Crimson Rose Training Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was so encouraging! I spent the first part of the training session with Bliss accepting touch on her legs with a pool noodle and then my hands. I have felt all over her front legs before, but she has shown worry over me touching her back legs, so I thought for my safety, I would bring out the pool noodle. She did very well, even though she got nervous a few times. I was able to advance to touching her completely over all four legs with the pool noodle, then my hands, and picking up her two front feet by the end of the session! Once again with only scratches and praise as the reward while she was completely at liberty. I then got Ella out for a long grazing walk around our property. She was excellent even when the neighbors horses decided to visit. I then worked on her targeting skills before bringing out the pool noodle and having her target it. Ella has been very nervous about touch on her legs at all and has kicked at something touching her legs that startled her, so I was very cautious with her, and willing to take touch acceptance on her legs really slow rewarding with hay pellets for each small step. She did really well and stayed decently calm the whole time. I was able to touch her legs all over with the pool noodle as well as her blind side. I highly rewarded her after that with a jackpot of hay pellets. I am so pleased with both of them today! 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_120526.jpg
    IMG_20221118_120526.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_120514.jpg
    IMG_20221118_120514.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_122522.jpg
    IMG_20221118_122522.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_131000.jpg
    IMG_20221118_131000.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_130957.jpg
    IMG_20221118_130957.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
I haven't had any training sessions with the ponies in about a week due to being out of town for Thanksgiving and the weather, other than taking Ella on grazing walks. Today was pasture cleaning day before a storm hits us tomorrow, but I did make time to take Ella on a long grazing walk on our road and in the woods. She did really well, and I was able to practice leading her away from Bliss calmly, backing, and trotting her. I decided to try to fly spray her, as she was being so calm, and she allowed me to, so I was very thankful for that! I honestly had no idea how she would take it. I am hoping to get in some good training this week after the rain stops. 🐎🌹

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_150615.jpg
    IMG_20221128_150615.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221122_130844.jpg
    IMG_20221122_130844.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Today I was finally able to get out, and really work with the ponies. I started off by working with Bliss on touch acceptance all over her body and then picking up her feet. I then introduced her to the hoof pick, and cleaned out her front hooves slowly, giving her plenty of breaks to allow her to build up her balance on three legs, and to reward her with scratches. Then I went to get an empty plastic feed bag to introduce to Bliss and Ella. The feed bag is kind of like a tarp material, so I thought that it would be great to introduce it to them before a tarp. Bliss is going to eventually be my horse agility partner when she is old enough, so I want to start slowly introducing her to things like this. The bag still smelt like feed, so they were not afraid of it at all, and quickly were walking all over it and pawing at it. Once they were finished exploring the bag, I worked with Bliss on liberty leading over the bag, around the pasture, and then over some fallen branches. The day has been so beautiful that I couldn't leave them, so I got Ella out for a nice walk on our road. I have been trying to slowly build her up to traveling a lot on the road, as she really enjoys walks, and I believe working on roads is great for helping self trim their hooves. Ella still isn't that comfortable being groomed all over or touched, so we are still needing to work on that as well. Overall it was a nice day. ❤️🐎

Attachments

• IMG_20221205_151124.jpg
    IMG_20221205_151124.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221205_151135.jpg
    IMG_20221205_151135.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221205_151148.jpg
    IMG_20221205_151148.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday I had a quick "desensitization" lesson with Bliss and Christmas decorations. 🤣 She did decent, but I had a headache, the wind was blowing, and I didn't have any help to take pictures, so this is as good as we got picture wise. She did allow me to put a tree skirt on her back, and it was really cute, but the wind kept blowing it off. 🤦🎄🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221206_153820.jpg
    IMG_20221206_153820.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221206_153524.jpg
    IMG_20221206_153524.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
As I went outside today to work with the ponies, Bliss was laying down sleeping in the sun, and allowed me to walk up and get a good picture before getting up. I spent the day reviewing things with her: grooming, touch acceptance all over, picking up her feet, haltering, leading, and backing. She was a good girl, but seemed somewhat distracted today, but it could have just been the heat. The poor filly was sweating some under her winter coat. I then got Ella out, and worked on quickly grooming her and spraying her with fly spray. We are still working with her touch acceptance and being patient with grooming, as she really doesn't care for being touched much. I then took her on a nice grazing walk slowly going further and further away out of Bliss' view. Ella did really well, and I rewarded her afterwards with a long graze back in my woods in the shade. 💕🐴🎄

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_114717.jpg
    IMG_20221209_114717.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221209_134244.jpg
    IMG_20221209_134244.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Today I worked on Bliss tying, and holding her feet up so that I could clean out her hooves in preparation for her first trim once I get my trimming tools in the mail. I have been studying these past few months on becoming a barefoot trimmer for my ponies, and I feel confident about carefully giving it a try. I worked on pressure and release with scratches as a reward, when working on tying, and Bliss did well. She is very light and sensitive for a baby, and such a quick learner. We also worked on leading and backing. I then took Ella out for her walk on our driveway to help self trim her feet, and then worked on touch acceptance which she still is having trouble with. I am starting her this week on some supplements that I hope will help her with digestive comfort, calmness, weight gain. She did okay with the training, but isn't as calm as I would like. She had a wonderful time on the walk though as usual, and is excited each time she sees me with her halter. I am so glad that both of my ponies are always happy to work with me, and always meet me at the gate. 🥰🐎🌹

Attachments

• IMG_20221227_114809.jpg
    IMG_20221227_114809.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221227_114827.jpg
    IMG_20221227_114827.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
As I went outside today to work with the ponies, Bliss was laying down sleeping in the sun, and allowed me to walk up and get a good picture before getting up. I spent the day reviewing things with her: grooming, touch acceptance all over, picking up her feet, haltering, leading, and backing. She was a good girl, but seemed somewhat distracted today, but it could have just been the heat. The poor filly was sweating some under her winter coat. I then got Ella out, and worked on quickly grooming her and spraying her with fly spray. We are still working with her touch acceptance and being patient with grooming, as she really doesn't care for being touched much. I then took her on a nice grazing walk slowly going further and further away out of Bliss' view. Ella did really well, and I rewarded her afterwards with a long graze back in my woods in the shade. 💕🐴🎄
Looking at the pictures, I'd be rather concerned about the body condition of Ella. Has she had a good dose of three of antiparasitic treatment? Obviously you're feeding well, Bliss looks lovely, but Ella shouldn't be so thin. You're doing such an awesome job as a mini mom, I'm sure you're on it. Perhaps it's a dental issue?

Looking at the pictures, I'd be rather concerned about the body condition of Ella. Has she had a good dose of three of antiparasitic treatment? Obviously you're feeding well, Bliss looks lovely, but Ella shouldn't be so thin. You're doing such an awesome job as a mini mom, I'm sure you're on it. Perhaps it's a dental issue?
You are definitely right. She came to me neglected and very underweight, more so then I have posted pictures about. She had a body score of a two to three. She hadn't had any kind of anything done to her in years. I have had her seen by an equine dentist, dewormed twice, and now have her on Succeed. She is doing much better, but still isn't where I would like. She also had no muscle mass, and I have been walking her to try to help with that. I am about to add flaxseed to her meals as well. She has been on unlimited hay, and a 14/7 protein fat ratio grain. 😊

For reference on Ella's journey, I will post a picture of her as a three year old, a picture from the first day that I had her that helps show her condition, and a picture of her wet in the rain from today, to show her progress ❤️ I am kind of surprised that no one asked me about her body condition until now. I honestly went originally to buy only Bliss, but got Ella along as well for super cheap due to her condition. I bought them from a retiring breeder, and couldn't leave her alone there. I hope that she continues to heal, and I am starting to see great progress towards her creating a relationship with me as well. She always comes to the gate, whinnies when she sees me, and loves to hang around me when I am in the pasture.

Attachments

• Elle_5-10_003-295x213.jpg
    Elle_5-10_003-295x213.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221023_153403.jpg
    IMG_20221023_153403.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221229_154835.jpg
    IMG_20221229_154835.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Oh @Crimson Rose , you're doing a great job, and they're so lucky to be in your care, especially Ella girl! You definitely know what you're doing and she'll continue to come along. It pulls so hard on my heart strings, rehabbing the living skeletons. It's been a few years now since our last, but we had 2 seniors (one a nursing mare plus colt on side) who came into our care one summer. Both of them, body scores of 1-2. Within months, they looked the same as the rest of the herd. The mare was out on pasture, but was infested with parasites (we treated with 5 days of Safe Guard, I believe) and would not eat regular timothy grass. She wanted Alfalfa. Well, we have warmbloods, she got alfalfa. The gelding was early 20s and was in a mixed herd pasture. He was a retired grand prix jumper, didn't understand life "in the herd on a pasture" and deteriorated. He also had fewer teeth. So we tended to his dietary needs, cleaned him out twice good with dewormer and he remained a fat old man for his last several years with us.
I might suggest having a fecal collection analyzed for any parasites holding on. Her weakened immune system could contribute to them not getting completely cleaned out. Otherwise, please continue to do the fantastic work you have going on! I really enjoy reading about your progress!

@Dragon Hill @Standards Equine
Rehabbing is definitely rewarding! It is so very sad at the state some people let their horses get in. I just don't understand it. It really breaks your heart, especially the horses who have given their owners so much. I am glad that I get to help Ella. She reminds me so much of the pony that I grew up with and learned to ride on. ❤️

I am so ready for springtime! These short days, crazy weather, plus sinus issues are about to drive me crazy! 🤣 I did get to spend time walking Ella a few times this week, and we worked on touch acceptance more. She is getting much better, and I believe that she is finally settling in, and that her tummy issues are healing. She looks for me at the gate, and is so happy to go walking around our property. Some days she grazes more, and some days she wants to expire more. I just love her calm, quiet nature. After walking with Ella, I later worked with Bliss on tying, grooming while tied, and picking out her hooves while tied. She did well, but needs work on staying patient, which will come with time. I gave her many little breaks without to walk around. I then introduced her to fly spray, which she didn't really like the feel of. We will have to work on being calm and still for that in the future. She then did so well leading, backing, and standing that I decided to take her outside the pasture for the first time by herself. She was a little excited, but did her best to be good. She enjoyed grazing in someplace new, and walking around. I can't wait to spend more time walking her, and seeing her reaction to new things and adventures. 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20230106_142743.jpg
    IMG_20230106_142743.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back