Dangerous objects found in premium name-brand horse feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogs & LittleHorses

Reaction score
I just found two large flakes of rusty iron in my Allegra senior formula pelleted feed! I can't imagine what kind of damage this would do to my poor girl's throat...
default_no.gif

The bag lists the place of milling as being located in Bellevue, Washington. It's a senior formula in a blue bag. PM me if you need more information. I've been feeding this brand for years and never had a problem.

I left a voice mail with the company this weekend and will post an update when (if) they respond. I have the bag with the lot number.

Anyone else ever had a problem like this? Yikes.

Daryl

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I had a simialar experience, also with senoir feed, I found glass in it. looked like from a broken bulb. Had to throw it out. Won't give names, but never again.

OMG!!!

Call the manufacturer! They will take care of you and refund.

Im glad you found it before ur horsies did! Same for you Riverrose28!

I've found a large number willow seeds in couple bags of senior feed from a big name brand. I also found a smaller number of seeds in the mini/pony feed from the same company. I couldn't find information about whether they were bad for a horse to ingest, so I had to pick them all out. It was about 10 seeds per cup of feed. It was a pain in the butt and made me wonder what else slipped into the bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a situation when switching to a new feed. It was a name brand feed and I believe it was a senior feed. Anyway, I started to notice little "foamy" clusters start to appear all in my feed bin. Looking closer, I noticed they were colonies of little yellow bugs! And millions! I immediately returned the feed and called the manufacture. My local feed store recieved many other complaints such as mine, that there were these little yellow bugs living in the feed upon opening a sealed bag. so they shipped the bug infested stock back to the manufacture and haven't had a problem since. But to be safe, I do not order feed of that brand.

We feed blue seal brand alfalfa cubes, and find wood pieces in (about 1/2 in thin and 1in long) in almost every other bag. We check very thoroughly for them though, and take the pieces back to our feed dealer. They just sent us a bunch of coupons. We have been doing this for about a month since we have been feeding the blue seal brand, but we will most likely be going back to stanlee brand as we did not have this issues.

Yikes! I havent but certainly something to be aware for everyone to be aware of to check your feed bags! Makes me wonder what may be invisible to us IN the feed pellets, etc... itself!

I found pieces just like that twice when I fed Purina Jr feed. I contacted the company and they said it was pieces of the machinery that had fallen in. They told me to return the bag to the feed store I bought it from but both times the bags were nearly gone and already dumped into our feed cans. I switched brands, and in six years I haven't had any issues with foreign objects yet.

A representative from the company just called, took down the information and asked me to drop off the iron flakes at the feed store where I bought the feed so that they could have someone pick them up to try and track down where they came from.

He sounded reasonably concerned and apologetic, and said that they would send me some coupons in the mail. He informed me that they have magnets that are supposed to catch stuff like this, but things can happen. It appears to me that the flakes had to have fallen in after the pellets were extruded, so it must be from hoppers, conveyors or bagging equipment downstream in the process line that has become old and rusty.

I'm on the fence as to whether and keep buying this brand or not. In any case, I'm going to keep an eye on what I am dumping in the feeders from now on, that's for sure!

Update:

I never received the coupons that he said that they would send, but worse yet the flakes that I dropped off at the feed store were still not picked up the last time I was there. This seems to indicate that they don't really care about what happened, which bothers me.

I have now switched away from Allegra feed products.

that is not good.. sorry they are not taking this serious.. if possible go higher up with that company...
default_thumbdown.gif

A few summers ago I went out to feed my horses their nightly grain and noticed the metal garbage can we kept it in was covered in white powder. It was strange, but I just brushed it off the lid, scooped out the grain, and went about my business. The next morning, I went out to feed and when I went to get grain, there was a lot more of the powder, again, strange, but I once again brushed it off, and continued on feeding. That night when I went out again, more powder, but this time, it was MOVING. My garbage can was covered in millions of tiny white bugs crawling all over, I removed the lid, and it was inside the can as well, all over the bag, the grain, feed scoops, everything (needless to say, the horses skipped grain that night). I had never seen anything like that before, but thought maybe the insects were inside the building somehow? I went back to the store the next day to pick up a new bag, and all the bags in the store were covered in the same white moving bugs, about the size of a grain of yeast. I alerted someone who was working, and had to go to 3 other stores before I could find the feed I needed (Nutrena Safechoice.) After that incident, I always look at the feed before I feed it, every scoop I take I check for abnormalities or anything strange before it goes near my horses. Thank goodness you found the pieces of metal before it was ingested!!

Dan.

I feed pellets, and now i am wondering whats chopped up and put in them??? oh my gosh, its kinda scary!

I quit using Allegra products about 6 or 7 years ago when I found seemingly that their quality control

had slipped greatly.

I'd used it since it first hit the market and had always been pleased with it.

We would open a bag and moth type flying insect-y things would fly out. Called the company and

they said it must be something in my container. I reiterated that it was upon opening the bag and

they weren't very interested. The feed store exchanged it.

Next thing to happen was finding what appeared to be what the feed store called cottonseed, that

is fed to cows? Allegra again seemingly wasn't concerned again as long as the feed store changed

out my bag for me.

So after probably 12 years of using Allegra I changed feed companies.

The place where we buy our feed now started carrying Allegra products about 4 months ago and said

that they'd probably discontinue the line as no one seemed to want to buy it.

Latest posts

Back