Dallisgrass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROWIRA

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's safe to feed hay that's a Bermuda/Dallisgrass mix to horses? I'm not familiar with Dallisgrass and am having trouble finding information on it. I was going to buy this hay for my cows, but if it's safe for horses I'll buy some for them as well.

I know it was mentioned in the vet book I was looking at today something like that it causes shakes or seizures. I would not risk it.

www.noble.org/ag/pasture

Didn't see Dallisgrass on here BUT...there are some good charts & info for several types of hay that show palatability, seasonal issues, facts regarding pastures (care/growth/seasons/haying, etc) from which many of us could get good info. Well, I did anyway.

My own search led me here as I was looking for pasture/hay info on crabgrass. It's quite present in my area, grows well and my pastures are loaded -- it was wild/free -- horses are in great shape, so my concern was any "issues" it might have. Happily I saw none and it was far better than assumed!

Google "Dallisgrass for pasture and hay" The first few lines seem to confirm what Charlottein says --- I'd read well BEFORE I used it for horses or cattle. I did not read all the info, you should for your own safety and decision.

Latest posts

Back