Crimped hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought some alfalfa that has been crimped, from a professional hay grower with high-end equipment. Small bales. Have not used any yet; just wondering if anyone has used it.

Crimping flattens and breaks the stems/stalks so that it dries more evenly; otherwise the leaves dry faster than the stalks and you get leaf shatter and lose a lot of the leaves when baling (or the stalks aren't dry enough when the leaves are dry enough, and you get mold).

Yep, what @chandab said. It isn't gonna affect the feed quality really, if anything it'll be better. You should be fine to use it. Most hay is crimped, some just more than others.

Thanks for the picture and the definition. I may have feed crimped hay before now that I know what it is. Bales were wicked heavy and messy. It wasn't sold to me as crimped, but came from a place who had many suppliers, so who knows.

Do you think it might be treated with something? Around here some farmers treat the cut hay with some stuff that makes it dry faster. My horses won't eat hay that's treated. I don't know what the stuff is called, I used to, but I'm no kid anymore either and I forgot :D

One thing about crimped alfalfa--if there are blister beetles in the field, the crimping will kill them and leave them in the hay. If the hay is cut without crimping, the beetles will generally leave the hay before it is baled. If the hay comes from an area with blister beetles, check it carefully prior to feeding. Otherwise--crimped hay is often nicer--more leaves, and a little softer hay because it dried quicker and is less brittle. I don't remember a horse ever refusing to eat crimped hay.

There should not be blister beetles. These are professional hay growers, and it's too early in the season for them.
I weighed it this morning. I've been giving them 4 oz. a day. Midnight eats the Thyro-L fine on the alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back