Curious what everyone feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens

Reaction score
Hello, We have had our 2 adopted rescue mini's for about a month now and they are doing so great! They already look so much better and have gained some weight! They are both eating (each), a flake of hay and 4 1/2 cups dried alfalpha cubes then soaked twice a day. That's the refeeding program they came to me on. But I was curious what evryone else feeds there mini's.

Ask 100 horsemen, and you'll likely get 100 different answers to that question.

Last fall, I had to make a change to my feed program, as my previous feed took a significant jump in price. So currently, they all get hay (and minimal pasture when available) plus: the mares are on an extruded feed, senior stallion is on senior feed, and the rest of the boys are on a low sugar/starch pellet (one has Cushings, so all the boys are on the same feed to help keep it fresh). They all get amounts based on their needs. The little senior stallion actually gets the most hard feed at 1.25# senior daily plus chopped hay (and now pasture). The rest are mostly 35-38" tall (325-375#) and get about 3/4# daily of their feed plus hay (and starting on pasture).

As they say "If its not broke, don't go trying to fix it", so if your two little guys are doing well on their current feed program, I'd keep it as is and perhaps consult the rescue organization or vet which ever formulated their diet and ask if and what they should have if changes need to be made.

I also switched to Purina Mini and Pony in February and I love it! So simple and my boys look fantastic. My daughter took her gelding to a show two weeks ago, his first of the season. He was in fantastic shape and we have been so busy he has had NO conditioning beyond daily turnout. It's the best he has looked since we have owned him, so I am very pleased with it.

I have attached a picture of him - he may be a little plump by some people's standards, but he's just the way I like him! Pretty happy with absolutely no conditioning!

306281_4079319944787_1336187099_3663652_2091958836_n.jpg

I swear by the Glo feeds by ADM. My horses are looking really good on it, their coats are so shiny. SeniorGLO would be a wonderful option for your rescued minis. I agree if yours are doing well currently I wouldn't change it, but I would make sure they are on some type of minerals to replace their grain.

Mine completely stopped eating the mini feed by Purina so thumbs down on that. He also had to eat a whole lot of it and was lethargic and dull coat.

I feed ADM Ultra Fiber (low starch) feed, my ponies all look GREAT. Its 13% protein. I feed roasted soy beans with it as well (ups protien and fat) to the growin' and showin' horses.

I am one that also swear's by the ADM product's... it has worked great for all of my horse's. Wether it be my mare's, mare's in foal, stallion's or foal's I really LOVE it!!! Along with the ADM they are also on pasture (which has dried up again do to no rain) and prairie hay with a little alfalfa mixed in with it. They are all very healthy with shinny coat's. Like what has been said though,. Everyone is different as to what work's for them and their horse's and we do the best to find out what work's in every way for our horse's to be healthy.

There are lots of right ways to feed a horse
default_yes.gif

Most of our horses eat a high quality, low starch pellet feed and about 1/2 a flake of soft orchard grass hay, 2x a day
default_smile.png

As you probably already know, everyone feeds in a way that suits their horses and their own beliefs as to what is best. I'll tell you what we're doing currently:

14 yr old "hard keeper" - we've been concerned off and on since we got her in 2009 that she might have ulcers. She recently "took a turn for the worse" behavior wise. Upon consultation with my vet, we started her on a 28 day of Gastro Guard to treat for ulcers. Further research showed me that feeding her the sweet feed (Omolene 300) we've been feeding her is the worst thing for her if she does have ulcers. I've read from several sources that any grain should be avoided and just forage, forage and more forage, including alfalfa hay or pellets. That's what we've done in recent weeks. She wasn't eating much feed anyway, so taking it away wasn't a big shock to her system. She's getting a pelleted supplment (ration balancer) alone along with ever increasing pasture time and alfalfa mixed hay (which we've been using for 2 years now, I think).

The 5 younger mares (1-four year old, 4-three year olds) are being switched from Purina's Minature/Pony feed to the same ration balancer as the hard keeper. They get much more limited pasture time and wear muzzles when they are on the pasture. And I give them hay when they aren't on the pasture. I try to give them about 1% of their body weight at this time of year. 2% or more in the winter depending on how cold of a winter we're having (it can vary a lot in Maryland). A 5 of these mares are in great condition as far as having healthy coats, eyes, hooves, but all are at varying degrees of overweight. I'd say between 6-8's on the body scale.

In the three years I've had these horses, I've come to the conclusion that for me, simple is best. I've been lucky in that only 1 horse out of six needs "something different". Others on this board have more horses and/or horses with varying needs requiring different approaches even on the same farm.

I feed a dovey fescue grass; and once daily, a modest amount of good alfalfa hay in addition to a generous amount of the grass hay. Twice daily, I feed a forage-based(alfalfa is the 'first listed' ingredient), STEAM-extruded, so light and crunchy 'kernals' as opposed to hard pellets, fortified concentrate called 'Total Equine'. along with(in the AM only) a portion of stabilized ground flax, and, I am VERY pleased w/ how the horses look and act on it..and in the PM, I give a modest amount of soaked beet pulp. Free choice white salt and fresh water at all times. of course!

The 'Total Equine' is made in three formulations, to suit horses with certain issues. I am REALLY 'sold on' this feed.

Margo

I am with Chandab - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have found that it is much harder to find a good feed/feeding program for a mini than it is for big horses. I have been in boarding barns where a whole barn full of big horses got by just fine on the same hay and grain, just different amounts. I have three different grains, plus beet pulp and alfalfa cubes for 12 minis. I JUST switched grains (again) on our show mare that is insulin resistant - she is the most challenging.

If they don't need "grain" I think you are best to stay away from it. I would also suggest that you only make changes for a reason (like I just did - to increase her energy) and not just because someone else feeds that. Also, I know lots of people who feed sweet feed (with molasses) with no issues, but it really isn't very healthy. Too high in carbohydrates and all that sugar is not good for ulcers.

Personally, I feed Purina's Mini/Pony feed to my herd of mares, growing youngsters, and gelding.

I do however feed Omelene 300 to my youngest ones during the winter because of its added protein percentage (16% as compared to 12%)

I have not had any issues with the mini feed and it has actually brightened my herd up (mentally).

I have three different grains, plus beet pulp and alfalfa cubes for 12 minis.
Have you been in my feed room? I've been trying to simplify my feed room, and just can't seem to do it; currently at 4 bagged feeds, beet pulp, hay pellets (probably won't buy again, as I have to drive 300 miles roundtrip to get htem) and supplements (plus hay and minimal pasture). And, I too have 12 minis. I was doing good with just three different bagged feeds til my pregnant mare decided she no longer liked the extruded feed, so I special ordered two bags of TC growth to get her through the rest of her pregnancy and into foaling/lactation. I have a Cushings gelding, so he's on a low sugar/starch pellet; to keep it fresh I put the tubby gelding on it too; two going through it will keep it fresher. And, the litle stallion is on senior.

When I had the saddle horses only, I certainly didn't put this much thought into their diet; and they did just fine.

Thank you for all the great advise! I appreciate every single comment and now have a lot to think about! My rescue mini's are looking much better weight wise but I wish there coats were more shiny. They are about 4 years old and I don't think they have ever been fed regularly before they were rescued. Many of the others in the herd they were rescued with were eating there own poop : ( I have them on a mineral block also.

Thank you for all the great advise! I appreciate every single comment and now have a lot to think about! My rescue mini's are looking much better weight wise but I wish there coats were more shiny. They are about 4 years old and I don't think they have ever been fed regularly before they were rescued. Many of the others in the herd they were rescued with were eating there own poop : ( I have them on a mineral block also.
It'll take awhile to take effect, but flax is good for their coat. For simplicity, something like Omega Horseshine is a good choice (you can get it at SmartPak and other on-line catalogs) or Simply Flax from Manna Pro (I get it from Horse.com). [it might be cheaper to buy whole flax and grind your own, but the two products I mentioned are stabilized so have a longer shelf life; fresh ground flax only stays fresh for a couple days.] This is the first winter I've fed flax, and I'm quite happy with the results; I could probably feed a couple a little more, but they are doing ok at the current amount.

I also switched to Purina Mini and Pony in February and I love it! So simple and my boys look fantastic. My daughter took her gelding to a show two weeks ago, his first of the season. He was in fantastic shape and we have been so busy he has had NO conditioning beyond daily turnout. It's the best he has looked since we have owned him, so I am very pleased with it.

I have attached a picture of him - he may be a little plump by some people's standards, but he's just the way I like him! Pretty happy with absolutely no conditioning!

306281_4079319944787_1336187099_3663652_2091958836_n.jpg
Beutiful!!!!

I have a stallion that will be a year old this week. We feed him 2 cups of Purina Miniature Horse Feed and 1 cup of Equilite per day. So far, that is a winning combination for us! We have a shiny coat, great little hard, healty feet, bright eyes, superior brains and the perfect amount of get up and go!

Here's a picture from our show today :)

IMG_1198.jpg

I have a stallion that will be a year old this week. We feed him 2 cups of Purina Miniature Horse Feed and 1 cup of Equilite per day. So far, that is a winning combination for us! We have a shiny coat, great little hard, healty feet, bright eyes, superior brains and the perfect amount of get up and go!

Here's a picture from our show today :)

IMG_1198.jpg
Awwww, he is very cute!

Where do you purchase Purina Mini Feed from? I cant seem to find any australian horse supply shops that have it. ta
The Purina mini and pony is probably only available in the States, at least under that name and manufacturer; you might be able to find something similar in Australia. Here's a link to the Purina website, so you can check on the nutritonal analysis for the mini and pony feed; perhaps with that information, you can find something similar in Australia. http://www.horse.purinamills.com/products/miniaturehorsepony/ECMD2-0051041.aspx Or, one of the other Australian members can chime in with feeds available there, that they've had success with.

Latest posts

Back