Daily Dewormer Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
I understand how it works and the need for additional worming 2x per year. My questions are: Which is better: Stongid C2X by Pfizer or Continuex by Farnam?

They claim to be safe for pregnant mares and foals, but how about breeding stallions?? Also for those who use a daily dewormer, at what age do you start your young horses?

Do you notice any difference in your horses as far as appearance and in their ability to digest their feeds? Is the result enough to warrant feeding less because of better digestion?

I'm just trying to make the best long term decisions for my horses and any input would be appreciated.

Thankyou,

Hi, when we lived in Florida we used the daily dewormer and they are pretty much the same so we got whichever was less expensive. BUT we also dewormed with a Ivomec paste every 6 weeks. Florida is parasite heaven so I would not feel comfartable deworming twice a year.

We've used the daily Strongid for as long as I can remember and we've never had any problems with it. It's also very simple because you just add it to their grain and every horse we've had has eaten it with no hesitation, that makes me think it must have a certain flavor that horses either like or don't mind.

For your other questions...no I've never noticed a physical difference when they are on the Strongid compared to being on no daily wormer. And no, we've never changed feeding portions because of the daily wormer.

Hope this can help you out some!

I have used Strongid for ages, on all my horses. I have all my minis enrolled in the Preventicare Program through Pfizer with pays up to $5,000 (I think that is amount) for colic surgery if your horse colics for ANY reason while in the program. You just need to get the wormer through your vet (mine is delivered to my door the day after I order it, and at a competitive price) and have an annual vet exam. And your vet has to offer the program. I think you can enroll horse at 6 months and that I actually started them on it as weanlings. My vet also told me that the minimum dose to use is for 250 pounds, even if the mini weighs less than that. You mgiht want to ask your own vet about that.

My riding horse has had 2 colic surgeries BEFORE I enrolled in the program (he isn't eligible now of course, but he still gets the wormer). My vet commented that he noticed that after he started enrolling people in the program that he was ordering fewer colic supplies. I was convinced. And my big horse is still doing fine after removal of 6 feet of his small intestines in 1998 and another 24 feet in 2001.

I recommend the Strongid C 2x, I really like the stuff. I notice my babies (two and younger) have much less pot bellies than in the past even when I'm lazy about conditioning them. My foal eats it along with her dam, and haven't had problems with breeding stallions on it.

I also give them a paste dewormer (rotate between Ivermectin and Pyrantel Paomate) every eight weeks. My horses are stalled and parasites aren't a problem, but it keeps them healthy and better conditioned for show. And I don't WANT parasites to be a problem, anyway!

Although I have noticed less pot bellies, I haven't noticed a decreased need for feed or better digestability. I feed a product called Equi-Pride which is GREAT for their coats, it claims to improve digestion and require less feed but I haven't noticed that, either! My horses all eat like PIGS and stay thin!

Andrea

You wormed every 6 weeks with the daily dewormer?
No, I used the daily de wormer every day and used an Ivomec paste product every 6 weeks. I also de - wormed mine with the Ivomec and then started the daily de wormer. There are some parasites the daily stuff doesnt kill. We also fed the horses there grain the same as we always did and added the daily stuff to their feed.

And I agree it stops the parasites from being a problem.

Latest posts

Back