Crimson Rose Training Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I worked with Bliss on getting her used to the halter at liberty. I started by having her sniff it, then I rubbed it on her, using scratches as a reward. She did very well, so I then proceeded to put it on her muzzle, and then continued all the way to almost buckling the halter. 🥰 I am so proud of this smart little filly! 💕🌹🐴
Smart and so cute ❣️

I spent this morning cleaning the pasture really well, and then took Ella for a grazing walk, then introduced her to targeting. She did really well, and stayed decently calm throughout the whole process. I then took her grazing for a while longer before working on her tying. She did much better tying today, and only got irritated toward the end when she knew I was coming to untie her. She believed that I definitely could come over and untie her faster! LOL! I then worked on introducing Bliss to the target, and she was a super star at it, and loved it! I then let them rest, and came back a hour later to work with Bliss and the halter. Today she let me put it on her for a few seconds several times before I took it off again. Progress! 💕🐴🌹

Attachments

• IMG_20221103_125312.jpg
    IMG_20221103_125312.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221103_125745.jpg
    IMG_20221103_125745.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
We have had rain off and on today, with a storm coming tonight, so I just got a little session in with Bliss, but it was a really productive one! She was very happy to come up to work for scratches today as has become normal, and the few times she got nervous, she stayed right next to me. I was able to get her halter on a few times, and then she let me leave it on her for a few minutes and she stayed completely calm. I was so proud of her! She is such a sweetheart, and quick learner! 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221104_101339.jpg
    IMG_20221104_101339.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221104_101407.jpg
    IMG_20221104_101407.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
They're learning and succeeding quickly because they have a confident and kind leader! Horses truly don't like to have to make decisions on their own, but they really need to trust in their leadership to keep them safe and happy. You're showing that you can provide them that and they're feeling more and more confident in you. Keep being amazing!

Today was pasture cleaning day, as it hadn't been cleaned in four days due to the rain, and a very busy weekend. Afterwards due to the eighty degree temperatures, and already sweaty ponies due to it, I decided it would be a nice day to just sit in the pasture with my big red camping chair and maybe groom the ponies if they decided to come over. Poor Ella hasn't seen a grooming brush in a while, and I don't think Bliss ever has so I figured they wouldn't be that interested, but I was so wrong! Bliss came right over, and after a introduction to the curry comb, decided that it was the best thing ever, and I spent the next thirty minutes grooming her all over with it. I think that it really helped her cool down, and of course take care of her itches. Ella let me groom her a little, but was too interested in taking a nap in the shade for it to last. During this I also figured out that Bliss loves selfies, and I have posted a few of her best shots for your enjoyment. LOL! The rest of the images will be posted on their Facebook page. At the end of the photo shoot, and more grooming Bliss fell asleep with her head against my chair. I absolutely love this filly, and her kind mom! 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221107_122544.jpg
    IMG_20221107_122544.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221107_122521.jpg
    IMG_20221107_122521.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221107_122539.jpg
    IMG_20221107_122539.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221107_125619.jpg
    IMG_20221107_125619.jpg
We had a slightly cooler day then yesterday with a nice breeze, and I made the best of it. I started off by working with Ella on tying and targeting, then taught her treat manners which she picked up on really fast! I then continued working on treat manners while leading her around letting her graze and browse around our side and front yard. She did really well. I can tell that her feelings around me are changing, and she is becoming much softer and focused. I then worked with Bliss on targeting and putting on the halter for a few minutes, before I went inside for lunch. After lunch I worked with Bliss on haltering, rope acceptance all around her body, and then leading! All with only scratches as a reward. She did excellent, and stayed calm and engaged the entire time. I am so pleased with both of these ponies! 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221108_131505.jpg
    IMG_20221108_131505.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Just curious, how do you work on treat manners?
I mark the behavior that I like, in this case standing calmly with her head forward or away from the treat pouch, with my clicker or a tongue click and then reward her with hay pellets 😊 She learns this way that asking me for food never works, and that the food will come to her when she is calm. I then gradually increase the time between the behavior, and the marking then rewarding. I first teach this in protected contact from across the fence. She learned it so quickly that I could take her on a walk and practice it during the walk on the same day. Not all horses will be able to do that, it all depends on how they act around food, how outgoing they are, ect.

Today was deworming day for Bliss as I felt that her training had come along far enough to try. She has never been dewormed before, or I would have taken a slower route to training her for it. She did excellent though, and took it very easily and seemed to like the apple flavored ivermectin! I then rewarded her with lots of scratches and grooming, which she loved. I then created another enrichment box with pellets for them to play with. I wish that I could have done training today as it is gorgeous outside, but I have to get things done before church tonight. 🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_110904.jpg
    IMG_20221109_110904.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221109_110910.jpg
    IMG_20221109_110910.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Ella resting after her dental appointment today. She had a lot of issues going on in her mouth, and needed quite a bit of sedation to get them taken care of. I am so thankful for our local equine dentist coming out to work on her! ❤️🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221110_142948.jpg
    IMG_20221110_142948.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
We have been having cold and rainy weather the past few days. I tried to clean part of the pasture, but it was really difficult with everything so wet. I hope that the sun comes out soon! I was able to spend about thirty minutes with Bliss working on haltering, leading, backing, and touch acceptance on her legs. She did wonderful as usual. She is the smartest and lightest horse I have ever had the pleasure to train. She is such a joy! 💕🌹🐴

Attachments

• IMG_20221115_120447.jpg
    IMG_20221115_120447.jpg

Latest posts

Back