daily wormers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly

Reaction score
All of my minis are due for worming this week--I want to start them on a daily wormer, which one do you all prefer and how much do I give? Also is it ok for foals at 3-4 months old? Should I give they regular paste wormer first and then start the daily wormer? I have never used the daily wormer before and haven't a clue
default_wacko.png

You'll get alot of opinions, some pro some con on daily wormer. I like it, but I still rotate paste wormer on a regular basis. Yes it is fine for foals that age.

You want to paste worm with an ivermectin based wormer the day before you start, then start the daily wormer the following day. All the daily wormers have the same active ingredient. The difference is the strongid 2x just means it is double the strength. This does not mean you give it because you think your horses are more prone to worms than in other areas. The 2x simply means you need to give less to achieve the same results as the regular stregth larger dose. I get strongid regular strength and buy it by the 5 gallon bucket. A semi-local store sells it for $47 a bucket. Dose for dose it comes out the cheapest for me. You feed it based on weight so if you don't have accurate weights on them you will need to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed all our horses daily wormer and have ever since my vet told me that once he started promoting it, he found he was ordeing far fewer colic supplies for his practice.... All of mine that are eligible are on the Preventicare program through Pfizer, so we use Strongid 2X that I get through my vet. Actually that is the easiest and cheapest way for me - I send an e-mail and it usually arrives the next day for about the same price as mail order.

My vet did check with Pfizer and he was told that the minimum dose to use for a mini was the 250 pound dose. That is what I use for most of the minis, except of course the ones that we figure weigh more than that.

Preventicare would have paid for most of Target's colic surgery in 1998 IF I HAD FILLED OUT AND SUBMITTED THE PAPERWORK THAT WAS SITTING ON MY DESK. Then he became ineligble and had another colic surgery in 2001..... Ergo, all the minis are in the program.

Latest posts

Back