David Powell Benefit Auction online

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimomNC

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to take a few minutes to let everyone know about the online benefit auction going on now for a wonderful person in our horse family. David Powell was diagnosed with a brain tumor in Sept and had surgery that was able to remove 80% of the tumor. He has started radiation to hopefully keep the tumor from growing back. While most everyone won't know David by name, he is the husband to Dr Cheryl Powell, known on here as 4mymirage. Cheryl has been a wonderful friend to a lot of us on here and has been there for a lot of people that have had issues at the horse shows she attends. I think she does more vet work at Nationals every year than the vet on call. She never turns down anyone that needs help and rarely charges anymore more than what her supplies cost her if she remembers to do that.

Now they are in need and while we can all only do so much, all of use together can make a huge impact on this family. Their medical bills alone are astonishing and with ongoing treatment, they continue to go up. They have sold off a lot of horses already and while they do have insurance, its only pays a fraction of what the total amounts are. So in order to help out a family that has helped so many others, a benefit auction was put together. Many people have donated items (these are not tax deductable because this isn't a non profit) and people are bidding daily. Some of the items will end this coming week and next week in time for shipping for Christmas gifts. There is an oil painting that can get a certificate and will be done by an artist from photos the recipent picks, there are miniature horse books, Breyer Miniature horse models, horse blankets, gift items and beautiful blankets and throws to keep us humans warm too. Some of the items ending in Jan and Feb are breedings to some outstanding stallions that never stand to the public including JC's Jenga, First Knights Dream Come True, McCarthys Hersey Swirl and Michigan A Voter With Class. This is just a few of the fine stallions to bid on. Most items come with free shipping and most of the stallions come with free mare care, so this is a chance to get alot with a bid.

A huge thank you to everyone that got this auction going and to Mary Lou for allowing us to post this online. Without the help of everyone, this wouldn't be possible. So take a look and bid often. And even if you can't bid, saying a little pray for the family is always a blessing.

David Powell Benefit Auction

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen, you said it all in a nut shell. I have known the Powells for sometime. One of the very first people we met at our first horse show. In fact, I met Cheryl because someones horse was colicy and I bumped in to her as she was delivering Banamine to help with the pain. I did not know she was a vet and remember thinking OH MY GOLLY. Cheryl has been to my rescue many times. She is my vet and dear friend. I have watched her daughter Heather grow from an energetic child to a beautiful, caring young woman.

Many people do not know, but David and Cheryl both serve on their small towns Fire Department and Emergency Squad. In fact, Several years ago Cheryl sent in a letter to a contest for Fire Departments. The winner would receive a new RED FIRE ENGINE for their company. Cheryls letter won the contest. Both Cheryl and David give to their community and others out of their love for people and animals. They are going to be the first one to jump in the freezing water to pull someone out. The first to dive into that burning car to save the life of another person. Cheryl pulls long hours and still keeps on going. You were right on Karen when you said they give so much of themselves. This Family deserves what little we can give. I know times are tight. But we all have something laying around that we could do without.

We are hoping to keep the auction ongoing, kinda like ebay. Having something available to take the slot of a lot when it is sold. To do this we need people to keep their minds open to anything they may come across cleaning their barns, tack, gift items. Anything that may make a differance to David and Cheryl. Are you crafty, several people have donated Items they have made.

I personaly would like to Thank You Mary Lou, Karen Hunter and Heather Troglauer for all your hard work in making this auction a reality. I want so much to lift this burden from David and Cheryl, they have enough to deal with this Season of their life. And I would Personally like to Thank all those who have donated items and to those people bidding and I Thank everyone for their donations and bidding in the future to keep this auction going as long as David and Cheryl have a need.

Thank you Mary Lou for the donations, that is wonderful. Thanks to everyone that has donated or bid on items. Be sure to check often for more added items.

One of the amazing donations is custom painting by a local artist in NC. She has been painting for over 30 years and done incredible work of both animals and humans. Below is one of her works that she did for me. I love my painting because I love Tate so much. I will cherish this for the rest of my life. So now is your chance to get one of your own.

This is my painting.

tatepainting.jpg

Here are a couple of photos she used to do the painting.

tate2.jpg

tate1.jpg

Thank you Mary Lou for the donations, that is wonderful. Thanks to everyone that has donated or bid on items. Be sure to check often for more added items.

One of the amazing donations is custom painting by a local artist in NC. She has been painting for over 30 years and done incredible work of both animals and humans. Below is one of her works that she did for me. I love my painting because I love Tate so much. I will cherish this for the rest of my life. So now is your chance to get one of your own.

This is my painting.

tatepainting.jpg

Here are a couple of photos she used to do the painting.

tate2.jpg

tate1.jpg

WOW!

Thank you all, I do love my Tate and the painting is wonderful. The artist is going to photograph it for me so I can use it on other things, like mouse pads, t-shirts, cup holders, lots of things she also does.

Some other amazing items are breeding to outstanding stallions that don't normally stand to the public. A breeding to mulitple World and National Champion producing stallion, Little Kings Black Velvet, thats just not something you can get every day. A huge thank you to Wade Burns and Jon Woodring of Lucky Four Farms for donating this breeing.

JC's Jenga, what more needs to be said, he is one of the most incredible show horses and sires. Thank you Stepping Out Miniatures for this donation, someone is going to be very lucky.

There there is First Knights Dream Come True, mulitple World and National Champion sire, national champion Get Of Sire, and a winning show horse himself. He has proven time and time again what an outstanding sire he has come to be. Thank you so much to Mulligan Run Farm for not only their donation but all of the work they are doing on this auction.

So now is the time to take a look at the auction, there could be the foal of your dreams that is just a bid away. Plus all money raised goes to the family, no one is taking anything out of this auction for any expenses. The Powell Family will get every penny raised, so please bid if you can and if you can't, prayers are always a wonderful gift too. If anyone would like to send David a card, just pm me and I will get the address for you.

Thank you everyone.

I have been bidding on one item karen I got a email back from Heather to say are u sure you want to bid that much. I sent her an email back saying YES I DO.. This is for a good cause. I said it did not matter if I got the item or not I just raised more money for this family..

Most of the people on there has including shipping on there items. I feel like you do need to bid high on those items.

I hope i will get my item if not then It was not meant to be..

The Powell family are great people..

Thank you Karen Donna and Heather and anyone eles I did not name you are doing a great thing. Hope santa thinks about this...

Diane

Diane, I think (obviously) don't know for sure...you and I may be "competing" on the same thing!lol But I feel as you, its for a great cause and if I win, I win. If not, someone else is going to get a chance of a lifetime. It's all for the Powell's.

This is so wonderful
default_aktion033.gif
that all these different people are coming together!! Awesome! This is such a great idea to raise money for the Powells. I would love to bid on a couple of the breedings but the distance between them and me is too far, but there are some great stallion breedings being offered! Even though I do not know the Powells I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Diane, I think (obviously) don't know for sure...you and I may be "competing" on the same thing!lol But I feel as you, its for a great cause and if I win, I win. If not, someone else is going to get a chance of a lifetime. It's all for the Powell's.

We just might be lol This is for a great cause... I really hope more come out and bid on these items. some are including shipping so bid high

Time to get those last minute bids in for several items ending in less than two hours. 8 pm EST there are beautiful throws, Breyer Model horses, Color & Go bag and a stunning glass etched Ice Bucket from Cherokee Stables Engraving. I would make a beautiful centerpiece display. So go bid and bid alot.

Thank you all for your support.

Karen

HI

On behalf of my husband, daughter and myself I would like to send a heartfelt thank you to everyone who is helping with the auction, donating to it and bidding on items. We have been humbled and honored to have such an outpouring of prayers, healing wishes and generosity from all the people involved - ranging from those we value as good friends to acquaintances to strangers with big hearts.

For those who don't know, our "thing" with the minis is jumping and driving :). At nationals this year, we had our hearts set on a neck ribbon for Frankie and David. Imagine our disappointment then fear when we watched them go off course then found the reason to be sudden blindness for my husband David. A flurry of doctors visits followed with the announcement Oct 20 that "you have a brain tumor the size of a small egg and we are going to cut a hole the size of a baseball in your head to remove it". Nov 1, David underwent a 3.5-4 hour surgery but only 80% of the tumor could be removed. A week later, we were told that it was a benign tumor but was behaving like a cancer - trying to grow and interfering with normal brain functions so now he is in his second week of daily radiation treatments (6-7 total weeks).

The cards, emails, phone calls and comments have bolstered David's spirits every day!

Thanks again

HA! I've been the high bidder for almost 12 hours now!!! That's got to be a record.

Parmela, best of luck to you, I know your excited.

Bidding for the custom painting ends this week on Dec 23 so get your bids in, this will be a treasured keepsake. Another wonderful item ending on Dec 22 is a photo shoot in Eastern NC or at Williamston, NC in mid April at the East Coast Spring Fling, it will be your choice. It can be horses, people, pets, whatever you can shoot in one hour and included the photos on disc. Please check it out and bid on these wonderful gifts.

Also thank you to everyone that has bid on items, lets keep it going. We are also still taking any donations. Remember, one mans junk is another mans treasure, so if you have anything you would like to donate, please let Heather or Donna know.

Thank you

Karen

Just one correction, we are in Central North Carolina. We are willing to travel up to two hours to do a farm shoot, family shoot or pets (that would include Charlotte, Raliegh Greensboro areas) We also have a studio were we can do people or pets (just not horses) We can also set up a shoot at the ECMHC Spring Fling in Williamston NC in April.

The package include the shoot and a CD of the images.(usually between 15-40 useable images depending on how cooperative the subjects are) This is a $600 value.

here are some examples of our work

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_6199e.jpg

IE0Q1757.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

Lynne and David

Uwharrie Studios

Bidding for the custom painting ends this week on Dec 23 so get your bids in, this will be a treasured keepsake. Another wonderful item ending on Dec 22 is a photo shoot in Eastern NC or at Williamston, NC in mid April at the East Coast Spring Fling, it will be your choice. It can be horses, people, pets, whatever you can shoot in one hour and included the photos on disc. Please check it out and bid on these wonderful gifts.

Also thank you to everyone that has bid on items, lets keep it going. We are also still taking any donations. Remember, one mans junk is another mans treasure, so if you have anything you would like to donate, please let Heather or Donna know.

Thank you

Karen

Please take time to check out the online auction, never can tell what treasure you will find there. Today is the last day for bidding on the custom painting. Bidding ends at 8 PM EST time tonight.

Thank you to everyone that is currently bidding or have won auctions, everything is so appreciated.

Just a reminder that this auction is still up and running. We have several items ending tonight at 8 pm EST and several items coming up with an ending date of January 31, many of which are Stallion Services. It's worth taking a look at.

These are very low bids on these Stallions, some of which are not normally offered to the public! Get your bids in now!

We have new items being placed in the catalog soon so that we may continue to support this wonderful family. Many thanks to all who have participated with donations and with bids.

David Powell Benefit Auction

Back