Critique?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Here is a little girl I'd like to hear some critiques on. I don't mind honesty and this mare does indeed belong to me. I'll share a little more about her later on in the thread.[/SIZE]

cherrypose3vo.jpg

yearling, 29" mare.

Interested in your opinions and observations. Sorry the head area is so dark and hard to see.

Liz M.

OK I'll bite!! Liz, I'll start by saying I like her overall picture a lot. As a Judge that is what counts for about 50% with me, the overall impression when I first see the horse, and whether it "fills my eye". This filly does,but I have not seen her move, which also means a lot. I would like to see her stood up better- I do not care for stretched, I feel it says the horse has something to hide, and this filly has a good hind leg. She is a trifle too well made up for a yearling- but it is the best horse on the day, not the horse who is going to look best in a years time
smile.gif
I would leave the curls out of her tail as this makes it bottom heavy and accentuates the slightly low tail set. All round, nice, even like the colour!! Wow, I got out of bed the right side didn't I?? Good length of neck, too. Cannot see the head well enough to comment, but it certainly not ugly. She's the kind of filly I look at and think- I'd like that in my broodmare band in a couple of years.

I don't know jack about yearlings, never had one and have no experience with watching them grow. But like Fizz (who must have had her chocolate fix this morning!
new_shocked.gif
laugh.gif
) I like this filly's "picture." So many of the mini mares I see seem to have long backs, her's fits the overall proportions. I did not wince at her rump and that's saying something. I like a BUTT on my horses, not that weird greyhound thing so many halter minis seem to have. As you said, it is difficult to judge her extremities in this photo.

Looking with my untutored eye...it seems to me like perhaps she could use a little more bone in her front knees? I like to see a horse with a good strong defined joint there. And as much of a fan of full natural manes/forelocks as I am, I'd have to say that perhaps her mane should be thinned a little more. I say this because the sheer volume, especially when it's short like that, serves to distort her neck and topline. I can't tell how it ties into her shoulder or withers and it makes her picture not flow as well as I think it might. Do you have another shot of her from the near side?

I like her, Liz! She reminds me of...Falcon. (Am I close?)

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I like her Liz. Her first impression is she's only a yearling? She is nicely balanced and I love her color. That's all this amatuer dares say. She sure is purty.

[SIZE=14pt]Liz I cant see past her poll at all so Ill coment on what I can see. First off I do not think she is over stretched. I love her neck length and where it ties in at the withers and at the chest. She has good muscle for a yearling . Nowdays in the ring they are picking the most mature looking horses which she does look older than a year . Her legs are beautiful, nice fine bone. I disagree with she needs more bone in her knees, that would be bad in my opinion. I like a nice flat knee.[/SIZE]

Her shoulder is almost right at the 45 degree spot, she is short backed with a nice hip. Im sure you dont intend to show her with the curls in her tail and I also would thin her mane a little more. I like her and she looks bigger than 29 inches to me because she has good length of leg for her body. She has a nice topline , tail set is slightly low. So from behind her ears back which is all I can see I really like her.

Lyn

She's beautiful, I like her a lot! Nice short back, good length of hip, and even though I can't see her head very well, what I can see of it looks great. Her overall picture shows her as balanced and well put together.
yes.gif

cherry39819bh.jpg

Here is a pic of her trotting that may show her head a little better. It is quite pretty, IMHO, and her eye is one of its best features. It's also a little on the longish side, I feel, but shaped well.

smile.gif

Thanks for all the opinions so far, it is interesting to me to see what others see and agree with also disagree with. I know it's hard w/just a pic, but I can't find too many others that would help any. You'll know why when I reveal her identity (for those of you that know, it's ok to guess or reveal it, yourself).

Liz

nootka said:
cherry39819bh.jpg
Here is a pic of her trotting that may show her head a little better.  It is quite pretty, IMHO, and her eye is one of its best features.  It's also a little on the longish side, I feel, but shaped well.

smile.gif

Thanks for all the opinions so far, it is interesting to me to see what others see and agree with also disagree with.  I know it's hard w/just a pic, but I can't find too many others that would help any.  You'll know why when I reveal her identity (for those of you that know, it's ok to guess or reveal it, yourself).

Liz

422474[/snapback]

Liz,

Is she a curly??

[SIZE=14pt]Her head is VERY pretty even though the eye to muzzle length is long. Her muzzle is small and that makes a big difference. If it were long and coarse that would be different. My Lucky has a longish face too but his muzzle is teacup. I really like this mare alot! Also I want to change my low tail set coment because she uses it so nicely when she moves.[/SIZE]

Who is it????? I cant stand the suspense????

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
now that is one nice yearling!! she is a bit long from eye to nose but as said it is beautifully shaped with that nice small muzzle. i dont think she has a low tail set. I think its too much hair left on the V and the way she is standing. Remember to always push that croup down a bit when you set her up. Id take her in minute
smile.gif

Nope...now I love her. She has my favorite face. A large pretty eye and a refined muzzle. I don't mind the longer face her entire head balances it with her lovely body. Like my Halley! You're gonna kick butt!
aktion033.gif

Hee hee, it's my now-8 year old mare, Cherry Bomb! She is the mother of Mouse, for those of you that know him. I found this photo recently, or rather noticed it again, and thought how much he looks like her.

She's a daughter of Dell Tera's Betty, though because Betty (aka Gramma Pony) was given to me and noone prior transferred her papers, I had to hardship Cherry Bomb when she was five into the AMHA. Gramma Pony has never given us another foal, but that is ok, because I found out she was 21 the year she had Cherry Bomb and I hadn't expected her to live out the winter she was so thin and lacking a will to live, it seemed.

So even though I know her parentage, she is listed as "unknown" on her AMHA papers for sire and dam.

She's also a very quiet, mellow horse and the one that I let beginners or kids drive because she has basically just one gear: walk, slowly. *LOL*

She's had four beautiful foals for me and is expecting her fifth in January '06.

I agree with all that's been said about her pretty much. She does tend to have a lowish tail set and a long head, though it IS shaped very nicely and she got her dam's gorgeous, large eyes. As she has matured, I think she needs a bit more length of neck and probably a higher neckset, but we've managed to fix that w/the stallions we've chosen for her.

That photo was taken in 1998 about a week before my first show w/her (ever). I had just taken her tail down from a tail bag and yeah, in retrospect, I could have thinned out the mane a little! I got a 6th, though, out of 7 in our class under Judge Sami Scheuring!

Thanks for playing along. Hope others can learn from these as I do and have.

Liz M.

I THOUGHT she looked especially like Mouse! And you can sure see where he gets a lot of his conformation from...
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back