Day Off Between Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
Jessie was in the inside arena with Ellie and was working on stopping in the middle of the arena and backing and stepping forward again. I was at the other end of the arena. All of a sudden Jessie yells "Ellie's Down". I had Missy on a lounge line and started letting it out as I went running to Jessie and Ellie. Jessie Jumped out of the cart and held Ellie down at the head. I had to choose. Do I keep a hold on Missy or get Ellie free. I figured Missy would not get past the barns so I dropped the lounge line and went to get Ellie free. First I released the traces. Then I unbuckled the shaft loop. Next was the Shaft wrap. At that point I was able to unbuckle the gig saddle and she was free. At that point Jessie had gone after Missy and I re-harnessed Ellie and we did more practice on stopping in the center of the ring and backing and stepping back forward to a stop. After she did it right we let her go back to the barn. Bad behavior does not end a training session.

I'm confused- what happened to cause her to go down?
default_wacko.png
I'm glad everything came out okay in the end and no one was hurt.

Leia

I'm also confused as to what happened, but am with you not to every let a training session end on a bad note and imo all interaction on some level IS a training session. I'm happy everyone's okay.

The accident was a combination of things. 1) the horse has only been in training in an easy entry cart for 6 weeks. 2) the show cart I ordered and what I got were 2 different things. I ordered a 48" shaft and I got a 54" shaft and didn't know it until I got the horse in the cart at the show. 3) Ellie (the horse) didn't like going into the center to line up and stand.

Jessie was practicing going into the center to stand and Ellie reared, went too high and went over. I was just thankful that Jessie had presence of mind to hold the horse on the ground until I could get there to help. We did put her back into the harness and made her do what was asked of her. Yesterday, even though the cart still doesn't fit she went into the center and stood like a lady and gave no problems. She took 4 - 3rds.

Latest posts

Back