Critques Please! On my handsome silver buckskin COLT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the showing, but have always wanted to retain a colt with our farm name (Horseshue Stables) and send him out to a trainer to show him at AMHR nationals and AMHA worlds. So this year my BEAUTIFUL Silver Buckskin mare threw me the most pretty little well put together silver buckskin colt, and I just cant seem to even have the heart to sell him, hes a doll loves people, is spunky and has a I AM A BOY attitude, and is ARABIAN in miniature just like his dam. Wil great lines to Komokos and Silgo along with dell tera, I figured this might just be my guy, so I was out taking some pictures today, and want some peoples opinions on does this boy have what it takes to show in halter? I want to send him out to a trainer since it is cheaper to take him to nationals and worlds that way rather than me having to buy a trailer then spending the gas money to get him out there. So here is my handsome guy, critque him all you want please I want HONEST opinions. AND I LOVE HEADSHOTS SO I JUST ADDED THEM TO SHOW I LOVE HIS HEAD
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01283.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

I know I know his eyes are a little closed but the sun was bright on his baby blues!

DSC01289.jpg

Thanks he was just clipped for the first time, so his golden color isnt in yet, so he looks like an odd color but hes going to be a very pretty golden color like on his head
default_wub.png
I am so in love with this boy!

what a handsome boy! he looks to have a nice head the blue really goes well with him, looks like nice straight legs and good size body...very nice boy
default_wink.png

I know you said you wanted honest opinions, but the pictures are tough to give a thorough critique as to his conformation.

He's cute enough, but my overall feeling is that he's probably not of the quality to compete successfully at the upper levels of miniature horse shows. This is merely based on my observation of past winners, both in person and in photographs.

Part of the picture, to me, in assessing a breeding stallion is consideration of his immediate parents (as they will have some effect on the offspring of your potential stallion.).

In this time and place of Miniature horse breeding/showing and selling, I think it's very important to choose the highest quality stallion to breed, and to send out only the best to represent your farm. Money is very hard to come by for most of us, as is our time and hope.

The pictures I see right now (if he is under 6 months old) look to be a small, compact type foal which is very cute, now, and he has a sweet little head and expression, but he also has a thick look and short neck/legs in comparison to his body, maturing to a type that really is not popular in the ring right now.

I'm not trying to be negative, only realistic. I know that you love him, and I adore several of my horses, but also know that they are not top show quality. I probably don't own any that are "top" show quality right now, with the possible exception of my youngest gelding, if he were in the right hands, and I could well be wrong about that.

If you could post some side shots of him, showing his whole body (preferably on flat, level surface like pavement to assess his hoof/pastern angles) and front straight-on shots of him (to assess the angle of legs), it would help a lot.

If you want us to give our opinions on breeding quality, it would help to see his sire and dam with similar pics (we would not critique them if you don't own them, but could privately give our opinions).

Keep in mind that opinions are merely that. There are some horses on here that everyone adores that I would never choose for breeding for the reasons mentioned above. My preference is for longer-legged, longer-necked horses with nice hips (this has been hard for me to achieve, as hips are notoriously weak in minis UNLESS they also have short legs and short necks seems like). I do tend to agree with many of the National and World champ choices, as I would love to have any of them in my barn.

This little man is cute, but he seems to me to be of the type to be a great pleasure gelding. He can still bring notoriety to your farm as a gelding, as they dont' need to take breaks from shows in the performance arena, and righ tnow, halter classes are sparse with junior geldings. Everyone will want to know where that fine little gelding came from, and hear your farm name all year long once he's trained to drive, jump, liberty, obstacle and so on and so on...

I hope you're not offended, this is merely my opinion based on my preferences. I can't safely assess his conformational defects or flaws with these pictures because they are somewhat distorted by the angle, and that's not fair to him or you.
default_smile.png

(I'm no expert, either, just so ya know).

I love silver buckskins...I had one, he died over a year ago...he was a different color every time we clipped him. You could see his pics on my page about "Kyan" if you wanted to check him out. He was a different body type than your little man and appeared not to have the hip that yours does, but he's a good example of the type I like and comparison of the color.

Liz

Latest posts

Back