Daily Ulcer Preventative?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleonard

Reaction score
I have never seen it mentioned on here, so am thinking there is nothing on the market, but wanted to see if anyone knew of a daily supplement to prevent ulcers?

I have one little girl who has chronic ulcers, we have been battling them for several years now and it seems like they will get cleared up for a short time then they are back again. I pulled her off sweet feed a year ago, she gets alfalfa orchard hay and is on pasture all day. She had a horrible rough hair coat last winter and is difficult to keep a nice topline on. She tends to get a slight pot belly and ribby. We usually add beet pulp in the winter to try to get a few more calories into her while keeping things light on her tummy. She is in great weight right now and hasn't had a problem in several months but has started laying down a lot lately and rolling up onto her back so I know the ulcers are starting again. She is not stressed, leads a pretty relaxed life. She has always had a very active stomach, you can hear it gurgling from across the barn, which I think contributes to the ulcers. It seems ridiculous to keep treating with Gastorguard (we do the full 2 week treatment) every few months, I wish there was something to do to prevent them from getting started in the first place. Any suggestions?

A horse in my barn... The owner fed the supplement "Succeed" along with beet pulp and aloe Vera juice.

Most horses with chronic ulcers I've known though have a vet prescription for either Ranitidine or Cimetidine. Or I guess you could just buy Zantac or Tagamet over the counter, basically the same thing but your vet would suggest a dose. They can be on this daily (preferrably twice daily) for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Jessica-

Sorry you are having to deal with ulcers....I know how hard it can be to get them cleared up....

Here is what I can recommend from our experience:

Gastro Gard--- a full dose treatment (one notch for each 50# weight of horse) for a full 30 days, then taper off. Two weeks just doesn't seem to get them cleared up.

I would add Neigh Lox (2 TBSP twice daily) for an indefinate period - maybe months. I think there is even a new Neigh Lox that you might want to check out)

I would add Probiotics (we use TLC and they are GREAT! IMO). We order on-line.

During a flairup- I would add Sucralfate, as ordered by your vet, in addition to the Neigh Lox and the GastroGard.

When she isn't in a flair up, I would feed Progressive or Buckeye balancer- if she is eating more than 50% alfalfa she will need the alfalfa blend. Otherwise, get her the grass blend.

With her 'active' stomach, I would sure get her on a Probiotic asap. Also, with her rough coat and poor topline, I would suspect she isn't getting enough nutrients/protein.

Has she had any blood work done to see if she has bleeding ulcers or to rule out infection?

Wishing you and your little mare all the best
default_smile.png

I have a couple horses that are ulcer prone, too, and I really like the Ugard pellets. They're alfalfa based and the horses eat them like candy. They didn't much like the Neighlox. I just add it to their Safe Choice and they think they're getting a treat!
default_yes.gif
If I notice one starting to eat slower I add the Ugard for a couple weeks, and so far it's prevented a full blown episode.

Yes at LEAST 30 days of treatment (my colt was 60 days of treatment) with ulcerguard or gastrogard whichever you can get cheaper. Actually recently i found http://www.abler.com/products/Abgard it is Omeprazole (active ingredient in gastrogard) and I got the stable pack. It is stronger and so takes less which makes it much more cost effective. After mine was done with his 60 days I tapered him off and only kept him on Probiotics, and NeighLox after that. He never had another bout. My vet has since told me that alot of her clients give their horses aloe in their feed as a preventative and she believes it works pretty good as a preventative but not a treatment. I also agree with Albahurst about the Sucralfate. Good Luck with your filly!

I have a couple horses that are ulcer prone, too, and I really like the Ugard pellets. They're alfalfa based and the horses eat them like candy. They didn't much like the Neighlox. I just add it to their Safe Choice and they think they're getting a treat!
default_yes.gif
If I notice one starting to eat slower I add the Ugard for a couple weeks, and so far it's prevented a full blown episode.
Me, too. I use U-Gard pellets. My cushings gelding is on htem always, prescribed by vet prior to Cushings diagnosis. I very well might be able to take him off them, now that his Cushings is managed, but the last time I tried to take him off his UGard (prior to Cushings diagnosis) his health went to heck in a handbasket. I have a mare that was on them regularly the first two years she was here, she seems to have finally outgrown her tummy issues, and hasn't needed anything for several years. I will probably add them to the babies' diet before weaning.

I ask what you are feeding too... alfalfa is a stomach soother- that might help on top of the great other advice you have gotten here.

I have not had good luck treating ulcers, so I know they are not to be fooled around with. I used the month or more Gastroguard plus Sucralfate, slow hay feeder, soaked alfalfa cubes, and Stomach Soother and still lost the battle. What I use now to help prevent ulcers is daily powered U-Gard and soaked alfalfa cubes. I also use U-Gard and Stomach Soother at any times of stress such as travel, weaning, or showing.

For your girl, I think I would try a slow hay feeder for over night and maybe soaked alfalfa cubes with, or in place of, her grain.

I have a stallion that had ulcers last year. So bad that I almost lost him. I have since had him on "Succeed" daily for quite a few months. And will continue. It's kind of expensive, but for one horse, it does last quite a while.

My horses diet is Purina Senior, soaked alfalfa cubes, a grass/alfalfa hay and the daily Succeed.

Back