Quantcast

Dark Buckskin or smokey black?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I have a mare that is Black in winter, summer looks golden brown with black points. I believe she carrys cream as she has had a palomino foal, unlikely from the sire. I am searching for more of her foals. In the summer her head, neck and body turn golden even under her mane, so I dont think she fades.

But I dont think that a dark buckskin would be black in winter either? so I think smokey black, but do smokey blacks have black manes, tails and legs too?

disneyhorse

Reaction score
Pictures might help us a lot, but genetic testing would give the accurate answer.

Bonny

Reaction score
Sorry meant to post pics! lol, I could test, i know, but wondered what yall thought...

this is her in winter:

sorry nite time pic but she is lighter now...

more coming...

Bonny

Reaction score
Ugh I have it on my phone cant get it loaded...

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
You cannot tell with out testing. Buckskins can look dark bay, and smokey blacks often look pitch black.

Last edited by a moderator:

mini horse mania

Reaction score
I have a black mare out of a silver dapple and black that does the same..the sun actually bleaches her to a coppery bay with black points.

bluerogue

Reaction score
I have a mare like this too. Mine turns chocolate brown in summer, though. And she's a funny colored black. Her breeder and I are wondering if she's actually a very dark bay (I believe her dam is registered as a bay, and is a funny color black like Gemini). She looks black sometimes, though, so she's just odd colored half the time. It's ok, I like her, and she's appearing to be turning out to be a really good broodmare.

Here's my Rowdy granddaughter, Gemini. Her 2012 son appears to be doing the same thing... born jet black, now he's a chocolaty brown, but is shedding off darker. I included a pic of him, so you can see what he looks like. You can also see how big he is... if anyone is looking for a tall funny colored black colt for driving once he's old enough, I've got a good one.

The really brown, slick coat picture is recent. Please forgive her belly, her very robust colt is 2 months old now, and we're feeding her accordingly. She's taken to being a broodmare like a champ (including the broodmare belly). The darker picture with the actual green (!!!) paddock was taken in March. Wish my paddocks looked like that now

Here's my Rowdy granddaughter, Gemini, and her 2012 colt, Playboy.

0717121704-03.jpg

gemini march 17 2012 x2.jpg

0717121704-01.jpg

Latest posts