creating a web site

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelia

Reaction score
I think it's time that I get a web site up and I am confused. How have some of you done it? I have been reading about how to create the web site myself and I think I could do it. Then you have to get a domain name. I think I could do that too. Then you have to have a web server that you pay to keep it on the web. (That's the part that confuses me). If I paid someone to do it I guess they would have more resources than me and could make it look better. Would they take care of the whole process and how would I add or change information? Let me know how you have done it.

Shelia B.

I designed my website myself. Its sorta a private side job for me. I use a program called frontpage 2003 to design/maintain mine. I believe there are other programs, free programs out there that you can use. I bought my hosting and domain all from 1 place. Godaddy.com

If you pay someone to do it, you can either let the person handle buying the domain and hosting. Or you buy it and then give the link and log in/password information to the person handleing it. I myself feel this is a better idea as it really puts you in control. You will recieve the bill each month or year how ever you set up your payment program. As well, you can slowly start learning on your own to maintain it yourself.

When paying someone they will give you a set price for a certain amount of pages and pictures to each page. Some programers will give you a certain amount of free updates. Then only once you use up those updates do they charge you. Its usually like 20-50 and Hr for updates. But again it all depends on their contract. You go back and forth on what you want in your website. Colors etc.. The person you hire should go back and forth with you until your satisfied with the appearance of your site.

I hope that helps you a bit. You can pm if you need more.

I did mine through homestead. You can get your own domain name through homestead and download the program you need for creating the website. Its REALLY easy. In fact, a friend of mine designed a website through homestead at the same time I was teaching her how to run the computer. Within a few days of learning how to turn it on she was creating the website.

I've had my website for so long, I may not remember it all exactly right! I think that Earthlink, who hosts the site for me, set up the domain for me. I designed the website using the HTML editor that comes with (or came with) Netscape Navigator and also with Coffee Cup HTML. I'm always fooling with it and updating it -- www.whinny4me.com.

I make a lot of websites for myself and other people. The biggest thing I tell new people is never let anyone (including web designers) else buy your domain name for you! This is a huge mistake. I remember years ago Lowell Boone fired his web designer and hired a new one. Well web designer number one reserved the .com name and refused to let Lowell use it when he hired someone else. So instead of boonesminis.com he had to use boonesminis.net. It happens a lot!

I always recommend Yahoo Hosting. To me its the most economical and easiest to use. You get your domain name free, 25 email addresses and a huge website. Right now they have a special for 7.95 per month for the first 3 months then its 11.95. If you buy Yahoo hosting you are automatically in Yahoo search. Once you sign up for hosting you can download Yahoo sitebuilder. This is a really easy to use website builder and you also get tons of reports for your site.

I can look and see where all my hits came from, what time, what day etc.

Heres a link to Yahoo hosting on my website. All you need is the starter package

Yahoo Link

Reading what Kay just said, I checked my own "Whois" domain registration info, and happily see that I'm the "real" owner of the domain and not Earthlink (though I've been very, VERY pleased with their service the past six (6) years
default_yes.gif
They're not the cheapest but never have a problem with it loading slow, being down, etc. I do also own a couple sound alike domains, purchased through godaddy.com who redirects them to my site (www.whinnyforme.com, www.whinney4me.com, etc.)

Thank you all so much! I have been wondering about the web server because if you choose one that goes out of business does your web site go away?
default_new_shocked.gif
If so, that would be a reason to get a well established one. I saw some that said you get a free Domain name for life which seemed kind of scary, because I thought once you reserved your Domain name it is yours. I am somewhat computer challenged, so this whole thing makes me really nervous!

I found a place that shows how to do it using HTML and if I follow that I can probably create one, but some of these other ones may have nice choices for backgrounds and it might be easier.

I checked the Yahoo site and it says $11.95 a month and I think they will set up your domain name for you. I wish they would show the graphics and stuff before you commit to it.

What about the pictures? Do they have a way to do things with the pictures like making a collage or changing the background. Do you have to do that before adding the pictures? I don't know how to do much with the pictures on my computer.

Shelia B.

Depending on where you buy your domain name you can have to renew it every couple years and pay the fee again. That is where some say "for life"

Remember domain names and hosting are 2 different things. The host "hosts" your website and keeps it live for people to see it. I have HUGE sites on Yahoo and have never even come close to going over my bandwith.

From a web building standpoint its much easier to get your name and hosting at the same time. I have a cow farm I am trying to make a site for now and she already bought her .com name. Well now she cant remember her username and password so that I can redirect the .com name. ughhh.

Heres are the sites I have made with Yahoo. You can use Yahoo templates or you can make your own. I do not use the templates but they are great for someone not familiar with webbuilding. You can see from these they all look different.

Oh also I just got an email from Yahoo and I guess they are now doing unlimited websites for 11.95. They used to have different packages to choose from now you just get everything for the lower price.

deer site

my personal site

horse site

pony site

okay going out on a whim here on what I pay, but its cheap and pretty much the cheapest I have ever been able to find. I just renewed my domain registery. I believe it was 24.95 for 2 years. I pay 3.95 a month on hosting, but you can set it up to pay yearly. I've never had an issue with the site going down. Its pretty fast, no ads or anything, and I have a large bandwith. I have 2 folders of pictures and at least 20 pages sitting on my hosting. godaddy.com

I did it! (I think?) I should be notified today or tomorrow to start setting it up. I used web.com. They set up the domain name and I got the do it yourself version. They say I can use HTML if I choose to or can use the things on their site. It says I can update it very easily myself. We will see! I hope I chose the right one. I chose a monthly fee so if it doesn't turn out to be what I want then I won't be out too much money.

Shelia B.

I just went and read that thread and she is using a very old outdated version of Yahoo pagebuilder. I really think if she downloaded the new Yahoo sitebuilder she would get rid of the problems.

Nothing is perfect but I and my customers and friends have used Yahoo for years and rarely have problems

Sheila good luck on your new site! I just am not a fan of hand coding html pages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it! (I think?) I should be notified today or tomorrow to start setting it up. I used web.com. They set up the domain name and I got the do it yourself version. They say I can use HTML if I choose to or can use the things on their site. It says I can update it very easily myself. We will see! I hope I chose the right one. I chose a monthly fee so if it doesn't turn out to be what I want then I won't be out too much money.

Shelia B.

Great! Congrats on your new, soon to be website. lol

Congratulations, Shelia! I look forward to seeing what you come up with! I have a lot of fun with mine and hope you will have the same with yours
default_yes.gif

Sheila, I just put my website up in 16 hours. I used godaddy.com. For the whole package it was a bit more spendy than yahoo. But I like their web building capabilities, fast customer service and ease of use.

Google for build my own website and you will get a myriad of easy to use web building websites.

Just make sure whomever you sign up with, they are easy to use and have great customer service in case you get stuck.

Back