Critiques??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedWagon

Reaction score
I would love to have honest critiques of these yearlings. They are my babies, so I am a bit barn blind!

Thanks!

Yearling colt Measures 29.25"

Blue2.jpg

Blue.jpg

Yearling Filly#1 Measures 28"

Georgia.jpg

Yearling Filly #2 Measures 30.5"

Legs2.jpg

I am not qualified for this though I find critiques very interresting and educating. I will say one thing that stands out is that they seem to have very nice necks to me.
default_smile.png

I am not busy so i will give it a shot, athough there are others that could be of much more help then i
default_smile.png

Yearling Colt #1 --

-Overal he needs allot more muscle, especially to fill in that hip and shoulder depth he is lacking. Tailset and croup is pretty to the eye, once you fill out that hip that will look really nice with that awesome croup and tailset. I like his back length, short but not to short and a nice topline. Neck comes out night off the shoulder and he has a nice long neck and looks like he can use it. Pretty head, maybe a little pig eyed ? Cute little ears. Nice throatlatch. Poss a little club footed on the back, but he is standing in the grass. The first pic he looks over at the knee, but the angle is weird. Pretty expression. Biggest thing he needs is muscle.

Yearling filly #2 looks VERY nice
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone.

Leanne I agree he needs to add some muscle. His eyes do look a little wierd in the pic but that it is not that way. Back legs are split due to him not cooperating with Mark. The colt is our problem child that dislocated my arm 2 weeks ago. Mark doesn't allow him to get away with anything when they are working together. This colt has came a long way in 2 weeks. You couldn't put your hand on him before at all. Mark has been out there with him first thing in the morning everyday getting trust built up. Blue will now give kisses and he is the first to come up to you when you go in the dry lot. It has taken alot of time to get this little guy to trust us. His dam wouldn't let us near him when he was a baby. She is now no longer at our farm but I am glad to say Blue is here to stay.

The 2nd filly is on a major diet and coming along nicely now. She will probably not go to Perry show due to her weight. Hopefully she will be ready for Fletcher coming up.

The 1st filly is straight off the pasture and this was her first time to ever set up.

Thanks again everyone and we would love to hear some more critiques.

Filly #1 is butt high in the photos and the sun is in the wrong location for me to give any opinion.

Filly #2 is a beauty, but again, the camera angle is in front of the horse which I think is making her neck (which is beautiful) be slightly shorter than I bet it is.

Photos are very important if you are trying to get honest opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know when the Perry show is, but I wouldn't hesitate to enter Filly #2 IMO. I like her just the way she is!
default_yes.gif
The only thing I would do is conditioning rather than weight loss. The colt is nice, but seems to me to have a longish head...could be the way he's sticking his upper lip out tho! Both he and Filly #1 could use some more muscling in the hindquarters, but again...IMO. And all three of them look like they could swing a hind leg up under them for some super driving impulsion! I'll bet some muscle and conditioning will make a world of difference in the first two. All in all, I think you have a nice trio there.

OK here is Legs from the side as of today. She still needs some weight off and some conditioning. Perry show is next weekend the 6th through the 8th. Mark would have to show her also. Not sure if we could have her ready by then.

Legs1.jpg

Julie imo legs does NOT need to lose more weight! She actually just needs some conditioning. Shes a very nice mare and I would not hesitate to enter her in the show. I would teach her to flatten that croup when shes standing for halter. Also get her bridle path done to show off that nice neck

Julie imo legs does NOT need to lose more weight! She actually just needs some conditioning. Shes a very nice mare and I would not hesitate to enter her in the show. I would teach her to flatten that croup when shes standing for halter. Also get her bridle path done to show off that nice neck
KayKay,

How do I get her to flatten out her croup? In that picture the shadow is hitting her just right to hide the belly. I agree the main thing she needs is conditioning. Does anyone have any conditioning tips? We need all the help we can get!

I appreciate everyone's comments!! My trainer (hubby) is not sure if he does--means more work for him! LOL He sure is hating the fact that I have a bad shoulder right now!

For all y'all going to the Perry show, look for the handler sweating bullets and the horses doing flips!

Hope you dont mind i edited the picture slightly ..

Take your fingers (or palm) and push down on the area circled to flatted her croup and up the tailset once her get her legs set. Push, you will see the area go down ..

Legs1.jpg

On some horses, i run my fingers down the lower back and over the croup to level the topline out bit.

Makes a really pretty level croup and i LOVE a pretty topline and croup
default_yes.gif
default_smile.png
default_wink.png

Leeana,

What is pig-eyed?

The colt seems to have a nice neck and I like the angle of his shoulder. I think he needs more conditioning but what yearling doesn't???

The first filly seems average to me, but the pic isn't the best.

The second filly seems way above average to me and I personally don't think she needs to lose an ounce. Add muscle, but don't drop the weight. I personally wouldn't hesitate to show her now.

Very nice horses.
default_yes.gif

Ok this is Mark now. You all have convinced us. We will most likely show her in Perry. Everyone cross your fingers. :DOH!

Pig eyed means the eyes are too small. I think though its a bad pic

Julie & Mark this mare being a yearling does not need a ton of conditioning. Just a few mins in a round pen every other day should do it. But as her activity increases she will probably need her feed upped. Do NOT let her lose weight. Just add some tone and muscle

If you always set her croup everytime you stand her she will start to do it automatically after awhile, this also makes them suck up their belly a bit

Out of the 3 she is my pick. Good luck cant wait to hear how you do

Latest posts

Back