Crazy shedding in winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Ldyvixenne

Reaction score
Hi, new here and I have a 9 month old mini named Copper who is training to become my service animal. Copper is intact as a stallion and lives in our garage when he’s not in the house or running free in the backyard. We also have 3 standard sized horses and a donkey and her baby (7 months old). We live in Kentucky and this has been a weird winter but Copper has decided to shed and he has almost completely slicked out in just around 3 weeks, He doesn’t get groomed too much and he is still his hair just fell out. We are still having cold weather and even snow the last couple of weeks. I’ve read that mini yearlings typically shed out slower so is this something I should be concerned about and especially with it being so early? Since he’s almost completely slicked out now do I just blanket him on cold days when I put him out? 9EE67059-1BDF-492C-AD47-A87B728484EF.jpeg

Taz

Reaction score
It's probably because he's spending time in your house where it's warm. I'd blanket him really well when he's out so his temp stays about the same. Drastic temp changes can be a cause of colic.

Minimor

Reaction score
If he is indoors where the lights are on--during hours that are normally dark--that will do it. Our horses did this one wi ter when they were in the barn at night--we would put them in and then have the lights on while doing all the chores--it was likely adding 3 hours of light to each day. They shed out really early.

chandab

Reaction score
Horses grow and shed their hair based on daylight hours. So, spending time in the house with lights on is speeding up the normal spring cycle. Yes, blanket when he goes out.
Horses shed twice a year... They start their summer coat growth after the winter solstice and at the same time are just starting to let go of their winter coat, extra time under lights will speed up the shedding process. They start their winter coat growth after the summer solstice and at the same time are starting to grow their winter coat.

HersheyMint

HersheyMint
Reaction score
Horses grow and shed their hair based on daylight hours. So, spending time in the house with lights on is speeding up the normal spring cycle. Yes, blanket when he goes out.
Horses shed twice a year... They start their summer coat growth after the winter solstice and at the same time are just starting to let go of their winter coat, extra time under lights will speed up the shedding process. They start their winter coat growth after the summer solstice and at the same time are starting to grow their winter coat.
I learned something today:)
I thought they shed according to temperature.🥵🥶

Latest posts