Coyote!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Hi Yall!

Last night I had a coyote IN my horse pasture.
default_new_shocked.gif
My big horse was paying it little to no attention and Bonny was in the foaling pen I have set up. So she wasnt close to it.

I was worried to say the least. I am curious, will a mini horse protect them self from a coyote? I have a foal on the way and I am worried about that.

Bonny likes to stomp at the dog so would she stomp at a coyote?

What do yall do to protect your minis from coyotes?

My dog is a Rottie Sheppard lab mix and he would have run it off but he was up on the porch sleeping and didnt see it. My son however did, and got me.

I am wondering if thats why my small chickens have been disappearing. I hope I dont have to think of destroying this animal.But I may have no choice.

That would be whats getting your chickens. I don't have any experience with Coyotes, but I would at least be scared for the foal. I hate to say it, but I think it needs to go!

Not intending to tally terrify you but lots of ranchers in our area with cattle have dealt with the problem of the coyote laying and waiting for the cows to calve. As soon as the baby hits the ground they grab it, the cow is still in a daize and unable to react. You need to somehow destroy the coyote or put the mare in foal in an enclosed area complete with roof.

Somehow those critters seem to know when it is getting close. Always better to be safe than sorry. Too many times where there is one of these varmits there are more. This might just be the lookout for the pack.

Hoping you get a wonderful, beautiful healthy foal. Best Wishes

The game commission in Pa thought it was a good idea to introduce coyotes into the environment, I guess they really weren't thinking that a female can reproduce by the time she is 10 months old, hmmm. Now there is open season on coyotes here year round.

Anyhow, I would think your mare would try to protect herself, coyotes are more of a scavenger and after small animals. I would make sure you bury the placenta away from your animals and keep the foal and mom inside at night, the foal is small enough to be enticing to a hungry animal, even bears will go after young fawns.

It's just not worth the risk.

Carolyn

Get a donkey!! A standard size at least!! I have 7 donkeys and most are minis but 2 are large standards for protection. When we were in Michigan we had a black bear in the raspberry patch next to the fence and they were in a row braying their heads off!! So they will scare them off and attack them if they get close!! We also had coons getting our chickens and we never lost another when we got the 1st donkey!! So they are great to have!!!
default_smile.png
They are wonderful animals also!!

Thanks Yall. Thats what I am afraid of. My son is a hunter, so I may just have him do the deed.

Bonny is in a safe pen up closer to the house.

I have 12 acres and there are hundreds behind me. We have caught coyote and bobcat on our game trail cameras. But Never have they come in the pasture that we know of. That was quite an eye opener.

I am in the process of getting 2 more mini mares. One is definitely in foal and the other may also be.

I am also in the process of adding a few goats to that pasture.

I have heard donkeys are great for protection, what about mules?

From personal experience I can tell you yes to the mules. They are great protectors but you will need to also make sure they are introduced slowly to your own dog if he goes out in the pasture. They will attempt to protect the other livestock from your dog also at first. But donkeys and mules are great protectors. So are Llamas and alpacas. The great thing about donkeys is you also get the plus of their wonderful bray greating you when you go out to feed.

Best of luck to you.

The game commission in Pa thought it was a good idea to introduce coyotes into the environment, I guess they really weren't thinking that a female can reproduce by the time she is 10 months old, hmmm. Now there is open season on coyotes here year round.
Carolyn
Sometimes I have to wonder about decisions made to introduce predatory animals to an area. Here in Oregon they decided we need Wolves. Now the ranchers are having issues with the wolves attacking and killing their livestock.

Yes they are beautiful animals but at what cost do we have these programs. But then again they also stocked our rivers with walleye. Now the Walleye are eating the young salmon. As if we didn't already have an issue with fish destroying the salmon runs. :stupid

We live in a rural residential area and my husband saw a young coyote crossing the street a few blocks from our house. One morning I heard a strange growling in the creek next to our property. I called Fish and Wildlife and they said we have to report a sighting right after we see them or they won't do anything about it. I am scared !!! We don't have room for a large donkey.

Well if a donkey or mule will work then I would surely be thinking that is an option. I would prefer a mule, as much as I love the bray, I had a friends donkey here for a while and the lack of sleep from the midnight brays was a bit much for me.

I love them during the day !

Hey Bonny,

Sorry to here about your coyote problem!!! We have had coyotes, fox and raccoons here...the latest vixen fox had two babies that tried to eat our chickens after we killed momma!!!! She killed off at least 6 hens before we got her
default_new_shocked.gif

I also dont want to scare you but dont think that the pen close to the house will protect your mini. Coyotes usually run in packs and where you see one there often are others. They were also reintroduced here as well and I have a friend who lost 7 sheep in one night right behind her house in a small open pen outside her kitchen window. All that was left was the wool/hide and the kidneys. A mini mom probably would be no match for a pack if they came in particularly if she had just given birth. I would get your son to dispatch this animal as soon as possible. Oh and they are very elusive. My friends son sat up many nights trying to catch them and the one night he went to bed they got the flock.

Also an option is a Great Pyrenees - they are wonderful livestock guardians and will kill coyotes, boar and other critters that come within there range. You have to make sure you get a livestock guardian not a pet - sometimes the pets will naturally step up and patrol and guard but some Pyrs want to be couch potatos and some freak out if you try and make them a pet.

If you want to consider a Pyr please PM me as I can probably help you find one or better 2.

I too live in TX and never thought I'd consider shooting another animal but now own a 22 so if I need to defend my four footed children I can.

Good luck

Yea, this is a real problem. I dont really want to get another dog. I have a GSD/ Lab/ Rottie mix that will take care of it , but he was asleep on the porch.
default_rolleyes.gif
I know he has to sleep sometimes,lol.

But I will do it if I have to. I would prefer a mule or maybe a llama?

And we will shot him if we see him again.

I really didnt realize how many of yall struggle with this same issue.

Tatonkas Dream- There are a lot of critters in our area also. I am kind of surprised though because there are many dogs running loose in our neighborhood. But I guess with all that wooded land its easy for them to disappear.

Do not count on llamas - none of the ones I have been associated with cared about coyotes in any way! They would lay there and watch a coyote trot across the pasture - but then go after the dogs when they ran after the trespasser.
default_wacko.png

I am kind of surprised though because there are many dogs running loose in our neighborhood.
Dogs running loose can be more of a worry than coyotes...
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You also need to consider the type of fencing you have, how safe is it really? Can anything get in by walking right in, jumping, digging, or crawling? Coyotes run in packs, so don't rely on the fact that you have just one. We just built a 6' rail fence here this summer, and hopefully before fall we'll be getting our 2" x 4" field fence on the inside. Until then, everyone is stalled at night, and the barn locked up tight. Also, a DNR neighbor told me to run a strand of electric wire on the outside about 8-10" off the ground, and along the top. Consider your lighting around the barn and pen area as well, make sure the area is well lit up. We've got two big yard lights, one on each end, up on the peak of the roof. It illuminates around the whole barn, even in back. Someone in an earlier post mentioned leaving on a radio all the time to.

The person I get my feed from, about 3 miles away, had a bear run through their fence. They use the white electric tape. And although it didn't specifically go after the horses, just as dangerous was the fact that it spooked them terribly. Their mini mare ended up with two fracturs in a hind leg that were just to severe, they had to put her down.

We have several predators in this area to worry about unfortunately. We have packs of coyotes that come up close at night as well, and their calls they make always send chills up my neck, it's just so eery. What has me really on edge though right now is that there has been a cougar spotted in our immediate area just last week. A neighbor came for a visit, and told me she spotted the cougar walking the edge of her property, got to the driveway (she has a decent length driveway), and sat and stared at her for a bit before walking into the woods. She has a mare that was attacked last year by a cougar, the mare barely survived. This same mare was just frantic all week, pawing, snorting, and even her dog won't leave the security of the barn or house.

I really believe that we have made it to easy for these predators to get an easy meal from us. They've become accustomed to feeding off our livestock, and now look at us as an easy source for food. A predator who used to be so afraid of humans, you would barely ever see them, is now so used to us they have very little fear, and in my book that's more dangerous than anything. We need to make it harder for them, protect our livestock, and keep them from being such an easy meal.

Good luck with everything!
default_smile.png

They have walked our fence line once in a while but have never seemed to care about our horses, rabbits are what they want around here.

As far as the donkey braying at night it was doing its job and scaring away the critters!!! Once they get use to the area and what critters are "ok" they will stop the braying at night!! My jack brayed for a month all night long when we got him, until he had scared all the deer away from their path right by the fence
default_wacko.png
. Once they started to use another trail and he realized they are not a threat all was quiet again!! When my donkeys bray at night I know something is wrong and I get right up to check things out!! Good Luck!!

Well this is my area. We have 2 dens on our property and have way too many of those coyotes around here.

I have a standard jack, minature donkey, alpacas and My 2 Great Pyrs... My dogs are amazing they have killed a coyote. I have not lost any pygmy goats, or potbelly piglets to them.

But just remember that you need to have good fencing as well. But coyotes can jump over 6 ft as well. Now most coyotes will not kill their prey if they can not remove it from the pen.

I swear by my dogs. They are amazing. My standard Jack is great too.. He doesn't bray at the coyotes.. he charges them. My Alpacas ( 4) will whistle and warn and charge.

Coyotes are opportunists. What ever they can catch easily they will go for first. (Which is why you've probably been losing chickens!) Here, we have a huge population of Rock Chucks and big ground squirrels.

Latest posts

Back