Crystal - second night of mare stare and no sleep

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
Managed to get a couple of hours sleep this morning or yesterday morning I should say, slept from 7 am. to 9 am.
default_wacko.png
and had a nap this afternoon. The mare stare marathon continues.... Tonight though she is not stalled, she is lose in half of the barn with Storm, my gelding. I have bedding EVERYWHERE in that area. I was thinking that the one succesful delivery for Crystal was when she first came to me and I didn't have fixed dates for her delivery as she had been pasture bred and I later found out she had run with 3 different stallions!!!!! :arg! Anyways she was running lose in the half part of the barn with Abby and Storm. She must have delivered just before I got to the barn at 5:30 a.m. because the foal was still very wet and had not got up yet. Crystal was up and was between her baby and the others, standing guard. She was stalled last year for her delivery and she had approximately the same time or so. I had checked on her at 2:30 A.M. and nothing was happening so I came into the house and fell asleep. I had set my alarm for 3:30 but I was so exhausted after a full month of 2 hours of sleep per night (Crystal a month past the date she was handbred) and I woke up at 6:30 a.m. and ran to the barn... she had lost the foal. Not sure what happened, the foal looked to be term but perhaps it didn't get out of the sac.... Anyway I think it might help if I keep her with Storm and let her foal not cooped up in a stall and the fact that she is with another may make her get up sooner which will help the sac to rip off the foal IF I should not be there.

I won't be posting about Crystal until we have a foal one way or the other because it seems this is going to be another long mare stare.

Ah the joys of mare stare.
default_biggrin.png

Hang in there, I've got my fingers crossed that she goes soon for you.

Best of luck. We will be anxious to hear that she foaled and all is well.

Good Luck Danielle...hope all goes well this year! I wanted to add that I don;t think it would be a good idea to keep her in with Storm to foal though. It could actually be worse, and she may jump up too soon and not give the blood time to transfer before she breaks the cord. She may also be so protective that she would kick at Storm, maybe cornering him and harming him or the newborn foal in the meantime. Maybe separating them with a panel would be best, where he may appear more of a threat to her but where they will not actually be in the same compartment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mona! You're right, never thought of that. Was just remembering the circumstances of Crystal's live foal with me, Allie. Not that the delivery of Allie was planned like that, it just happened! The area I have them in is basically 30 feet by 32 feet so not sure if it would cause a problem but I won't take the chance. Guess I am sleeping in the barn tonight
default_unsure.png
. Get the sleeping bag out... bring the portable computer, bring the t.v. (JUST KIDDING).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back