David's 11th Birthday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
[SIZE=21pt]CHURCHILL[/SIZE]

As some folks may know, David has a high-functioning form of autism called Aspergers Syndrome. It seems the teen years might be sneaking up on him and just "had a feeling" he needed a constant companion.....living out in the country. Churchill came home on Sunday.

As we were leaving school today, David's teacher said this has been his BEST WEEK EVER.....very calm, stress free!

Interestingly, when he was four and still not talking, we bought a St. Bernard in hopes that "fuzzy therapy" would take its course. Within 1-1/2 months, David was talking in perfect sentences!

P.S. - David is fixated on World War II history and its airplanes, guess that's why he named his puppy Churchill.......hear that Fizz!

Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]FABULOUS!!! what kind of dog is Churchill?[/SIZE]

Lyn

oh cindy that is just super

you're the best mom

now where are the pics
new_shocked.gif

hi cindy

im glad david is doing so well.

my neice that i raised with aspergers is not doing well at all
sad.gif
Im really concerned about her as she seems to have regerssed again about 4 years. sighs

kay

DunPainted said:
[SIZE=21pt]CHURCHILL[/SIZE]As we were leaving school today, David's teacher said this has been his BEST WEEK EVER.....very calm, stress free! 

P.S. - David is fixated on World War II history and its airplanes, guess that's why he named his puppy Churchill.......hear that Fizz!

Cindy

517514[/snapback]

I think that is great! Every boy needs a dog and it sounds like Churchill has opened a new way for him to release tension and have positive results at school. I recently met Gen. George Patton's grandson (George Patton-Waters) at the Vienna Lipizzan Stallion tour of America last weekend. The tour was the thank you to America commemorating the 60th Anniv. of Pattons rescue of the Spanish Riding School of Vienna's stallions during WWII.

Heidi

BTW, could David recommend any good books for me about that period of the stallion's rescue? I've requested a book at my library and also checked out a bookstore who had NO books on the subject...

Oh, thank you all for being so kind! It means so much more than you know!

Here are some photos of Churchill. He's 3/4 Blue Heeler and 1/4 Aussie Shepherd!

ChurchilFoot7Wks.jpg

ChurchillPeeking7Wks.jpg

Cindy

saludando.gif

Hi Heidi:

I just talked to David and he will research the topic for you. He knows all the battles, geographical locations, in the European, North African and Pacific. It'll be a terrific project for him to learn another angle of this part of the war. When we find one, I'll PM you!

Sounds like an interesting project.

Cindy

OH CINDY CHURCHILL IS A PERFECT NAME FOR HIM

THERE LIES A WISE OLD SOUL BEHIND THOSE WARM EYES
aktion033.gif

[SIZE=14pt]What a beautiful boy!!!! This dog is going to be Davids best friend..... the St was like the nanny but this dog is going to take David even farther!~[/SIZE]

Lyn

DunPainted said:
Hi Heidi:I just talked to David and he will research the topic for you.  He knows all the battles, geographical locations, in the European, North African and Pacific.  It'll be a terrific project for him to learn another angle of this part of the war.  When we find one, I'll PM you!

Sounds like an interesting project.

Cindy

518135[/snapback]

Wow! That would be wonderful, but tell him not to put himself out...I'm sure I'll eventually be able to track down a book. I just wanted to know more in depth about it than what they said at the Performance I attended.

There was something about the Germans had the horses, Russia was moving in to take them and the Germans approached the Americans about saving the horses from the Russians...(?)

Heidi

wub.gif
Churchill is so cute
wub.gif

Happy Birthday to David - what a great gift. Animals are so good for people, it is amazing the positive effects they have on everyone.

A guy I work with hates all animals - I just don't understand this, there is definately something wrong with this man.

What a great little puppy for a wonderful boy, I'm happy David finally has Churchill home!
wub.gif

Cindy,

What darling pictures!! Churchill is just adorable!! I am so glad that you got him for David! They are going to be an inseperable pair!

Hope David had a great birthday and give David and Churchill an extra special hug from me!!

Cindy, PLEASE wish David a
birthday.gif
from us. His new puppy is adorable, looks alot like Tammys blue heeler-Buddy. David, your a very special boy, I hope you had a wonderful birthday and have many fun-filled years with your new puppy. How does George like him?? Now you have 2 "friends" to sleep with. Corinne

Heidi said:
BTW, could David recommend any good books for me about that period of the stallion's rescue?  I've requested a book at my library and also checked out a bookstore who had NO books on the subject...
There's one book you'd have to order off the internet that I grew up reading. It's about the Arab Witez II and what happened to him during the war, but he was rescued with the Lippizaners and the story is incredible. I believe the book is called "And Miles to Go"...ah, yep, there it is on Amazon.

Amazon page for the book

BOTH of my Arabs are grandsons or great grandsons of Witez II, and we were always so proud that Bo looked so much like his grandsire. Witez was a fine horse.

Disney also did a movie on the rescue, and I know Marguerite Henry did a book on the white stallions but I can't remember if it covers the war.

DunPainted said:
Here are some photos of Churchill.  He's 3/4 Blue Heeler and 1/4 Aussie Shepherd!
ChurchilFoot7Wks.jpg

ChurchillPeeking7Wks.jpg

Cindy
Oh my gosh, that second picture is just ADORABLE!! We have a cattle dog and let me tell you they will keep him busy. That pup is going to be a working dog- help David train him to do agility or obedience. He'll need it and will be great at it and I bet David would get a great sense of pride out of the accomplishment.

Leia

hobbyhorse23 said:
There's one book you'd have to order off the internet that I grew up reading. It's about the Arab Witez II and what happened to him during the war, but he was rescued with the Lippizaners and the story is incredible. I believe the book is called "And Miles to Go"...ah, yep, there it is on Amazon.
BOTH of my Arabs are grandsons or great grandsons of Witez II, and we were always so proud that Bo looked so much like his grandsire. Witez was a fine horse.

Disney also did a movie on the rescue, and I know Marguerite Henry did a book on the white stallions but I can't remember if it covers the war.

520010[/snapback]

This is so funny! Saturday I picked up the book I requested at my local library...titled: "And Miles To Go"! I had read it in grade school and wanted to read it again. I also picked up at the library today, a book about the Lipizzans but it is not the type of book I was after. This book appears to be the size just right for grade school book reports...I was hoping for a more definitive book chock full of comprehensive info. I checked at Borders, but I'll have to go back and see about ordering a proper book.

I also purchased the DVD movie of Disney's "Miracle of the White Stallions" when I saw the Lipizzans a few weeks ago in Atlanta. Haven't watched it yet, as I am waiting for an evening hubby has time to watch with me.

Henry's book was about Hans, who wanted to become a rider and his journey and training to reach his goals. I don't think it covered the war.

I love the pic of Churchill peeking around the corner, but I like the one where he is playing with the "sock-foot". He looks like a fluffy toy!

Heidi

Latest posts

Back