cow hocked 2 year old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opie2017

Reaction score
Just curious, how long does it take a foal not to be cow hocked? My two year old looks to be cow hocked and my farrier said she is trimming so he grows right but he is still a bit cow hocked. 

By 2 he should be about done changing.  Some horses just end up a bit cowhocked.  I will not run any correction on a horse that is past it's second birthday--in truth I do not like to correct them past one year but sometimes do a bit (not nearly as much as I would on a weanling) if I buy a yearling that is a bit crooked.  By 2 they are what they are and corrective trimming is more harmful than helpful.  Trim level and it's all good.

Sometimes when they get into steady work and build up some muscling the cowhocks will improve a little bit.  I have had several adult horses change for the better with exercise.  Not a big change because like Minimor said, "they are what they are", but an overall improvement was noticeable. 

Perry is a bit cow hocked as well and we are working to correct as much as we can before he's a year old. We're trimming the outside 2/3 of the hoof to cause him to heel strike which "should" cause him to land with his toes pointed forward.... we shall see. Our really good farrier just retired and we're struggling to find someone to replace him. Lots of people can cut hoof off and slap shoes on but, as we all know, not all farriers are equal :)

Latest posts

Back