"Coverall" type barns

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
Do any of you have a Cover-All (brand name) or any other such tarp type barn? If so, how do you like it? When you had it put up, how did it compare in price to a regular barn of the same or similar size? Would you recommend such a building, or not? What are you foremost likes and dislikes about it?

Any input would be most appreciated.

My opinion only. They are fine structures for their intended purpose and most people who have them are happy. Just some points to ponder. When you compare the cost to a pole structure they are not that far apart. When the time comes to repair or replace the covering where is the dealer or manufacturer going to be ?? We have had a couple of dealers already go under and the guarantee of x number of years went with them. They still require maintainance on a reqular basis more so than a conventional pole structure. In the event you go to sell the property they are not counted as a permanent structure and therefore will not be considered as value for a mortgage. My advice is think long and hard

I've been looking into these as a possible indoor arena. I've been in several and really like the light and bright feel and the stables around here that have them are very pleased with the airy and open feel to them. I have done recent research and I know they have made a number of improvements to their designs in the last year or so and have come down a bit in price. I know there are a number of "knock off" copy cat companies with cheaper versions that are not as durable.

My biggest question, is how warm do they stay in the winter with no insulation.

Justaboutgeese brought up a good point about them not being considered a "permanent structure"....in my case that is a good thing, living in a metropolitan area with lots of building codes and restrictions it might be my only option if I want another structure even though we have 10 acres and have just one medium size barn in addition to our house. In regards to resale, our property would definitely be marketed as a "horse property" so even a coverall building would add to the interest and value.

These were previous topics on this forum and has lots of info for you. You can find these by doing "forum search" using "coverall building"

"Coverall" type barns

the tarp structures Miniature Horse Forum Sunny 4 88 Today, 10:12 PM

Last post by: Marty

Covel-all Building

Soft sided Building Miniature Horse Forum Anne 13 316 20th March 2005 - 05:48 PM

Last post by: AJ

canvan arenas

driving Miniature Horse Forum elliemae22 2 104 1st December 2004 - 04:43 PM

Last post by: Sanny

Indoor riding facilities..

those who own them and sizes Miniature Horse Forum dazzler79 9 219 28th October 2004 - 10:11 AM

Last post by: Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

http://www.coverall.net/

Linky for you Judy. Now that I see these in the pictures I am going "ooh" but on the other hand and knowing a little about construction and costs I think that justaboutgeese has made some very valid points. I guess it all depends on your intended use for starters.

Yes Judy I have one and it was here when we bought the place. Mine is not the cover-all brand though, it is written "tempo" on it and I have no idea how old it is, but it's in great shape and the covering isn't the flimsy type that are used lets say if you want to store a boat or a car, if you understand what I mean. At first we used it to store 800 large squares bales of hay but now that I have lessened my work load and have gone to round bales I was free to do what I wanted with it. I love mine and am perhaps thinking of putting a second one on my property, maybe not as large as the one I have now. It is approximately 24 feet x 36 feet. Because Blue our saddlebred came home from the trainers and I had acquired my arabian rescue I was left short of stalls in my "barn". I built three LARGE stalls in the cover-all and have Abby, Storm and Crystal in there at the moment, until Mike gets my SECOND BARN UP, DO YOU HEAR ME MIKE!!! I have all the material sitting there he just "hasn't got around to it yet!!!
no.gif
So I decided to use the cover-all. As I said they have 3 large stalls in there with floor for them and shavings. The front is totally enclosed with the exception of a "door" that I can shut, so they can come in and out as they please at the moment. The entire cover-all type building I have is fenced around it so the horses can't do damage to it and it also has a large gate at the front of it. Of course when the cold weather flies they will be locked into their stalls at night. Also besides the stalls they have a large area to just walk around in inside and I plan on putting a round bale of hay in there, they also have a watertrough in there so they can get out of inclimate weather during the day should they choose to do so. As far as temperature goes I don't have any idea yet. I believe it would be no different than a non insulated barn but don't forget minis get such a coat in the winter time it's probably healthier for them, as long as they are out of the wind and have plenty of hay to keep them warm. Now having said that when and if we get temps this winter of -20 celcius or worse, than I will have those three come into the barn at night, I have a large open section of about 15 feet by 20 feet and my entire barn is rubber mats so I can throw some shavings down in that area for them if they need to come into my main barn.

The great thing about the cover-all type is that you do not need a building permit for them, not the one I have because it could be moved, not that I would do that. So for me, this set-up works and the horses seem happy to be able to, for now, come in or out as they feel comfortable with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here ya go again:

www.tempo-inc.com

coveralls for boats and other things.

Thanks Marty but I can't get into the site you put up.

Judy try this... what I have is the "industrial one" and I changed the front of it so it has only a regular "door" opening for the fall and winter. In the summer and spring I revert back to the "curtain" type so I can leave it open.

Tempo - industrial

Well, you know the one my friend has, it is bright and beautiful, and because of the sunlight coming in, quite warm in the winter. BUT...it cost almost $95,000.00, and in my opinion, should I want to spend that kind of money...I would build a solid, permanent structure.

They are NOT insurable for wind damage, through any companies here...something to consider.

They certainly are popular, but I would just be a nervous wreck every time the wind blows...and Honey, it always blows here in the Maritimes.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
yes.gif

Well it seems to witstand the wind very very well since it is, or ours is, anchored with industrial materials. Last week we had warnings of 100 k winds and we came through that with no problems. Now I doubt it would do well in hurricane force winds but then alot of structures, permanent ones, wouldn't either. Ours is insured totally for any kind of damage so insurance can be had. I doubt ours cost alot of money, I am thinking perhaps $2500 or so but this is not the brand name cover-all system which is not a "portable" type of structure at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is not a big barn or anything. But it is a coverall type shed, 12' by 20'.

Is working well in the mini's pasture, and so far has stood up to some really high winds. We get some really impressive gusts around here.

I also can't afford at this point anyway, the price of a good wooden barn, and the very high taxes that would go with it.

Is not the most pretty run in shed, but it works.

runinshed2.jpg

runinshed4.jpg

Well, it's really anybody's guess when and where we'll actually put up a barn, but my husband is thinking next year sometime. Whatever. In the meantime, I'm just looking around a bit and trying to figure out the most cost effective type of barn. Sid is pretty firm on wanting a "real" barn, but I would be more than happy with a "tarp" barn. He's thinking of having just the stalls, feed/tack room and wash stall in there, but I'm thinking that if we're going to put up a coverall type, then we might as well add a bit more on the end to include enough space for at least a round pen or an area where I can start working the horses in the spring when the footing here is atrocious.

The one that SueC. mentioned above is absolutely fabulous!!! If I remember correctly, it's about 80' x 120' (waaay bigger than what I would need!). The weekend that Kim (Willowood) and I did our clinic there in Nova Scotia, the weather was awful! Very strong wind and relentless rain. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was no flapping or noise of any kind due to the wind or even the rain pelting down. And it was so bright and pleasant in there that you'd never know it was miserable and barely above freezing outside. That impression has really stayed with me and that's why I'm looking into this type of structure so much.

I really appreciate the links, comments and suggestions from all of you! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back