Cousin's Goat had twins,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky Texas

Reaction score
First time breeder, first time Momma for the Goat.. had twins. The stronger of the two twins,

did not make it today. The momma laid on top of it and it did not make it.

So REBA, the tiny baby girl needs some help from any one who breeds or knows about babies.

She is very tiny, and a fighter. They have moved her in the house, due to being first still on the

week side, also with the cold weather. They are syringe feeding her. She is now starting to try to

stand up, not there yet. But at least making an effort. She is now making the goat sounds, so cute.

They are feeding her colostrum and vitmins. And are feeding the baby some of the Colostrum from

the momma goat. They are round the clock feeding the baby. Praying hard Reba will make it, so

any adivce and prayers please.

The momma goat, Lucy is still having some pain. She is eating some hay, and drinking water.

I believe she has passed the after birth. Any advice for them for her. I have told them they may

need to seek help from a Vet. Can anyone here make some suggestions. I told my cousin she

made some pain meds, and some antibotics. Which is what I do with mini mares when they foal.

I keep it on hand and give it after foaling. Does she need a tetanus shot.

Please any advice..

We know you are not vets, and this is only your experence or advice. We just need help.

Thanks

Vicky

You might want to check the babies temp she should be at 100 degrees, if she isn't you will want to warm her up.

Also I haven't tried this but it is something they recommend on the goat forum I am a part of. They say it would be good for Mom and baby. (Mix 2cc of whiskey any kind, 2cc of coffee strong and hot and 2cc of Karo syrup. Mix well and give about 2cc to start, and another 2cc in a half hour)

Sorry I am not more help.

Stef

It sounds like your cousin is doing things right. One word of advice, as soon as the baby is strong enough, I would move them back outside (do they have a barn). The reason is if the baby gets too used to the heat in the house, she could get sick when moved outside. She needs a heat lamp on her when moved out. Does the baby seem warm enough in the house? If not, you could use a heat pad under a blanket for her to lay on. Hope they both do fine.

Pam

You did the very best thing. One ounce of colostrum tonight is better that a whole bottle tomorrow. Warm colostrum is what she needs. Now that you have that dear one in the house, you'll have to use your judgement as to WHEN she'll go back to the barn. It's going to be very cold tonight! Either wait for the sun to shine again or temperature outside to warm up. Since this is a first time Momma you'll want to be sure of her Mothering instinct before you just put the kid back with her.

One thing I picked up on.....what do you mean by the momma goat is still having pain? Is she contracting? Did you see her drop the after-birth? Even that's not a sure sign of whether there's another kid in her if she's contracting.

You may be stuck with a bottle baby. That's not such a bad thing, huh? Just be sure to take good care of the mother and her udder. Hope this helps a little.

I went to bed thinking of you all......how's momma and kid doing today?

I've lived with goats for many years and couldn't help thinking of all those nights (mostly cold nights) taking care of a kid or two. Kidding hasn't started at our house yet, thank God, in this cold. I'm too old for this!!

Let us know how you're doing.

Thank You for all your help, your suggestions and prayers. I could not post earlier today as I

had to work. But I called my cousin first thing this morning to get an update.

My heart breaks for them. They lost the tiny baby girl named Reba at about 1 AM. She was

just so tiny and so weak. When I had talk to them at 11 PM, she was starting to try to stand,

she would call out to them, and was alert. We were beginning to think she had a chance.

She was warm. She was brown and white, with big floppy ears.

The momma goat is getting up and down, she is pooping and eating on her hay. She is

still laying around a lot. So please continue your prayers for Lucy.

Thank You for all your suggestions. I will email them to my cousin and have her keep them

so if they re-breed her, she will have them. I told them not to breed her where she will foal

in the cold months.

Thank You

Vicky

Please keep them in your prayers, they are all taking it so hard.

Ohhhh I'm so sorry for the two losses....
default_no.gif
Hope the mommy goat is going to be okay........

We have friends who have 4-H goats, but personally don't know much about them.

I'm so sorry. Hopefully, Lucy will not grieve too much and get on with a happy life. Be extra kind to her. When fall comes she'll be happy to see a "guy" again and have kids next spring when it's warm.

Life goes on, huh?

Okay, you posted to wait till fall .. how long does these goats carry babies. When do you breed

to get a baby in April or May.. so they don't end up with a baby in Feb. Suggestions please..

Thank You Vicky

Goat gestation is 145-155 days- a little more than five months. And I hope you don't mind me saying, but they don't "foal" they "kid" or "freshen". A friend of mine breeds her goats between Halloween and Thanksgiving for warmer spring kids.

I'm sorry they lost the twins too, I've read that goats don't have a strong will to live, if they get sick, they'd just as soon curl up and die, but I don't know if this is true.

If you want to investigate goats, this is the best site around, I'd recommend it to any and all goat people.

http://www.fiascofarm.com/

I raise fainting goats, if you'd like to see mine, here's my goat page, we absolutely love our goats.

http://www.sunsetridgeminis.com/goats.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back