Crazy shedding in winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldyvixenne

Reaction score
Hi, new here and I have a 9 month old mini named Copper who is training to become my service animal. Copper is intact as a stallion and lives in our garage when he’s not in the house or running free in the backyard. We also have 3 standard sized horses and a donkey and her baby (7 months old). We live in Kentucky and this has been a weird winter but Copper has decided to shed and he has almost completely slicked out in just around 3 weeks, He doesn’t get groomed too much and he is still his hair just fell out. We are still having cold weather and even snow the last couple of weeks. I’ve read that mini yearlings typically shed out slower so is this something I should be concerned about and especially with it being so early? Since he’s almost completely slicked out now do I just blanket him on cold days when I put him out? 9EE67059-1BDF-492C-AD47-A87B728484EF.jpeg

It's probably because he's spending time in your house where it's warm. I'd blanket him really well when he's out so his temp stays about the same. Drastic temp changes can be a cause of colic.

If he is indoors where the lights are on--during hours that are normally dark--that will do it. Our horses did this one wi ter when they were in the barn at night--we would put them in and then have the lights on while doing all the chores--it was likely adding 3 hours of light to each day. They shed out really early.

Horses grow and shed their hair based on daylight hours. So, spending time in the house with lights on is speeding up the normal spring cycle. Yes, blanket when he goes out.
Horses shed twice a year... They start their summer coat growth after the winter solstice and at the same time are just starting to let go of their winter coat, extra time under lights will speed up the shedding process. They start their winter coat growth after the summer solstice and at the same time are starting to grow their winter coat.

Horses grow and shed their hair based on daylight hours. So, spending time in the house with lights on is speeding up the normal spring cycle. Yes, blanket when he goes out.
Horses shed twice a year... They start their summer coat growth after the winter solstice and at the same time are just starting to let go of their winter coat, extra time under lights will speed up the shedding process. They start their winter coat growth after the summer solstice and at the same time are starting to grow their winter coat.
I learned something today:)
I thought they shed according to temperature.🥵🥶

OK.. so i've been leaving my barn light on accident and now my mini is shedding her guard hairs can i reverse this! ITS STILL JANUARY!!!! Im now shutting off the lights will this stop the process!!!!

It will help, if you remember to shut the lights off, but as we are after the winter solstice, the process of moving from winter coat to summer coat has begun.

It will help, if you remember to shut the lights off, but as we are after the winter solstice, the process of moving from winter coat to summer coat has begun.
Already? It's just she didn't start shedding until a little later in spring last year. Quick question though, If your horse does get their summer coat earlier do they get their winter coat earlier.

Stallions...
The first animal to shed out in the winter (as soon as the daylight becomes longer) is the stallion. The last one to gain his winter coat is also the stallion. Maybe testosterone keeps them warmer?

I don't know if testosterone keeps them warmer, my little stallion was the only one I had to blanket this year. He is also shedding by the handful already so I don't think the lights are the problem. Mine usually starts around now, but it doesn't turn into crazy clouds of horse hair for a while.

Latest posts

Back