Cushings as well as stifle locking...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Before I start I should say I have a very close relationship with my vet and the following horse is under veterinary care but I am interested in any other possible situations people may have come across. Some background...one of our miniatures who is nearly 19 years old and has been healthy for all of those years recently developed horrendous allergy/heaves. It was to the point that despite steroids, other drugs, wetting hay and other things he still had troubles breathing but we were able to get that under control finally although he is still on steroids. Since the beginning of that (going back many months) he has been "low" i.e. no energy, not as happy and went from being the boss gelding in the herd down to the near bottom of the pecking order (something that has never happened). Then his muscle started disappearing, and his coat was classic description with regards to early stages of cushions. He was diagnosed with PPID and so we began giving him vitamin E as well as prascend for a 40 day trial to see if he improved, he has now been on prascend for a month. I have been trying to get him out exercising as much as possible but he has ZERO energy. Even when other horses are with us I still had to essentially "drag" him (not literally drag him as he walked of course but did not want to be walking) I decided to just let him be so that he could get his exercise in the paddock (about 1/4 acre in size).

Nine days ago, his stifle locked up for the first time ever. For the last nine days it has been a constant battle with this right hind stifle...I cold hose it, have tried backing for what seems like miles but nothing is helping. I feel that the muscle deterioration is causing this but I can't build his muscle back up because he has zero energy. The walking would help but he refuses to walk. I feel like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place and I am out of ideas. He is also now on prevacox because he is in a lot of pain from this stifle business...he actually ended up kicking me when I was manipulating the stifle back in place something which he again has never done before.

My vet is currently away until next week so in the mean time I am just brainstorming and doing what I can. About me...I personally do not like to prolong a horses life and am the belief that I would rather euthanize an animal too early than too late. I hate that he is currently on a few different drugs and I also disagree with keeping a horse drugged up not just financially but morally. He is still quite cuddly with me but other than that is not at all the horse he has been for his whole life. He can barely walk around and even if his stifle allowed him to he really just wouldn't. My vet is 100% supportive and we will explore other avenues next week but at this moment in time I just am starting to feel like euthanizing him is what would be kindest to him. I do not want him to suffer, but I also do not want to jump the gun on this. To make matters harder, he is my DH's favourite of all our horses and last year we had to euthanize one of our favourite geldings due to cancer. I will always do what is right for the horse, not what is right for me and my emotions no matter how heart breaking it is but I just am so morally torn on this one. It just seems way too soon for another horse to be prancing off to heaven.

I am interested if anybody has ever dealt with a horse (mini in particular) in this situation and also any advice you may have that perhaps I haven't thought of.

I wonder what is causing the muscle loss? Is he still eating? Getting enough protein?

I haven't had that scenario, but I've been involved in others with comparable difficulties.

Sounds like you have pretty well made up your mind what to do. Good luck with the hard choices.

What is his current diet? Specifics please, Cushings horses are helped by medication and diet. The Cushing's is contributing to the muscle loss, so getting it under control will help.

Your situation reminds me a bit of my mini, Goldie, who in the past two years has developed, as I label it, seasonal heaves. Something she has never had - at least in a noticeable form. Like us, our horses age and change in a variety of ways. It would certainly be easier if 'one size fit all' and we always knew what to do!

Just a thought, and I apologize if you have already done this, but maybe complete and total stall rest? Sometimes I think enforced rest can help a body 'reboot' and repair.

Best wishes, it is hard to have animals sometimes.

Could he be having some low grade laminitic problems going on from the Cushings and the steroids that is causing him to not want to move? Sending some positive vibes your way, hope you get him sorted out.

Latest posts

Back