Crimson Rose Training Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson Rose

Positive Reinforcement Pony Trainer
Reaction score
Ponies In Current Training:

1. Ella-2008 ASPC/AMHR Chestnut Tobiano Mare-I have no history of her previous training

2. Bliss-2022 ASPC/AMHR Chestnut Tovero Filly-Very little handling

First Training Session. I spent time cleaning their pasture while Bliss followed me curiously investigating the wheel barrow and mucking fork. She was so adorable cautiously following me, then trotting or cantering away when I would move from place to place. They also got to enjoy a timothy pellet snack, and I sat in my lawn chair watching them from under our trees. This week will mostly be spent getting to know them and hopefully deworm them. 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_102700.jpg
    IMG_20221024_102700.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221024_105420.jpg
    IMG_20221024_105420.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
For the today's session, I spent time figuring out what foods Ella and Bliss likes or not likes, and how they react around them. I set the food up in pans, and also in a box as a food enrichment puzzle to see what they would do. This information will be useful for me when I go to teach them treat manners and use food in my training. I then took Ella for a short walk and dewormed her. 😊🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_105122.jpg
    IMG_20221025_105122.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221025_105137.jpg
    IMG_20221025_105137.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
Oh fun! You'll look back in time and review where you've come from with your littles and be so surprised that they was a time they weren't yet superstars! I really appreciate your enrichment puzzle. Brain games are phenomenal for horses and donkeys in general! Last night I worked my big fancy warmblood stallion in hand. The barn we board at focuses on obstacle races, we just work in between in the space available. Last night there was a big stuffed teddy bear in the middle of the arena. lol big tough stallion became fire-breathing dragon as the teddy bear surely had teeth and would jump up and bite his legs at any moment. Eventually he stood quietly beside it, put a foot on it and walked over it without tossing it a warning kick on his way past. Funny animals! Anyways, next on your list, giant teddy bear!!! Keep posting, this is awesome!

Oh fun! You'll look back in time and review where you've come from with your littles and be so surprised that they was a time they weren't yet superstars! I really appreciate your enrichment puzzle. Brain games are phenomenal for horses and donkeys in general! Last night I worked my big fancy warmblood stallion in hand. The barn we board at focuses on obstacle races, we just work in between in the space available. Last night there was a big stuffed teddy bear in the middle of the arena. lol big tough stallion became fire-breathing dragon as the teddy bear surely had teeth and would jump up and bite his legs at any moment. Eventually he stood quietly beside it, put a foot on it and walked over it without tossing it a warning kick on his way past. Funny animals! Anyways, next on your list, giant teddy bear!!! Keep posting, this is awesome!
That is too funny! I will definitely have to add large teddy bear to my list! ❤️

Today we played a game called the grazing game from Mustang Maddy's positive reinforcement course that I took a few years ago. You basically reward the pony for calm grazing by giving them hay pellets (my reward of choice), and show them your empty hands if they look to you for food. This gets them used to a no food signal and also eating calmly beside you. Both Ella and Bliss did very well. I will continue this game for a few days before going on to my next lesson. 🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221026_143140.jpg
    IMG_20221026_143140.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Oh, this is lovely! Love positive reinforcement and mental enrichment. See you're in Texas too, and that stuff isn't really common down here, is it? 😂
No, it definitely isn't 🤣 I am the only one I know that does it in my area. The only people I know who do it in Texas, I met online and never in person. What part of Texas are you from?

Same here, LOL. I am way down south as well, so it's even more rare here. It's all about "respect" so they can track 'em cows. 🤠
Exactly! Then they have no clue what we would be able to do with our miniature horses 🤣 They are all like, why get miniatures? Just because they are cute?! LOL

Exactly! Then they have no clue what we would be able to do with our miniature horses 🤣 They are all like, why get miniatures? Just because they are cute?! LOL
And if you have a miniature, they think it's for a handy grandson to goat tie on. And that there's a big horse later on. :rolleyes:

Oh gosh, I'm so glad I haven't experienced Texas in that way! It would definitely be a cultural adventure, which would be fun, but I think I'd probably stay away from the horse part. I really enjoyed southern California though. For the dressage horse part. But I totally agree with you @Crimson Rose and @red.pinto, positive reinforcement, taking time to be present with the horses (big or little!) and gentle training goes SO FAR in building a trusting relationship with them. Not a relationship of fear-based obedience where they'll ditch you given half a chance.
Keep being the positive change in the world!

Oh gosh, I'm so glad I haven't experienced Texas in that way! It would definitely be a cultural adventure, which would be fun, but I think I'd probably stay away from the horse part. I really enjoyed southern California though. For the dressage horse part. But I totally agree with you @Crimson Rose and @red.pinto, positive reinforcement, taking time to be present with the horses (big or little!) and gentle training goes SO FAR in building a trusting relationship with them. Not a relationship of fear-based obedience where they'll ditch you given half a chance.
Keep being the positive change in the world!
Thank you! And yes, Texas really is like a whole other country the further you come down, haha! Slowly but surely positive reinforcment is cropping up in Texas trainers, so it is coming!!

I personally really love living in Texas, and I believe that positive reinforcement will eventually pick up quick here. I think that the reason why it is taking so long is that so many people and families have horse histories here, and they tend to just do what they always have done.

Today I took Ella grazing outside the pasture to spend time with her, and also to see how she would react to being separated from Bliss. She was nervous at first, but did well overall. We didn't go far, and stayed within the eyeshot of Bliss. I will be needing to separate them eventually when I train, so this information helped me in knowing how I should start working going forward. I also found out that Ella really doesn't like her legs being messed with especially the back two, so I will be planning on working on that during the next month. 🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_105842.jpg
    IMG_20221028_105842.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221028_104934.jpg
    IMG_20221028_104934.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
Today I took Ella grazing outside the pasture to spend time with her, and also to see how she would react to being separated from Bliss. She was nervous at first, but did well overall. We didn't go far, and stayed within the eyeshot of Bliss. I will be needing to separate them eventually when I train, so this information helped me in knowing how I should start working going forward. I also found out that Ella really doesn't like her legs being messed with especially the back two, so I will be planning on working on that during the next month. 🌹🐴
I have SO MUCH RESPECT for you identifying that your pony is uncomfortable with something and, instead of just avoiding it, you make a plan to address the behavior! It drives me BONKERS when people say "Oh, my horse doesn't like *picking up his feet (bridling, saddling, leaving the pen, what have you) so we just don't do that." Not doing the horse any favors! Deal with the behavior. Take steps, identify, reward positive, correct negative - even if that means just not removing pressure. Correction doesn't mean beat the horse - show it who's boss... ugh! 🤮
You keep being awesome! Your littles are so fortunate to have landed with you.

I have SO MUCH RESPECT for you identifying that your pony is uncomfortable with something and, instead of just avoiding it, you make a plan to address the behavior! It drives me BONKERS when people say "Oh, my horse doesn't like *picking up his feet (bridling, saddling, leaving the pen, what have you) so we just don't do that." Not doing the horse any favors! Deal with the behavior. Take steps, identify, reward positive, correct negative - even if that means just not removing pressure. Correction doesn't mean beat the horse - show it who's boss... ugh! 🤮
You keep being awesome! Your littles are so fortunate to have landed with you.
Thank you so very much! Your comment really encouraged me! I completely agree with you %100! I thoroughly believe that when you take ownership of a horse or pony that if they should leave your care they should be set up better for life then when they came to you, and that it is your responsibility. I knew that Ella especially was going to come with baggage, as she is basically a rescue, and I knew we would have to work through things. As much as I honestly want to work with Bliss more, Ella needs more of my attention right now to work through things in a calm, positive way so that she can receive the health care she needs and recover mentally. Both are doing so much better than a week ago, but we still have a long way to go!

Well, today's training started out well, then took an interesting turn. I caught Ella easily for our walk, then just as we went through the pasture gate, a bee decided that it really liked Ella's legs. She stood still stomping at it, and I led her forward trying to get away, but the crazy bee followed us! I then asked her to trot away, to which she did well, and we tried to get far away, but the bee again followed us for quite a ways. I then tried to see if it would fly off by swishing the lead rope around Ella's legs and he wouldn't leave! She was awesome through the whole thing, but was getting somewhat frustrated at it constantly trying to land on her legs. Finally it landed on the ground and I squashed it with my boot. I hated killing it, but it was determined to land on Ella, and I am sure sting her. That really wouldn't have ended well. Then I grazed her for about thirty minutes, and decided to try tying her outside of the pasture for a quick groom. She told me quickly that she doesn't like tying, so we are going to have to work on that as well now. I later got out my treat pouch, timothy pellets, and clicker to get both Ella and Bliss used to the sound, and that the click marker signal means that food is coming. They both really enjoyed the game, and neither one were bothered by the sound of my clicker. 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221031_153754.jpg
    IMG_20221031_153754.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221031_153808.jpg
    IMG_20221031_153808.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Today I worked with Bliss on getting her used to the halter at liberty. I started by having her sniff it, then I rubbed it on her, using scratches as a reward. She did very well, so I then proceeded to put it on her muzzle, and then continued all the way to almost buckling the halter. 🥰 I am so proud of this smart little filly! 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221102_122059.jpg
    IMG_20221102_122059.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back