Current pictures of my yearling stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
I took a few new pictures of Dakota today. He finally got to go out on some grass today.

Dakota-july15-eyeshaveit.jpg

Dakota-july15-pretty.jpg

dakota-july15-cute.jpg

pretty boy..by the way..what is that strange looking green stuff he is peeking thru?
rolleyes.gif

yellerroseintx said:
pretty boy..by the way..what is that strange looking green stuff he is peeking thru?
rolleyes.gif

425676[/snapback]

Thank you. I think it's grass, but it's the first time he's seen any this year, so he might not know either.
wink.gif
My husband and I raise cattle so the "yard" is planted to a alfalfa/grass hay mix and is a bit rich for these little guys to graze, so I put a couple of the big horses in the pen first to graze it down some. He was so excited to be out that he slipped on a pile of big horse poo and went down, he jumped up immediately and looked around as if to say "I meant to do that". He's such a character. (Wasn't ready with the camera for that one).

miniaddiction said:
Very Pretty boy
wub.gif
What is his colour I love it!
425701[/snapback]

Thank you. He's sunbleached bay.

His coloring is definitely unusual; his tail is black with sunbleached spots, his mane is chocolately brown with sunbleach spots and his lower legs are chocolately brown (the marks only go to about his fetlocks).

When I got him, we couldn't decide if he was buckskin or bay (both parents are buckskin), so I had him DNA color tested at UC Davis. He genetically tests as bay; he is Heterzygous for black (Ee) and Homozygous for Agouti (AA - he'll pass an agouti gene to all his offspring). And, since he is bay, he tested negative for creme gene.

Very cute little guy.
smile.gif

Added:

Any chance either parent carries the silver gene? His color is exactly like my friend's QH X and I consider her a silver bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought he looked silver bay as well - whatever the case he is a very pretty boy.

Boss Mare said:
Very cute little guy.
smile.gif

Added:

Any chance either parent carries the silver gene? His color is exactly like my friend's QH X and I consider her a silver bay.

425835[/snapback]

I doubt it...

I was told neither parent has silver, but I'm not positive. I haven't seen either in person, just pictures, so can't be certain.

Pretty boy! But he looks more like a "Wild Bay" to me. Wild Bays do not have the dark black lower legs to the extent regular bays do. It's also common for them to have some "frosting" in their manes & tails.

Dona said:
Pretty boy!  But he looks more like a "Wild Bay" to me.  Wild Bays do not have the dark black lower legs to the extent regular bays do.  It's also common for them to have some "frosting" in their manes & tails.
425953[/snapback]

That's kind of what I thought, but I haven't seen too many pictures of "Wild Bay" to know what they look like.

I kind of wondered if the double dose of the agouti gene (he's homozygous for agouti) didn't account for the odd coloring.

Latest posts

Back