Cryptochid (sp)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I was just curious
default_smile.png
a friend of mine asked me this and I told her I really wasn't sure.[/SIZE]

Is a cryptochid a cryptochid from birth? Or can it develop?

Like, you can feel the testes when it's born but they disappear? Or do they never have testes from the beginning? I've heard about the inguial (sp) ring closing, but when does that happen. I know what I'm trying to ask but just can't seem to spit it out :DOH! I guess what I'm trying to say is... if you could definetly feel them shortly after they where born but couldn't feel them as a yearling, would you concider that horse a possible cryptochid?

Thanks
default_wink.png

It has been noted on here and I have witnessed boys pulling their berries up, so to speak. They are there, then the minute you go to bathe them or clip them, they get antsy and tuck them up. I have noticed this only on young males (under about 18 months old). The colt born here this summer was down since day one, and has remained down.

Another instance I have heard of, when it comes to a mature stallions, is a poor diet. Some stallions that have malnutrition issues will have their berries shrink down to almost nothing. I am sure you will get other responses on this topic, and I am sure others have witnessed other causes for an intact boy to appear to be a crypt. In these instances everything is there, but may be difficult to see.

Carolyn

I've heard people say that can happen, but I have not had it happen on colts born here or ones I bought young.

In case this helps anyone, the horses can hold "them" (one or both) very tight / close to the body. To the point I just barely feel them and years ago questioned myself IF I was really feeling them. In my experience, if I even think I felt them, they are down and the horse can be gelded.

All male horses, whatever age, can "suck them up"!!!

They normally do this when teasing a mare...it is a safety issue!!

BUT if a testicle goes up in a foal, or more likely, does not descend through the Inguinal Canal, then it cannot do so at a later date.

The Inguinal Canal closes at around two - three days, so if they are not there by then, they will not arrive!!

You do have to go in and search, though, some colts have obvious testicles, some have small ones that cannot be discerned by merely looking!!

It is something I check at birth...if one is there on it's own, there would be cause for real alarm!

Luckily this has never happened to me................................................yet
default_wink.png

Scott Creek has an interesting article on cryptorchidism here. Cryptorchidism in Miniature Stallions

It has been noted that young stallions can have a testicle that doesn't 'appear' to be descended when in actuality it is. It's through the inquinal ring but located higher up than what is normally seen. It will come down with maturity. Many vets are mistaken by calling those horses cryptorchid when they are not.

Becky --

I so much agree and you're describing what I was trying to say. However, the last part of what you said is significant. My vet has the reputation for doing a "regular" gelding proceedure on horses other vets have said would need the more invasive and expensive surgery to geld. What I think is those vets have evaluated a horse who had them up close, but none the less through the ring... I've always felt them on the ones I've had him geld but knowing how I almost argue with myself if I'm REALLY feeling something, makes me wonder if there's not some mis-evaluating going on by other vets in some cases... Especially if it's vets used to palpating full size horses. I mean it -- sometimes it's only like a "ghost" of a feeling to it...

Jill

It's happened to me and other local breeders that I know. Sell a weanling colt. Two or three years later, the buyer comes back and says the colt only has one testicle. Checks by their vet confirms it. In the case of one here, 3 vets confirm it. Horses come back and low and behold, they have two testicles when they get off the trailer! All of the vets checking the horse prior to return, call the horse crypt and want to do surgery immediately. I think for big $$$$.

Not all vets are well versed in finding miniature horse testicles, that's for sure!

I have a 2 yr old that only has one visible testicle down but I had my vet check him and he did find it high up.
default_biggrin.png
Thank goodness He said it would drop so that was a big load off of my mind... So with a vet who knows his stuff the berries can be found....

Latest posts

Back