Cryptorchid Jack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Looking at a Driving Jack that happens to be Cryptorchid. Can they still breed? She says he doesn't act studdy and is an awesome guy he has been with a mini mare for awhile and does great. I was wondering what (if any) problems this causes.

Thanks

Cryptorchid is both retained- YES they can do and will breed but are not fertile. I have only ever known one true Cryptorchid are you positive he's not gelded??? Even if he were not interested in the mares seasons- which some Donks are not, he would be unlikely to just ignore her!!

He should be gelded. Even if he has just one just slightly down he can settle them and that is something that should not be passed on.

I would definitely take him in and have them surgically removed. They can breed and go thru all the motions, but will never be able to reproduce bacause they are infertile. They can also be just as dangerous as any breeding jack when the jennys are in season, and some jacks get very aggressive towards humans at breeding season. How old is this jack? Can you feel them
biggrin.gif
if they are way up in his thighs..if you can he might still drop if hes a fairly young jack. Would you be able to have your vet check him for you, if he is a true crypto it can be costly for the surgery. Corinne

I think somebody else also said they have a higher risk of cancer if not removed as well.

That's what I was afraid of...it may be best if I pass on him he is also out of state so the situation may be worth passing on and according to my vet the surgery could cost as much as $2000
new_shocked.gif

Thank you for the info.

J

MeadowRidge Farm said:
I would definitely take him in and have them surgically removed. They can breed and go thru all the motions, but will never be able to reproduce bacause they  are infertile. They can also be just as dangerous as any breeding jack when the jennys are in season, and some jacks get very aggressive towards humans at breeding season. How old is this jack? Can you feel them
biggrin.gif
  if they are way up in his thighs..if you can he might still drop if hes a fairly young jack. Would you be able to have your vet check him for you, if he is a true crypto it can be costly for the surgery. Corinne
442968[/snapback]

I had my gelding fixed that way 6 years ago. He had one that could be felt but the other was no where in sight. Back then it was $400 to fix him. And they through in the fact that he hasnt peed right since.

A true Cryptorchid has both testicles retained up above the linguinal ring and would require deep body surgery to remove them. Yes there is a much higher risk of cancer in both the retained testicles. Usually these animals (Rigs) are very, VERY unreliable. Given that a lot of Jacks are unreliable in the first place, i would pass!!

Well I didn't even have to decline - some else took him... Thanks for the info though.

Latest posts

Back