Daisys (sp?) -- the flower

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreAcres

Reaction score
I have some Daisys in one of my pastures and I am wondering if they are harmful to horses? My plan was to pull as many as possible, then mow the field as short as I can before my horse comes home on Saturday.

Should I risk putting him in there with the leftoever stems after I mow or should I pull them all/spray them?

Thanks so much!

Erin

Last edited by a moderator:
"Daisy" is a common name given to a multitude of herbaceous plants, so it's hard to tell whether you have a problem plant or not. Do you have a photo of your "daisy". Do you have a local area plant book that you can match your daisy to and come up with either a more complete common name, or better yet a scientific name? I have a lot of resources for toxic plants, and would love to help you figure this one out, but need more information.

Maybe some of the folks in your geographic area will respond, also.

Robin C

Sorry that I didn't clarify better...

By Daisy I mean the white flower that has the yellow center. Umm I will try to get a picture later this evening and post it. I will also go do a look-up on google and see what I can find.

Thanks so much for the help, Erin

~~~~~~~

Edited to add...

Here is a picture I just found online. This is what "my" daisys look like.

s-morning-daisy-9164.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That does help. Daisies in the Chrysanthemum family are mildly toxic. Ingestion may cause minor illnesses such as diarrhea and dermatitis.

Robin C

Do you think that by pulling the majority of them, then mowing as short as possible they would be okay? I would think that the plant wouldn't taste very good and therefore they wouldn't eat it as long as they had plenty of hay...

What are you opinion? What would you do given they situation?

I think you're safe.
wink.gif
We have our pastures literally FULL of those things! They multiply like wildfire, and fortunately, the horses do not eat them. We have no tractors/heavy equipment, so we never "work the soil", and unfortunately, the land is clay-based, so not much grows but the weeds. The horses manage to pick around it, but in summer, the fields are just white!! These two pics show you how they take over. The first was in June 2003, and the second one in June of this year....two separate (but adjoining) pastures.

daisy1.jpg

daisy2.jpg

We have the same type of daisies in one of our pastures. The horses won't eat them at all, and they are good for holding the soil and preventing erosion. One of the plants you do want to watch out for is the Black Nightshade, but daisies won't hurt anything!

[SIZE=14pt]I dont know about being harmfull but my haflinger fillys mother was TERRIFIED of them!
new_shocked.gif
!If she saw them she ran VERY fast in the other direction!
yes.gif
!(I should know)
[/SIZE]

Erin,

We are in the same general area, so am pretty sure we have the same kind of daisy.

Mine eat them, and have not had any problems. No way I could get rid of 14 +acres of them.

Latest posts

Back