Crossing Heavy Boones Bred horses with Foundation?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I would like to breed for a foal in then next couple years and I think I have a pretty decent goal in mind. I would like to use my own bloodlines and breed towards more show quality miniatures. I do realize that I could buy what I want, but I really don't like buying. But like I said, this won't be for a couple years. I would like to train my filly to drive and show her. She turns 3 this April. (Hard to believe!) She is in complete pasture condition and hasn't done a thing in her life. I think she would look 10x better conformationally fitted for show, than she does now.

If I don't breed, then I will have spent quite a bit of time researching lines and you can never do too much research!

I have found some stallions that I feel would do a lot of good and feel could help produce a nice, nice foal. If not this generation, but the next after that and etc.

I don't know how well to describe the pedigree that my filly has. She has GMB ontop by NCF Sugar Boy, who is great grand-sire. Then there's Lil Ponderosa, Sligo, Dell Teras, Winks, and Iowa's Little Kernel. The dam side, along with the grand-dam side isn't something that I find great. What I think is the problem with the pedigree is that a lot of the pedigree was bred willy nilly and were lucky that they came out looking like horses and not donkeys or something. A lot of the issue was that the same faults were bred on both side and nobody wanted to fix anything, and bred so that it wasn't.

I would like to fix those faults and create an all-around better horse. Its actually really hard. I'm trying to find stallions in Iowa that both have the pedigree, conformation, show experience, and offspring to back them up. Usually I can only find one, but I've found a couple stallions who fit the entire bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, as a friend of mine called it, the thirty year plan.

Ah, as a friend of mine called it, the thirty year plan.
OMG. Do we have the same friend? I was telling a friend that I got a new colt, and she was just shocked at how old miniatures live to be, She called them "30 year plans" as well and compared them to children. She about died when I told her I have SEVEN 30 year plans.

But seriously. This will be a 30 year plan. I won't breed. LMAO. I could see it now. Find the PERFECT mare and search high and low for the PERFECT stallion, and 30 years later I do and then we find out my mare is infertile.

That. would be my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back