Danger to minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This horsekeeping practice needs to become Illegal ! I dont see how this could be safe for any animal. Electric fencing is very cheap, very safe ,and very easy to do... I just hate reading storys about people that do this to their animals. Cold , stupid , heartless people, the SPCA or Animal control should be notified. I would take photos and turn this idiot over to the animal wellfare before another animal suffers like this poor mare. I just cant imagine hooking a "flight animal " up to a cable and driving away...what goes on in peoples heads ? For me this would be like putting a rattlesnake in a childs playpen to play with , and then walking off. I swear sometimes I think animals have a higher IQ then humans... The human race is a huge dissappointment to me, when it comes to raising children, and animals.
no.gif

Thank you for caring enough to help her. Thank you for stepping up for her.

Bless your heart for removing the mare from a slow painful death. You are truly an angel. ((((( hugs)))))

Hoping for the best outcome for that poor horse. You are to be commended for making such a huge effort for this defenceless mare. Very, very sad.

Hoping you give us an update. I know we are all worried about her!

Thank you so much for rescuing that poor mare and giving her the humane treatment she deserves....even if it means having her put down. I wish there were more of you in the world and less of the people like the guy that had her and just didn't give a darn.

How awful! I wish there was more you could do to help her but the reality is sometimes tougher than what can be managed. Bless you for at least trying.

We will occasionally use a tie out but ONLY for up to 15-30 minutes and ONLY when we're within feet of the animal. For instance, I was bathing and clipping our two yearlings last weekend. After I bathed the first one, I tied her on the grass as a "reward" for doing so well during her bath, while i was bathing the other yearling. I was literally within feet of her and she was tied like that for about 30 minutes total. I've seen how quickly they *can* become entangled and how quickly they get panicked from it. I can easily envision how much of a disaster it could become.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would NEVER DREAM of staking out a horse of any size to eat grass... it is nothing but an accident waiting to happen. I have known of horses that got horrible rope burns when they got tangled, leg injuries and one person, who had had a full sized horse that was used a lot and had been staked out a lot, had it's neck broken. It decided it was play time and took off running- hit the end of the rope and broke it's neck. It happened in two seconds and the owner was right there... all he could do was see it happen.

BLESS YOU for getting that mare out of there, and the foal too.... but what a horrible tragedy could await the others with the same thing being done to them! Is there anything that can be done with the mare? What a horrible situation. Yep, you are an angel, and thanks for being willing to take on this mess. Poor girl!

Update

I just got on and read all your posts from last night. I appreciate your kind words, but anyone would have done the same if they had seen the situation. Mare and baby are back home now. Momma is a bit sore from all the efforts that were made and the 2 hour trailer ride she had to go through. She is mostly laying down today. The vet was very pleased with the progress made on her "good" leg. He said all that killed skin and tissue had to come off for the underneath tissue to heal and it is. It also looks like anything that was going to die from the lack of blood flow already has, so now it just has to heal. She wont loose any more tissue. The biggest problem is keeping the flies and gnats off. We can't bandage it as it needs air really bad. All that dead tissue over the top created quite a bed of infection. I have some various creams and potions to put on it that should help.

He also mentioned that false joint possibility. He said he had seen it in dogs and cats but never in a mini horse, but it could happen. He wasn't very hopeful because of the bone positions in this particular injury, but it could happen. I was really glad to hear that a mini out there somewhere had done it.

As for the "out of joint" phrase, I just used it as it got the point across on what type of injury it was. There is no ball joint in a front shoulder in a horse, but it is exactly as Minimor said. Where the humerous and scapula bones come together is a joint and that is where everything popped apart. In this case, the end of the humerous is sticking way forward causing a huge forward lump in her shoulder. The end of the scapula is about midway on the humerous, on the inside, pointing down. Basically, instead of the shoulder bones making a backwards letter Z, they make an X. She can't bring that leg forward at all, but she does use it for balance a little bit as she hops. It is the humerous that has the fracture at the end.

The plan is to keep her as comfortable and pain free as possible for a few weeks to a month and see what develops. This way, the baby can get the best chance, and we can see if there is any chance of a false joint forming. It will be an uphill battle because the other leg is so debilitated and will have to carry all the weight. Vet says she will very likely founder on that leg, just from having to carry all the load, and I should be prepared. Frankly, another issue is since she has had no supplemental feed, it will be hard to keep weight on her as I have to start so gradually. She can have as much hay as she wants and I am trying to pack as many calories as I can into each cup of feed, but the last thing I need to do to her is cause her to grain founder!! On the other hand, she is rail thin and nursing.

Anyway, we have a plan. Hopefully I am balancing her best chance of survival with quality of life correctly. It is a tough decision. Would it be more humane just to put her down? If she doesn't form that false joint, did I put her through extra weeks of pain for nothing? But what if it does form? Then her life is saved. Lots to figure out. I hope I'm up to the task. For now, it is wait and see.

How terribly sad and how incredibly kind of you to do everything you can for her. All i will say in regards to tying out a horse, is we don't even tie out the dogs
rolleyes.gif
Best of luck to you and the mare & foal.

Anyway, we have a plan. Hopefully I am balancing her best chance of survival with quality of life correctly. It is a tough decision. Would it be more humane just to put her down? If she doesn't form that false joint, did I put her through extra weeks of pain for nothing? But what if it does form? Then her life is saved. Lots to figure out. I hope I'm up to the task. For now, it is wait and see.
I would not second guess myself right now, I'd say she worked very hard to get to that foal, not worrying about herself at all. I have a feeling she would be grateful to you for helping her baby have a better life no matter the pain.

default_no.gif
So very sad.

pepperhill said:
As for the "out of joint" phrase, I just used it as it got the point across on what type of injury it was. There is no ball joint in a front shoulder in a horse, but it is exactly as Minimor said. Where the humerous and scapula bones come together is a joint and that is where everything popped apart. In this case, the end of the humerous is sticking way forward causing a huge forward lump in her shoulder. The end of the scapula is about midway on the humerous, on the inside, pointing down. Basically, instead of the shoulder bones making a backwards letter Z, they make an X. She can't bring that leg forward at all, but she does use it for balance a little bit as she hops. It is the humerous that has the fracture at the end.
Thank you for the explanation. That makes things much clearer! That poor mare....
default_no.gif

pepperhill said:
I agree with MiniH- it seems like this mare has been fighting hard for her baby so far and does not want to give up. I'd give her a chance and let the baby grow and see how she does. We'll all be praying for her! She's lucky to have you and I'm sure she knows she is now somewhere she's cared about and loved.

Can you put her in some sort of sling arrangement to help keep the weight off the other foreleg?

Leia

May I just say how wonderful I think you are to be doing all this to help this little mare - many people would not have bothered!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I agree with the others on here - as this sweet mare went through all this to protect and care for her foal, then she deserves a little more time to try to heal herself - provided of course that she can be kept relatively pain free. It is such a shame that her 'sound' leg is so badly affected, as it would no doubt help her take the strain if that leg could be strapped up with a support bandage.

Wishing you, the little mare, and her foal all the luck in the world. Prayers are being said here for all of you.

Anna

BLESS YOU FOR HELPING THIS MARE. CONTACT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF DEPT AND/OR ASPCA AS THERE ARE LAWS AGINST THIS KIND OF ABUSE.I'M ON MY SOAP BOX NOW BECAUSE I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH A SITUATION WITH A MINI. WHAT EVER THE OUTCOME SHE WILL ALWAYS BE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR HELP.

How so horribly sad. Bless you again!! How about beet pulp? Can you give her that along with her hay? Start her out on just a handful and increase it as she gets used to it and likes it? Poor girl...

They cant do ANYTHING for her shoulder? A chiropractor can't manipulate it back to sort of where it belongs? What a horrible situation for this little gal and thank you SO MUCH for doing your best with her and at least getting her and the baby OUT of there!! Please keep us posted how she does. Does she have a name?

Latest posts

Back