Craig's List

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Does anyone her have any experience using Craig's List? I was wondering what some of you do as far as when you are contacted. Do you right off the bat give out your contact info, telephone number and address...do you meet at a neutral place....have you had much success with locals ...things to watch out for?

What are you doing? Selling something, buying something - personals?

I have been buying and selling on craigslist for years.

Here is a link to an article I wrote yesterday for Associated Content on this very subject
default_smile.png

Craigslist

If you wouldnt mind giving me a rating or comment that would be great

Kay

Muff-- selling big items such as electronics etc.....

KayKay--thanks I will definitely check out your link.

Edited to add.... Very informative article! And I also enjoyed your article on the RE in a down market. Now, how do I give these articles ratings? Can't quite figure out how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]For the most part, I only list items I can ship or use it to advertise our rental properties. *If* someone needs to come to the house, I make sure that Steve will be home too. I am on freecycle.com a lot and almost always meet people at a neutral location. There are a few people I *know* though freecycle and I will drop off or pick up at their home, but for 1st & 2nd visits, I make sure Steve goes along. A good rule of thumb if you can, is to have the items outside the house (say on porch) when they come by. A neighbor or friend with you too wouldn't hurt.
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Thanks so much!! At the top of the article it should have stars that says "rate this article" And you just click how ever many stars you think it should get. at the very bottom is a line for comments
default_smile.png

I used to write for this website a lot and then got busy with other things. Im just kinda getting back into it. It is a lot of fun as they send you emails asking for articles on specific things.

Thanks Laura...good ideas. I've got a few of the items out in the barn. Some really nice people have come to the house while hubby's been home but when he's not home I do everything outside. We don't have many neighbors around to be able to be with me during a time when someone is to meet me here.

I'm just also wondering about how long it takes people who use Craig's List when they have someone interested in an item, to give the their address and phone number. I know there are some weirdos out there I'd hate to come in contact with...so far so good tho.

KayKay--going to go check the articles again right now.

I have just recently found out about Craigs list and am now a twice a day must check it out addict
default_wacko.png

I usually inquire and start by talking via email. My only experience has been in buying, of course
default_smile.png
but what a good buy I got. I just brought it home last week. A horse hot walker that is in great condition and I only paid $550.00
default_new_shocked.gif

Everything went great and the people were really fantastic. Joyce

I do require that I talk to anyone from Craigslist via phone before they come out. YOu can get a pretty good feeling of who someone is by talking (but of course not fail proof) I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on there and never yet had a problem.

The great thing about Craigslist is they do immediately ban people or you may have seen the "flag" this button. It gets used a lot on Craigslist! They let the community police itself. So for example if you post something for sale and a bunch of people flag it -- Craigslist immediately takes it off

Or if you have a bad reputation as a seller you get banned from selling

But nothing is foolproof so always be careful

Husband just sold a house using Craislist......it went wonderfully!!!!!! All communication was via email at first, and then meeting in person using safety precautions. It went so well he put another house on the market!

an interesting aside is that Craigslist is one of the original and oldest online "forums" sale boards there is. The owner has constantly refused to update it to a fancier site because people love it the way it is. No fancy graphics etc but it sure is user friendly!!

I sold my horse trailer on Craigslist. I like the fact that it is a more local audience. I found the right person for my trailer and the transaction was painless. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Now I think I am addicted too, as I look at the Pets and the Farm and Garden sections several times a day. You never know what you might need!!

Jayne

We are pretty new to Craig's list( darn neighbor down the street told us about it!!! LOL!!) and have purchased a few items with out a problem. Hubby bought tires, me... guinea pigs
default_new_shocked.gif
!!! LOL! We did have 2 people stand us up though. That stinks! I like to meet in a public place rather them going to someones home or vice versa.

Yep were addicted too!!! Hehehe! Hubby and I check daily for good deals! Him, farm and garden, auto parts, barter and wanted. For me it's the pets, farm and garden, and free areas! I also check the lost and found part sometimes.

Leya

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I am a Craig's List adict also.
default_rolleyes.gif
I have never sold anything but have purchased a couple of things.

My only gripe about the site (maybe I am doing something wrong) is that I can only look in the areas that I choose. I wish there was a way to search for something in particular within a broader area other than my local area that I choose. Make sense? Example, I live in Central New Jersey. So if I am looking for something in particular, I MIGHT be willing to go as far as Pennsylvania for it. But there are so MANY areas of PA listed that I have to individually click on and search for an item, plus the three areas of NJ. Is there an easier way? Can you just do a general search?

Sterling, when I purchased off of Craigs List I started communication via E-mail and then it went to phone calls, then I went to the seller's house and things went wonderful! Of course, I had my boyfriend with me to pick the item up.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

I just heard abot Craigslist.com and put an ad there last week. I sold my truck in one night.

Robin

I have bought and sold lots of stuff on craigslist! I love it
default_aktion033.gif
It's free and you even get to add pictures!!!! I usually put my phone number and allow them to contact me through email as well. I am careful when I meet people and I always require cash for any sale. And if you have anything that you just want to get rid of you can list it in the free section with your address, put it out front and it's gone within a day. We listed a porch swing in the free section and within 30 minutes it was gone
default_new_shocked.gif
I listed Kya on craigslist although she actually sold through Bay Area Equestrian Network and I sold her colt through craigslist. You just have to use common sense and protect yourself.

The Craig's List for my area doesn't seem too popular as there really aren't that many ads per category.......maybe 8-10 each at the most. Guess it hasn't caught on yet with these country folks!! After reading this thread, I did put ads out on there yesterday for the farm equipment & trucks we're selling. Haven't received any responses yet.

Kay....I did enjoy your article and commented on it and ranked it as 5 stars!!!

We have sold MANY MANY items on Craigs List with great results. Fantastic folks so far. I also ALWAYS make sure John is home when someone is coming to the house. So far nobody has needed to come inside, but I am getting ready to post an enterainment center and that will be my first experience with letting someone come inside.

I've sold a saddle, horse tack and various things using craigslist. I've bought a car and sold my truck threw there, and we found a new place to rent threw there... Matt has sold plenty of car parts and his cavalier threw craigslist as well. We have never had any safty issues....

Generally the first contact is made threw email, then a phone call.

Is that's also Livedeal? When I Goodled that's what came up so that's where our truck for sale is listed.

Are they one and the same?

Maxine

Latest posts

Back