Cross ties

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I have heard big horse people say that cross ties don't work for minis. I'm curious for your guys imput as I bought some for my minis.

They work the same. Minis cross tie fine. You just have to mount the mini cross ties on the barn wall lower to the ground so they reach your minis head. All horses, big and small can try to turn themselves around in the ties. Ppl think they dont work for minis because when set at horse height they dont reach. Mount them lower and youll be fine.

I bought two tie rings and a pair of cross ties, but the height differences in my herd make me think I need two more tie rings; one low and the other higher.

I have some small minis (26-28") and some taller (32-36"). My smaller minis have been able to go under my cross ties that I made with lead ropes tied around two poles.

I have the perfect spot in my barn. We have two poles about 6-8 ft apart where I can have a cross tie area with a rubber mat for clipping and trimming hooves. PERFECT.

I use cross ties for my minis. I have them attached to the side of the walls rather than over head. When they were over head I found that they could turn around. Once I moved them to the sides they couldn't turn.

I always cross tie mine and they never get into trouble. Just make sure they are at the right hight. As you said you might need 2 sets. I had hubby put a bar accross so they can't swing around too much.

.IMG_0236.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used cross ties for years for bathing and grooming, and don't need two sets, my minis range in size from 30's to 36"s. In fact I have three cross tie areas, one on a concrete slab for bathing outside, one inside the big barn, and a set in the indoor. We use telephone poles put into the ground with rings attached, I also have rubber matting put down in the indoor to keep them from pawing up dirt, while I clip. I train all my horses to stand in the cross ties, even the young ones, but I never leave them there without me present. It is so much safer for the handler to bath, clip, etc. in the cross ties. My farrier and vet like my set up. So who ever said minis shouldn't be in crossties, well, IMO they don't need to work with these little guys on a daily basis, as this should be taught to all horses as you never know.

Thanks for the photos and info. I also want to put in cross ties, but didn't know how low to put them.

We have used cross ties for our minis, never had a problem. We have ours that are adjustable in one place then in the barn we just have 2 long lead ropes and have them tied with safety knots.

I've always used cross ties for washing and clipping and grooming. I have to do all this by myself so cross ties are a blessing. Never had any problem once the horse gets used to it. Put them in for short periods and give them treats and they adapt VERY fast!

Latest posts

Back