Coyote!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had coyotes (big ones almost German Shepard size) roaming through here - my neighbor being handy with a gun and having small pets - took care of them.

The other smaller coyotes tend to stay in the creek and out in the orchard (but as we have our own 'pack of dogs' I think it s a territorial thing! Coyotes though are opportunistic, so a sick foal, newly born one or older horse . . . well it's what they do. I don't like it any coyotes are way to plentiful but the higher up the food chain animals (wolves and mountain lions) don't exist in many areas so they are at the top and are prolific breeders. They're also way to bold and unafraid of humans - not a good mix.

We've lost more poultry and and an aborted fetus to foxes - much worse than the coyotes - I found the fox in the backyard trying to get the chickens! The only thing worse than the fox getting the hens have been town dogs that came out and killed half our flock in one day for fun!

We've also noticed over the years coyotes become a bit more aggressive in late winter/early spring before their normal prey - rabbits, grounds squirrels, etc. are out and abundant.

We do have llamas and watched them chase a coyote across 20 acres of hills one time until it jumped the fence. I've also seen my horses chase a dog and a deer (dfferent occasion) out of their pasture.

Latest posts

Back