danger of foxtails in hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
Had the vet out to look at 2 of the weaners l was worried about because they were of feed and refused to drink water since late Saturday afternoon. Even refused beetpulp with extra added grain and soggy. Tried many times to drink and just held there mouths in the water but didn't drink. Turns out both had something like papercuts on there gums making them sore from some foxtail that was in one of the bales. The filly had 3 removed that were in more then halfway between her teeth and one was cut on his left inside cheek and he had to have his lights put out as another 2 were barely sticking out down near his throat . He told me he was lucky as it could have swollen and caused breathing problems for him. Always something..
default_sad.png

We bought 50 bales one year that turned out to be full of speargrass. Same idea - my old QH mare had ulcers in her cheeks and gums from where they stuck and stayed. Very nasty stuff.

Jan

OYYY !! Relic ~ you're VERY lucky that your vet was able to remove them.

Those little beggers can spell BIG BIG trouble for any animal unfortunate to come across them. We used to remove them left and right from the feet and noses of hunting dogs, at the vet's office.

Hope they feel better soon.

what is a foxtail?? Here i am thinking of an orange fluffy tail with a white tip on the end of it haning out of your horses mouth!

Sarah

weed link

Here is a picture. When you walk through them the little seedy things in the head stick to clothing and shoes and they poke. I have ruined many socks to this weed.

Here's a few foxtail. They get meaner as they dry and age during winter. We don't usually have any in the hay but weaners don't know any better and eat everything unlike the older been arounds who leave it. l just hope none ever gets in an eye we have the big rounds so wouldn't be hard to do..

foxtail002.jpg

Ugh - they are the WORST...last year I found foxtails in my horses' hay - my horse then developed a bad cough and even though my vet scoped my horse and couldn't find anything lodged, I am still convinced that a piece of foxtail was the cause of it all -

Glad your guys are okay.

Liz R.

Back