Crtitique this stallion please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
Hi,

I am just curious what his weakness or strengths are according to others.

Interested in your opinions!

I am not thinking of showing him but would like to get him in good shape and looking his best.

He is THE SWEETEST HORSE I have ever owned, yet alone stallion.

Lovely boy and so willing to please!

He is 30" tall and a Buckeroo grandson.

Thanks I appreciate your input.

In the first pic he looks pretty high on his rump but he is on a slight incline. I have never noticed him looking high in the bottom!!

Not the best pics but hubby was getting impatient, he does not share my interests!!

red.jpg

redd.jpg

I don't have a critique, but he is GORGEOUS! I love his coloring and he has the kindest face ever.
smile.gif

-Kristie

What a beautiful little boy! And from what you've said about his personality, I'd say he's perfect.
biggrin.gif
His croup is very sloped and his tail is set on a bit low, but he's got a lovely 90 degree angle between scapula and humerus so I love his shoulder. I don't know that much about conformation particulars so I will just stop there but I admire his color and his overall look. He's great!

Leia

wub.gif
He is very cute! I am not going to say anything confo wise, because it isn't my "expertise" lol
wub.gif

[SIZE=8pt]Leia is right he has a nice shoulder but what I look for in a shoulder is a 45 degree straight line from the point of his shoulder to his withers. He has that. Love his color! That red roan is one of my favorites. Starting from his head back, he has a pretty face even though eye to muzzle length is a bit longish. He head looks just a little big for the rest of him but he is stocky enough to carry it.He is the med to heavier boned style. his neck is thick but set on well, could use a cleaner throatlatch. He looks to have nice straight legs and is short coupled. He is higher in the rear even in the second pic. IT could be the pics but I like a more level topline. Pics can lie though... I have a pic of Sweet Tart from Columbus that his hip looks very high and every other pic of him it isnt.... depends on the photographer sometimes. his hip appears a bit steep to me but again the pics..... Overall impression is pleasant. I think he is a bit heavier boned than stallions being shown today but still a nice boy.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Thanks for the replies!

Yes, he is a bit thicker boned, he looked less thick when I bought him! He needs a bit of a workout he is getting a little fat!!

Now, about what you mentioned about his faults can these be improved upon or are they just how he is made. I realsie you can't change his tailset but his throatlatch could that be improved with a necksweat?

He has not been conditioned at all and I think he could do with some just don't know where to start.

I am thinking of selling this stallion with a VERY heavy heart, I just can't keep 2 stallions. I love him, he is the gentlest soul and just happy to please. If I had more land, time and money I would keep him forever!!!!!! I thought about gelding him but my vet said to expect to pay $450, that is a lot and as a stay at home Mom not in my budget right now.

I will definately be very sad if I sell him
sad.gif

[SIZE=14pt]The throatlatch can be tightened a bit but I dont think it will change what is there. You cant change the things I posted about. Bone is bone it doesnt shrink. You can sweat his neck and it may get a bit thinner but not much. The high hind end is the way he is made as is the size and length of his head. That is a HUGEly inflated amount for a gelding !!!! Even my very expensive vet charges 225. that is including the 48 dollar charge just to come into my driveway![/SIZE]

Lyn

Fiona, why would you sell this one?? His colour is pretty unique- I lost a Silver Bay Roan colt foal this year, in theory they should not be hard to breed but I have not seen many!! I also think you need to ask a few more Vets- even I don't pay that much! The only glaring fault I see is his high croup- I'm not worried about the tail set in this case, or the head size, the head is sweet and both faults- well, let's just say I've not seen many Minis (try saying that after a pint of Poteen) without them. If you start dieting him or conditioning him you will make the croup and the head look far worse than they are, so be careful. If you sweat his neck you will make it look funny- weak. He is afar heavier than a stallion I would use, so I am used to much finer, but I can still see he is a pretty boy, and we all know how photos add on the pounds
yes.gif

wub.gif
He is very nice! I say that becuase I have little mare who could be his tiwn.

I called my dauther in and she asked me why I posted Zoe photo!

I see him as over all nice. But then like I said I've got one just like him.

Everyone alway OHHs and AHHS over her and say how sweet her face is.

Honestly, this is not being barn blind! He has the sweetest gentlest eye and he is just LOVELY, no other word for it! I have the otehr stallion nearby and all he can muster up is pinning his ears back and staring at him.

I bought 3 mares and found out after the fact that 2 of them are bred for this year, they are both 2. My other mare is pretty refined and not really a suitable match for him. My other stallion is also very sweet and more arab like.

If I could geld him for $200 I would make the appointment in the morning because he is truly such a wonderful example of what a mini's temperament should be. He is willing, kind, gentle and just an old fashioned gent!

Everyone who meets him warms to him!

Perhaps I will look around into cheaper vets, never thought of travelling any distance to get a cheaper price for vet care BUT it is a thought!

Rabbitfizz, I agree his colour is amazing, it really is prettier in person and he does look a bit hefty in the pic BUT he certainly is not arab like! I saw a Morgan horse for the first time in the flesh a couple of weks ago and I think Miracle ahs that same handsome look and gentle, kind face!

Barnbum, I am packing Miracle up and coming to pay your vet a visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, if anyone is reading this and lives close to Southern Maine, have you heard of reasonable quotes for gelding??

I am concerned for safety having 2 stallions in close proximity because I have small kids. They are safely seperated BUT all it takes is a gate left open and I could have a dangerous situation and I am not comfortable with taking that risk. Also, if I am not going to use Miracle as a stallion I would like to geld him asap!

Your replies have been VERY helpful!

Not sure where in Southern,ME you are but there are a couple vets that might be more reasonable. I think the vet we use is $300. Not that that is reasonable.

Can't remember the name of one independant vet but if you email me I will get the info.

Mark

Latest posts

Back