Dasher my rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
The little dude has been in my care for 6 weeks now. I am really enjoying watching him come out of his shell. He now runs and bucks with Bailey and Willow and neighs when he is called down for dinner.

He is steadily gaining weight and tonight I clipped away his stubborn winter coat, shocking job, sorry Dash!

Dasher 6 weeks ago....

039.jpg

Pics I took tonight.....

003.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

He is really such a great little pony. He stood very still while I clipped him, he was such a good boy. It was Bailey and Willow who were naughty!!! Especially Bailey, pawing at me while I'm trying to clip.. Bailey boy gets a bit jealous
default_wink.png

Wow, this little guy is looking good after only 6 weeks! Kudos to you
default_aktion033.gif

What a beautiful face, he looks very happy
default_wink.png

Thanks guys.

We still have a way to go with Dasher. It's hard to see in the photos, but he has no topline, his spine is still visible. His muscle tone is starting to improve now which is good to see. His hips are filling out nicely now too.

He should have never been in such poor condition, he was starving
default_sad.png

I'm so glad I could offer him a home with lots of food, shelter and love, even if this home isn't permanent.
default_wub.png

The little dude has been in my care for 6 weeks now. I am really enjoying watching him come out of his shell. He now runs and bucks with Bailey and Willow and neighs when he is called down for dinner.

He is steadily gaining weight and tonight I clipped away his stubborn winter coat, shocking job, sorry Dash!

Dasher 6 weeks ago....

039.jpg

Pics I took tonight.....

003.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

He is really such a great little pony. He stood very still while I clipped him, he was such a good boy. It was Bailey and Willow who were naughty!!! Especially Bailey, pawing at me while I'm trying to clip.. Bailey boy gets a bit jealous
default_wink.png
You have done wonders, well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a difference. He looks great! Very cute pony
default_aktion033.gif

He's looking great! I don't remember what you said you are feeding. What protein is he getting?

You call him a pony; did you mention originally how tall he is?

btw I really like his halter.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
He looks excellent! He is a lucky boy! He has a very "kind" eye to him!

I'm so glad you got him! He is really very nice looking too. You've got a swan on your hands. Love him!
default_wub.png

What a nice looking little guy, and KUDDOS for all the care you've given him!
default_thumbup.gif

He's looking great! I don't remember what you said you are feeding. What protein is he getting?

You call him a pony; did you mention originally how tall he is?

btw I really like his halter.
Sorry for the confusion there! Here in Australia, we have miniature horses and miniature ponies. To keep it simple, mini horses are much more refined while the mini ponies are like your older style mini horses with a heavier build. This is a description of a mini pony taken from Australian Miniature Pony Society Inc website.

Ears - Small to Medium Size

Head - Comparatively small. head well in proportion to the rest of the body; profile straight or slightly concave (dished) below eyes; comparatively small muzzle, round expressive eyes set well apart, comparatively short distance between eye and muzzle.

Teeth - Should meet evenly, no more than 3mm variation acceptable.

Neck - Lightly crested on mares and moderately crested on stallions. The length of the neck will be proportional to the body.

Body - Should have well sprung ribs, a generous girth, a slight natural curve in the back and a strong well rounded rump; the whole body shall present a picture of balance and shall be in proportion for the height. The body should not be coarse or overlong.

Legs - Straight, true and squarely set, straight sound flat bone, strong forearm, short cannon bone, strong sloping pasterns.

Action - Should be smooth showing free flexion of the joints without exaggeration.

Colour - All colours are acceptable.

Size - MUST measure 87cms or under, measured at the highest point of the wither. The pony must stand naturally with head held in a natural position and all four hoofs standing squarely on the ground (not stretched).

I believe that Dasher's parents were registered mini ponies, not mini horses. Even though he looks rather refined at the moment, he is actually a much stockier little dude when his health is 100%. He has a thick mane and tail, thicker neck set and a more 'pony' style face which is typical of mini ponies. They are really more like a miniature UK shetland pony.

The funny thing is that there are horses and ponies that could cross over into both societies. Kind of like Bailey. When is he fat, like he is most of the time, he could be considered a pony. Once I have his weight off and he is toned up, he is a mini horse! LOL.

I am feeding Dasher free choice hay, free access to the back field with lots of grass, and then twice a day he gets a scoop of lucerne/oaten chaff with a scoop of a palleted feed which is 17% protein and now I'm introducing another rice based feed which is 13% protein. He also gets his vitamins and minerals mix.

He looks sensational! Congrats on a job well done!
wub.gif
aktion033.gif

What a great job! He is looking wonderful! Doesnt even look like the same horse and totally different color with all that nasty dead hair gone too! WOW! Keep up the great work and I agree- he looks very happy.

Latest posts

Back