Critique w/out regrets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
lhairless.jpg

As a fat little yearling

lsweb.jpg

As a four year old broodmare.

I realize these aren't the best angles...but...here is my "best" or so I feel, of MY tiny herd.

She is not perfect and has things to "work on" with the right stallion.

If I get enough of her daughters that are better than she is, and can hang onto them, I will feel good about moving on and stopping breeding her in favor of better.

Feel free to let me know what you think. Please, those of you that have "stopped" doing critiques, have a go at her. I am fairly aware of her shortcomings, but always learning.

I will NOT get offended though this is admittedly my favorite broodmare right now and if I were to keep ONE for the sole purpose of breeding, she would be it.

Matter of fact I didn't break her to drive because I knew she would be a broodmare and because I wish she'd been a little taller. She is 31.50" permanent and has a perfect bite. Both parents had perfect bites as well.

For the record, my "critique" of my mare:

Overall, she could use more leg length to balance her look, and a slightly longer neck, and a more refined head (these are aesthetics NOT necessarily conformational flaws.).

Conformationally I feel her hind leg angles are sickle-hocked somewhat. Her shoulder angle is a bit steep and her neck comes out somewhat low as a result of that?

There will be NO flames from me for posting what you see even if you don't agree with me. Anyone that flames on my behalf (if that would happen) is mentally unbalanced I would have to guess because I sure wouldn't ask for them to do so.

I also realize my "best" may be someone's "worst" but this is what I have to work with and with limited showing she did alright. I just don't have the money or knowhow to get a horse to the National level at this point in my life, to further validate my guesses/knowledge.

Liz M.

I don't do actual critiques as I'm still learning and new to minis, but...

She was a cute and chubby little yearling, what a sweet face.

I do agree she could use a little more length of leg. I don't know enough to say anything about her angles, but she still has a really sweet face and looks to have a very kind eye.

I like her ALOT and I can easily see why she is your favorite. I don't think so much that she is lacking in length of leg. Because she is carrying perhaps more weight than would be ideal for her it makes her appear shorter in the leg length. She has a nice tailset, nice topline and I do think with perhaps a little bit less weight her neck would appear longer than it does in these photos. Have you got a stallion in mind to breed her to? If you feel that you want more leg and neck than breed her to perhaps a fine boned stallion. I think she is a VERY pretty mare and certainly breeding quality
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Danielle, part of what is so "odd" about this mare is that she has a very bulky-looking body. It is nice in its proportions and yes, if she were less "fat" it would look better w/the legs, but she could definitely use longer legs. She has nice refinement of bone, though....

Anyway, she's a good girl and very pretty to look at w/nice expression. Even when this mare is "at her perfect weight" i.e. easily felt but not seen ribs, she looks fat. This was even before her first baby that she would look this way.

I have chosen two different stallions for her so far. I am pretty pleased w/what I got from her though as we all know every single horse doesn't nick perfectly. Her filly from this year resembles HER a lot and not her long-legged, very light boned daddy. I don't know that her '06 filly will see 30" though she's cute all over just not the "wow" factor I am looking for/have room to keep.

default_smile.png

Liz

I like her
default_smile.png

I love her high set tail and where her neck comes out of her body. I so love the set of her tail which to me is "perfect".

If I had a magic wand, I'd give her a little longer neck, bigger eyes / shorter head, and longer legs. Maybe also a stronger butt / hip (?).

Liz,

I like what I see of her........The way her head is turned both as a filly and a mare, it's hard to see what her throatlatch and pole looks like.

MA

ls2web.jpg

Here ya go...I think she could probably use more "hook" but I think her head is set decently on the top part of her neck.

I agree w/the larger eyes, too.

L.

She is pretty, and she would definately fit right in with my herd of horses. I like her looks, but then I see what you are calling faults in her. But I still like her.

But I still like her.
Oh, so do I! She has a pretty, feminine quality about her that makes her really enjoyable to just look at. I suppose if I could keep one for the eye candy, it would be just her, as well.

Here is a pic of her as a baby that illustrates her cute/sweet factor that she still has:

lcutea.jpg

However, my point in posting this is somewhat in response to the other post of why noone critiques anymore. She is my best/favorite and yet I see what's wrong with her as well as what's right. I think in seeing what's right and making sure I'm not wrong about THAT helps me to make better choices for future breedings.

I have to think that a conscientious and informed BREEDER would do so as well. After all, to ignore or downplay flaws and yet continue to breed is not doing anything that I would consider professional regardless of how many they produce each year, how many they sell.

To pretend your horse has a perfect, level topline when in fact it doesn't is not helping anyone except to perpetuate more "wrong" about this industry or any other in which animals are mated and produce offspring for a goal of sales/show, more breeding stock be it better or stronger, etc.

Even the best of the best put out something perplexingly "off" and this is why not every foal crop would be 100% worthy of breeding stock even when we do our best! We are only human and cannot know what will happen in every roll of the dice.

Liz

I think she is a great looking mare, especially in such a small package!!
default_smile.png

She looked awesome as a yearling, she looks like an early maturer(is that a word?)

I think he overall look is a good looking girl, could you tweak her a little, I am sure you could but she is a nice place to work from!!

She would be a favorite of mine too
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

I love her foal pic!

Personally, I feel this mare could be crossed with one of my stallions and you would get EXACTLY what you want in a foal.
default_yes.gif
: I say this because the factors you mention you would like improved are those which he will throw 95% of the time. So, she could be one of your best broodmares forever, if you just cross her correctly. These things are seen only when you have had the opportunity to view the results of a stallions get over a couple of years and with several mare types.

My suggestion would be to find the right stallion to use. See why I keep seven of them? :lol: Ok, ok, I admit that I do adore the boys!!! But truly they key is the cross and not JUST the mare or stallion.

A stallion that will throw short back, short head, long legs and fine bone.......this mare will excell for you. Send her to me!
default_wink.png
:

I like her.

*LOL* Bess, I hear you! This is part of why I respect the long-term "bigger" breeders that have larger herds, because they have the ability and the time put into observation to know these things!

I am fairly limited but thinking I have a few prospects around here since I no longer own my own stallion, I will just have to look around!

default_smile.png

Liz

"For the record, my "critique" of my mare:

Overall, she could use more leg length to balance her look, and a slightly longer neck, and a more refined head (these are aesthetics NOT necessarily conformational flaws.).

Conformationally I feel her hind leg angles are sickle-hocked somewhat. Her shoulder angle is a bit steep and her neck comes out somewhat low as a result of that?

Liz M."

These are just my simple opinions, but I agree with your critique, Liz. Her weight does appear to give her a shorter look, as was previously mentioned, but I wouldn't mind seeing longer legs on her to give her a more balance. I appreciate the feminity in her head and think it is lovely. I agree with your thoughts on her neck and hind legs, but if she were mine, I'd certainly breed her! I think she will produce nice foals for you, especially breed to the right stallion. She is a very beautiful mare and thank you for sharing her with us and having the courage to allow other people to learn from your critique.
default_wub.png
: Every has opinions, why not share them respectfully? No one HAS to agree with anyone and we can all learn from each other.
default_smile.png

I think she is a pretty mare. From what I can tell of her by the pictures, she has a pretty head, a small muzzle and I like her tail set. She does look like a little lady. Wonder how she would cross with a leopard appy? She is very pretty and would be a favorite if I owned her also!

Never know, manyspots. Her dam was a buckskin pinto w/lots of appy characteristics granddaughter of Orion Light. Many of the dam's half siblings (by Top Banana, the mare was owned for a long time by Sami Scheuring) are appaloosa.

Matter of fact, the little guy in the avatar is this mare's half brother (same dam) by Mountain Highs Shoot the Moon...where's my spots?

*LOL*

I think regardless of color, she would hold her own in almost any herd. Yeah, she could be more "elegant" I guess (as in leggy, swan-necked and her head more tiny/chiselled and larger eyes) but she flags her tail when she trots and snaps 'em along nice enough. Just would look cooler if the legs were longer and the belly not so round. Hahah she is out there saying the same thing about me I just know it. (that's the type of girl she is).

I guess all the regular critique-ers are at Nationals? Just putting her up b/c I think many can learn by seeing what the more experienced people see and point out. I hope, ultimately, that you can see what I am seeing in her as I am fairly hard on my horses because I only have room for a few, it really doesn't behoove me to be barn blind. I may be the opposite of barn blind in most cases. I really don't mind when someone tells me what's wrong about my horses as long as I understand why they say it and it's not just said out of spite and not backed up. Opinions are one thing, but a true conformation critique is another and I value those.

Liz M.

I really don't mind when someone tells me what's wrong about my horses as long as I understand why they say it and it's not just said out of spite and not backed up. Opinions are one thing, but a true conformation critique is another and I value those.

Liz M.

Agreed!!!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Well im not experienced enough to give you a critique on your mare but i just wanted to say that reading the topic does teach us beginners a lot. I now know a bit more of what to aim for in a horse. So basically thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :aktion033:

My favorite parts of her are her head and neck -- I had a mare who had the same "body style/weight" issues -- unfortunately my mare passed on that body style/weight to both of her foals.

She is a very nice mare - how does she move? (e.g. what type movement does she have?) some knee/hock action or daisy clipper or long shoulder reaching strides at the trot?

JJay

She actually does move pretty nicely though again it doesn't look so impressive on the short legs:

l902.jpg

Never seem to have a pic when she's in full trot, but she lifts 'em high back and front. Her dam was the same, it must have come through the grandsire, Orion...?

Her first daughter is nice and smooth, has a sweet topline and nice, trim barrel, but her most recent daughter is built a lot like her, so I think I almost cloned her, but this filly moves even fancier. *LOL* In bay, though!

Liz

I simply wanted to say how Nice this is.

A thoughtful exchange of comments on someones horse, all of which are what they are, and not taken for more/less.

I Missed these greatly, thank you for bringing one back and doing it the Right way Liz, and everyone else!! I learned SO much when we used to do these all the time a while ago, and really liked seeing what people had and what they thought/saw!

I love her face, the girly cute thing really works for her. I think that the crossings one picks for your own mares makes a huge differnce, but you've got a Great base in a round mare like that. (I find that Tooo refined and wimpy horses crossed together makes a non-appealling horse to alot of people, judges incl!)

I would be happy to proudly display her in my herd!! :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back