, change gaits, or stop.

Well, now I am thinking, and just a couple of weeks ago, on a sunny day, she was asleep in the pasture, and her sister was in the barn. My other mare came to meet me and beg treats, but Sissy never even flinched. I had made quite a bit of noise, and then actually walked out to her, calling her name, kissing, etc and she still never moved, not an ear, nothing. I didn't go up to her for fear she would wake up and freak out that I was right there. She eventually woke up on her own. She also rarely vocalizes, although at times when I am out with her sister I can hear her calling, but it is very high pitched. She never nickers. She also doesn't seem to hear cars approaching from behind, and will jump as they pass.

Do you think I am reading into all this? Has anyone had experience with deafness in minis or Shetlands (they are 40", and appear to be Shetland type ponies, I know nothing of their breeding, other than they could very well have been inbred rather closely!)? Is she a splash overo? Or a sabino? Can they be BOTH? She has two ice blue eyes, her face is totally white. The other side of her is very much like the side visible in the photo. 4 white hooves. She does have some roaning around her white areas and throughout her coat. I know nothing about color!

Anyone have experience training deaf horses, big or small? In particular I'm interested in hearing from those who may have ever trained a driving horse with a hearing impairment, and what issues they had. Due to the fact that driving requires A LOT of voice aids, I'm worried she may never be a safe driving horse. any thoughts are welcome. And her face is no where near as ugly as it looks in this picture!! Thanks!

Katie

Sitka.jpg

Bless her heart, you may not want to hear what I have to say, but here goes, alot of horses that carry splash white are deaf. After saying that let me tell you, they can feel vibrations and are dependent on their eyesight. I had a Dell Tera bred mare that had a blad face, blue eyes, totally deaf, but she was the greatest obstacle horse, as she would put her head down and look at everything. She was our Area one Champion. she has passed, and I miss her every day. If I were you I would get my vet out to confirm weather or not she can hear, and if she can't not to worry, she can do other things, like obstacle and jumping, and halter just like my girl did. Also she will bond with you like no other, you can be her ears. I'm crying now thinking about my Dell Teras Good Sign! My little Champion, your little girl can be a Champion too.

Riverrose,

Thanks for the input. No matter what, these girls are here to stay, so I will definitely find her an appropriate job, if she can't be driven. I guess I will have the vet out, maybe with my spring vaccines, and do the test. Has anyone ever had this done? Do most vets have the capacity to do this on-site, or would I most likely have to trailer her to a clinic? Is it expensive (well, relatively, in horse terms
rolleyes.gif
)?

I'm thinking now that the main difference is that she can no longer read my body language with the blinkers on. I'm sure while lunging and ground driving the smart little stinker could read cues visually that probably masked her hearing deficit. She does still tip her ears back as if she trying to listen.....is that just normal as she knows I'm back there, or do you think maybe she can hear some? She startles A LOT if I enter the barn and she has her head down eating or something, just little jumps, and then comes to see me. But her sister always hears me coming.

Thanks for the advice, and glad you had such a positive experience with a "special needs" horse, it's encouraging.

Katie

It's been my experience with a horse either blind or deaf that since they are prey animals will still act as normal as possable, hence the ear flicking. As you have noticed she is using her sight to read you and without it she is confused. At this time I have a splash white that I think is deaf, I just havn't confirmed it yet, but the vet checked my horse here on the farm with my first one, just alot of making noise and checking responses. Good luck, and you can send her here if you want I love her!
default_wub.png

I know someone with a deaf overo gelding that drives, so don't give up on your girl! I am not sure how he was trained and I am pretty sure the current owners bought him trained and knowing he is deaf.

Thanks Targetsmom!

I would never give up on her! She's an interesting girl with a funny personality, and now I'm beginning to see why. I'm going to post a new topic in the driving forum about this because my gut says that a deaf driving horse will have pros and cons, but she is funny because she never "spooks" per say, just jumps a bit, when something surprises her. It could be a potential pro to have lost hearing, as her sister spooks most consistently at things she can hear, but can't see. Once she can see them she's fine. So, I guess it's better than a blind horse! Anyway, I've learned a lot today on the internet, and here's an article on deafness in reining horse circles, which I had actually heard about but not associated with the overo pattern.

http://quarterhorsenews.com/index.php?Itemid=1&id=105&option=com_content&task=view

The sorrel youngster in the photo at the top looks EXACTLY like Sissy in her summer coat. She has the classic white face to above the eyes, then a straight line across where the sorrel starts, below the ears. And the blue eyes, which is similar to some dog breeds. The article says it's related to a lack of pigment in the inner ear.

Odd, but they are actively breeding this line of horse, despite the deafness, and clearly they feel like this is not really a handicap. While I have no plans to ever breed my misfit rescue mares, it also strikes me as ethically questionable.

Katie

Katie, I don't have much advice to offer other than that your mare is beautiful!! She looks like such a sweet heart
default_smile.png

Dan.

The deafness is often linked with the lack of pigmentation of the inner ear. It has to do with the nerve endings/receptors being deadened. I think there is much to be learned about this subject, but it seems very similar to dog breeds like Aussies. Many with excessive white around and in the ear suffer similar hearing loss issues.

deafness is common in splash, and overo horses. Some are deaf, and some can hear. Sometimes the deafness can be in a single ear, or it can be bilateral.

Thanks Dan! She is a sweetheart, a charmer, and bit of a brat!

Carolyn,

Yes, I learned that today about the pigmentation in the inner ear. Weird. I've known a couple of aussies that have been deaf, and all have done well, as long as they are kept safe and out of roads etc. Indeed, I have a lot to learn, and a whole new way of looking at her behavior. The other day, I went to put the blinkered bridle on her and she reacted oddly, pulling away and really avoiding the bridle. I gently scolded her and offered her the bridle again, which she accepted reluctantly. Now I know why she resented/feared this. I was taking away her best sense and defense, her peripheral vision! Not going there again!

Katie

deafness is common in splash, and overo horses. Some are deaf, and some can hear. Sometimes the deafness can be in a single ear, or it can be bilateral.
I agree...one of my breeder friends has a gorgeous mare I am thinking about buying....she is splash white and del Tera bred. She is totally deaf...she still does fine in the pasture..

My stallion is a black frame overo splash....yet he has his hearing...I have no idea what determines which horse has hearing and which don't...

I may have missed this earlier in your thread, but have you considered driving her in an open (non-blinkered) bridle?

While a deaf horse may do quite well, have a job, and be kept from harm, I'm bothered by the readiness of many to breed and thus perpetuate this handicap, whether it be for color or whatever reason.

Many animals with white spotting patterns, suffer deafness. In dogs, it is often associated with white ears/inner ears. Harlequin Great Danes, Border Collies, Boston Terriers and others, are often known with the problem. I imagine, it is no different in horses. However, I have not seen or heard of it, in Tobiano spotted horses. Only Frame.

In Gypsies, we have tons of animals with one or two white ears. In fact, it is considered by the Gypsies, lucky to have one white ear. We have no frame in Gypsies, just Tobiano spotting, so I think that makes the difference in not finding deafness in the breed.

Lizzie

Susanne,

I started a separate thread on the driving forum about what will now be my journey of trying to drive a deaf horse. I will NEVER put blinders on her again, now that the puzzle has come together. Not fair to her at all, and I assume I'm going to need to communicate with her via her vision to some degree anyway. She has been doing fine in an open bridle up to this point, ground driving all over, down the road, on trails. She only jumps a bit at cars if she is looking the other way, otherwise she is fine. It's so gosh darn obvious to me now that she can't hear! Just wish I could have put the pieces together sooner for her benefit.

Katie

Deafness is associated with the Splash overo. The markings on your mare are typical of one that could be deaf, not all marked that way are. A paint stud by the name of Colonels Smoking Gun(Gunner) is a splash overo that is deaf but has had an amazing career as a reining horse, LTE $177,670. Many of his foals have similiar markings and are deaf and have gone on to be wonderful reining horses also. I have seen Gunner many times and I am always in awe of him, another thing I have noticed with some of these horses is that they hold or even perhaps their ears are set a bit different on their head. It is hard to describe so I would suggest checking out Gunners pictures on McQuay Stables website to see what I am talking about. I think your beautiful mare can prove to be a wonderful asset and a great source of enjoyment for you.

I have a deaf mini gelding, he's been the easiest horse I have to train. Very willing, very sensitive. He was trained to drive when he was younger, and yes we used an open bridle. He's a splash pinto, ETA: I have read that 90% of them are deaf yet they still perform just fine. There are reiners, cutters, etc that are deaf, its not the end of the world, you just do things a bit differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been reading through this and am so pleased to see all of those who wouldn't consider 'throwing away' their horse as defective.
default_aktion033.gif
to you!

Cavallini Farms, where can I read on the studies that have found 90% of Splash pattern horses are deaf? I personally know of many splash horses but have only known of one to be deaf so I would like to read on this. Hmmm, Actually, I have several right now that are probably splash but not deaf.

I don't know where I read it, its been 4 years since I purchased him and discovered his deafness so who knows where the article was at this point...

I also recall the article saying the splash pintos look as though they have been held from the top and dipped straight down into white paint. My gelding has one large spot on his rump, the rest of his body and head are white, and he's got two blue eyes. His pattern matched the article photos.

Anyway, I guess my point was missed, it was that he is a super gelding and I've had no problems with him. He's a keeper for sure. I wish you luck with yours and hope you have as much fun with them as I do with Zig
wub.gif

I just did a google search and can't find that article, but I did find one saying MOST splash pintos are NOT deaf! Please ignore my previous post, clearly I got bad info (who knew everything you read on the web isn't true?!)
new_shocked.gif
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back