Curious about getting into CDE...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse-A-Holic

Reaction score
Just curious if there are many people out there who do the Combined Driving Events?

It looks like really great fun!

We live in the very NW corner of Montana, and I don't know that we have any thing like that set up around here....

Any advice or information for some one who is just looking at getting involved?

I would be doing this with my miniatures, not my full size horses, if that makes a difference?

You live in the "right area of the country"! There are lots of VSE CDE people in the NW of the US. You might have to go over a state or two, though. Check out the American Driving Society website for a list of events. www.americandrivingsociety.org

Myrna

We do Combined Driving Events in the Pacific NW. We are on the coast of Washington State, an hour from Happ's which is a very active venue. In fact, we are getting ready for the big June event in two weeks. On the 4th of July, we will be going to Oregon for the CDE at Inavale. Closer to you, there is a very active carriage driving group in Idaho and there is a CDE in the Spokane area. Happ's has a website, as does Inavale and the one in Spokane is the Teddy Bear, named for the Teddy Bear Fjords. All are open to VSE (very small equines), as is the Beavercreek CDE in Beavercreek Oregon. Myrna is right; your best contact would be American Driving Society first which might put you onto some of the local clubs. We think that CDE is one of the funnest things you can do with your little horse. We show our horses in the breed ring also and find that the CDEs keep them fresh, forward and happy; us to! Our horses are very well received by our full-size horse friends and there are several that come over from your part of the world.

Ron and Dorothy

PS: In the avatar, that is our horse, Buddy through the creek at Beavercreek CDE, with Ron driving

Last edited by a moderator:
I do! I'm out of the game right now as my competition horse injured his back in March 2009 and my new guy isn't old enough yet but I still keep up on all the competitions and how my friends are doing. I can't wait to get the new guy driving next spring and eventually make a tandem and hopefully a pair out of the two of them if Kody (my older gelding) heals up well enough.

There are lots of people from Montana and Idaho who come over here for the Happ's CDE each June in Ethel, WA. I'm sure you could caravan with some of them! Happ's welcomes the VSE's (very small equines) like no other venue in the country so this is a WONDERFUL place to get your start. We're usually a third or more of the entries at any given NW event of 90+ horses which is unheard of in other parts of the country.

As far as more information, google "CDE for VSE" and you should get several good resources. Let us know if you have any specific questions!

Leia

The High Country Carriage Driving Club operates out of Calgary - much closer than Washington, and though they don't have a ton of VSE competitors, they're very VSE friendly! Also, the Alberta Carriage Driving Association has a whole bunch of chapters (I'm a member of Chinook), with a variety of events and shows and clinics going on.

Latest posts

Back