Crafting in 2022

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it! It’s a terrific way to personalize a hobby you enjoy!

Would your granddaughter enjoy, in addition to your creative books, a blank personalized journal you created for her to note her finds, with a few idea starters throughout such as, “biggest button I ever saw”, “my favorite button in Grandma’s collection”, “if I made a button I’d use…..” , I just love this button ……Grandma made?”…..

I better stop before you pull the plug on me! 🤣

It’s been quite awhile but I do remember stitching journals together on the sewing machine as it made a nice flat binding which I preferred over the plastic ring type binder.

Personally the information and photos you have shared about buttons absolutely piqued my interest! I love keeping an eye out for them now at garage sales, or thrift shops, whenever I go to one!

Love it! It’s a terrific way to personalize a hobby you enjoy!

Would your granddaughter enjoy, in addition to your creative books, a blank personalized journal you created for her to note her finds, with a few idea starters throughout such as, “biggest button I ever saw”, “my favorite button in Grandma’s collection”, “if I made a button I’d use…..” , I just love this button ……Grandma made?”…..

I better stop before you pull the plug on me! 🤣

It’s been quite awhile but I do remember stitching journals together on the sewing machine as it made a nice flat binding which I preferred over the plastic ring type binder.

Personally the information and photos you have shared about buttons absolutely piqued my interest! I love keeping an eye out for them now at garage sales, or thrift shops, whenever I go to one!
I love those ideas! She is only 2 at this time, but this gives me some wonderful ideas for some of her older sisters.

Thank you Marsha! You’re so right, a 2 year old is adorable but a little young! 🤣

You are very creative and artistic in a variety of ways. Did you grow up in a family that passed on a love of arts and crafts in its many forms?

I grew some gourds last year. Our garden club is meeting this week to decorate them for birdhouses. I printed out a picture of our mountain boomer lizard on onion skin paper and decoupaged it on the gourd. I want to add some other embellishment; hopefully there will be some creative ideas at our meeting.

Attachments

• gourd.MOV
    881 KB
Nice work, the lizard looks so real like crawling on the gourd. Does it need a top coat?

Nice work, the lizard looks so real like crawling on the gourd. Does it need a top coat?
I will spray it with sealer when all finished. Just decoupaged a butterfly from our garden to add to it. Hope to have more show and tell after our meeting tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing everyone's creativity!

We met to decorate the gourd birdhouses. Lots of magazines to cut up, paper napkins with pretty flowers and butterflies, and die cuts. Every color of paint. Many decided to decoupage and it was so much fun to see everyone's creativity! Some didn't quite finish, so hopefully they will bring them for Show & Tell at our next meeting.
I painted some stems and leaves on my mountain boomer gourd, then worked on another one when I got home. I did decoupage birds/nest and added some painted details. Tried my hand at "shingles" made of pine cones. Man, that was tedious; probably won't do it again. It was harder because I used E6000 glue, as I want to hang the birdhouse outdoors. I thought of using Gorilla Glue, but I think ti would have been even more difficult to work with. I sealed it with matte acrylic seal so it should be weatherproof.

Attachments

• pinecone gourd birdhouse.jpg
    pinecone gourd birdhouse.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 0
We met to decorate the gourd birdhouses. Lots of magazines to cut up, paper napkins with pretty flowers and butterflies, and die cuts. Every color of paint. Many decided to decoupage and it was so much fun to see everyone's creativity! Some didn't quite finish, so hopefully they will bring them for Show & Tell at our next meeting.
I painted some stems and leaves on my mountain boomer gourd, then worked on another one when I got home. I did decoupage birds/nest and added some painted details. Tried my hand at "shingles" made of pine cones. Man, that was tedious; probably won't do it again. It was harder because I used E6000 glue, as I want to hang the birdhouse outdoors. I thought of using Gorilla Glue, but I think ti would have been even more difficult to work with. I sealed it with matte acrylic seal so it should be weatherproof.
Marsha, I love it! Lots of beautiful detail.❣️

Marsha,
Curious, did they have any Birds and Blooms magazines for clippings at your meeting? They would provide a treasure trove of material!
No, interestingly. Maybe they didn't want to cut them up! I didn't use the magazines so I'm not sure which ones. The paper napkins with flowers and butterfies were the most popular for decoupage.
The birds I used were die cuts; I scanned them and printed them on onion skin paper. The nest was a photo off the internet that I printed onto onion skin.

No, interestingly. Maybe they didn't want to cut them up! I didn't use the magazines so I'm not sure which ones. The paper napkins with flowers and butterfies were the most popular for decoupage.
The birds I used were die cuts; I scanned them and printed them on onion skin paper. The nest was a photo off the internet that I printed onto onion skin.
Well it came out gorgeous! 😍

Latest posts

Back