Dark Buckskin or smokey black?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I have a mare that is Black in winter, summer looks golden brown with black points. I believe she carrys cream as she has had a palomino foal, unlikely from the sire. I am searching for more of her foals. In the summer her head, neck and body turn golden even under her mane, so I dont think she fades.

But I dont think that a dark buckskin would be black in winter either? so I think smokey black, but do smokey blacks have black manes, tails and legs too?

Pictures might help us a lot, but genetic testing would give the accurate answer.

Sorry meant to post pics! lol, I could test, i know, but wondered what yall thought...

this is her in winter:

sorry nite time pic but she is lighter now...

more coming...

Ugh I have it on my phone cant get it loaded...

I'd say smokey black
default_smile.png

You cannot tell with out testing. Buckskins can look dark bay, and smokey blacks often look pitch black.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a black mare out of a silver dapple and black that does the same..the sun actually bleaches her to a coppery bay with black points.

I have a mare like this too. Mine turns chocolate brown in summer, though. And she's a funny colored black. Her breeder and I are wondering if she's actually a very dark bay (I believe her dam is registered as a bay, and is a funny color black like Gemini). She looks black sometimes, though, so she's just odd colored half the time. It's ok, I like her, and she's appearing to be turning out to be a really good broodmare.

Here's my Rowdy granddaughter, Gemini. Her 2012 son appears to be doing the same thing... born jet black, now he's a chocolaty brown, but is shedding off darker. I included a pic of him, so you can see what he looks like. You can also see how big he is... if anyone is looking for a tall funny colored black colt for driving once he's old enough, I've got a good one.

The really brown, slick coat picture is recent. Please forgive her belly, her very robust colt is 2 months old now, and we're feeding her accordingly. She's taken to being a broodmare like a champ (including the broodmare belly). The darker picture with the actual green (!!!) paddock was taken in March. Wish my paddocks looked like that now
default_sad.png

Here's my Rowdy granddaughter, Gemini, and her 2012 colt, Playboy.

0717121704-03.jpg

gemini march 17 2012 x2.jpg

0717121704-01.jpg

Latest posts

Back