Curious about the differences

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runamuk

Reaction score
I know enough to know I don't know much
wink.gif
I was talking with someone today who is possibly expecting a Hinny and was really curious to hear from those with experience what the differences are........I know donkeys carry longer and thats about all I know
wacko.gif

Do donks tend to have the same pre foaling patterns as mares?

Do donk's tend to be overprotective or are they like mares where it is only occasional?

Do donks typically have easier foaling's or are they also prone to dystocias (mini donk bred to mini stallion)?

I would be very interested in hearing about some normal donkey foalings........also are their foals typical of horse foals or are there major differences?

While I am at it who here is on donkey watch?
biggrin.gif

I'm on donkey and mare watch..gosh..I need some GOOD sleep!
yes.gif
I have moniters on both right now, but I still seem to be up half the night just waiting for the beeper to go off!
sad.gif
Hinnys have more of a tendency to look like a horse, but yet there are MAJOR differances. If you look thru the post you will see some picture of my hinny "SNICKERS". My jenny that had him, gave 1 push and thought .."this is work and I'm not going to do it!"
no.gif
so, I ended up delivering the foal by myself with a little bit of help from my son who held her. Everything went well after I had Snickers delivered. The other jennys who have been bred for a hinny had no problems and there foaling went great.. They do seem to have all the same foaling patterns as a horse would. I dont think they have anywhere near the foaling problems as some minis do. I know quit a few with mini donkeys and standard size and I have never heard of any having problems with deliveries or dwarfism. My jennys are normally really good about allowing me to go in by there foals immediately,
aktion033.gif
but dont really care to have strangers in by them. I just had a pink sorrel born 3 weeks ago, he is turning into a character and a half already..got to love these little ones!
wub.gif
wub.gif
Corinne

Oh my, I think Cinnamon is expecting a hinney...Runamuk and I were discussing it yesterday. I'm still trying to find out about when she is due, but I SWEAR I saw the baby move two days ago. Her belly is big, and when the baby moved she got a little grumpy, and wrung her tail. I have no idea what to expect, I haven't foaled out a mini anything before!!!

Is the gestation period shorter with a hinny??

Tell me what I can expect...Please!!!
wacko.gif

Kim R

The Gestation period of a donkey is 12 months (give or take some, there have been ones that have gone 13 1/2 months).

The Gestation period of a donkey is 12 months (give or take some, there have been ones that have gone 13 1/2 months).

Latest posts

Back