Couple of questions . . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboygirl45

Reaction score
Hey Guys
default_saludando.gif
! I recently posted about the mini horse stud (now gelding) that I rescued, and I have a few more questions. I have made a few observations since I picked him up last Thursday and I would like your opinions.

1) (A feel good observation) I have noticed that this little guy is laying down quite a bit. There are no obvious reasons (sick, etc.), I just think it feels good for him to lay in something besides his own feces. I laid down a bunch of straw for him, and HE'S USING IT!!! Every time I check on him I have to pull straw out of his main, like he's been rolling every chance he gets
default_wub.png
. (There are no signs of skin issues, i.e. ring worm, rain rot, etc. etc.)

2) He refuses to eat the hay stems. He will root through, eat all of the leaves and then nicker at me like he's still hungry. I'm reluctant to feed him too much since the vet advised keeping an eagle eye on his weight (stifle issues), but I'm wondering if it may be his teeth. Has anyone ever run into this problem? I have a dental appointment for my QH's on the 20th of this month I suppose I can see if this dentist (traveling in from Montana) would have the appropriate tools to do a mini.

3) Given Cuz's past (outlined in the post "Rescue . . . ") I'm wondering if he may be a candidate for therapy horse (visiting childrens hospitals, nursing homes, etc.)? Some one at some point has loved him dearly and he's very easy and quiet to be around. NOTHING yet has even come close to upseting him, and I'm curious as to what it would take to put him in a public setting? I feel that with his physical disabilities, he would be an inspiration. On Chances Miniature Horse Rescue site, they say that they don't condone the use of "dwarf" horses as assistance animals or in service work. Would therapy also be "service work"? Although, he's not an "obvious" dwarf, Cuz does show signs and symptoms of dwarfism (stifles locking, skeletal underdevelopment, enlarged knee joints, etc. etc.).

Your opinions would be appreciated!!! And, as always I hope everyone is well!

I can only comment on number 2.

So here goes...When I fed my minis baled alfalfa, they would only eat the leaves. They would pull/spit out the stems into a pile on the ground and poop on them. Yuck! Guess it was their way of tell me their opinion.

I tried several different suppliers for the alfalfa, but got the same results every time. Someone on here...I believe it was, but can't remember who now, suggested using chopped alfalfa. It comes in a bag, and is made by Purina. Guess what...NO more problem...they love the chopped form. It is merely a thought for you.

You didn't say what kind of hay you were feeding, but from "their eating the leaves, and leaving the stems" I am assuming you were referring to alfalfa. But we all know what happens when people "butt U ME"
default_wink.png
So if your aren't feeding alfalfa disregard my comment.

Hey Guys
default_saludando.gif
! I recently posted about the mini horse stud (now gelding) that I rescued, and I have a few more questions. I have made a few observations since I picked him up last Thursday and I would like your opinions.
2) He refuses to eat the hay stems. He will root through, eat all of the leaves and then nicker at me like he's still hungry. I'm reluctant to feed him too much since the vet advised keeping an eagle eye on his weight (stifle issues), but I'm wondering if it may be his teeth. Has anyone ever run into this problem? I have a dental appointment for my QH's on the 20th of this month I suppose I can see if this dentist (traveling in from Montana) would have the appropriate tools to do a mini.

3) Given Cuz's past (outlined in the post "Rescue . . . ") I'm wondering if he may be a candidate for therapy horse (visiting childrens hospitals, nursing homes, etc.)? Some one at some point has loved him dearly and he's very easy and quiet to be around. NOTHING yet has even come close to upseting him, and I'm curious as to what it would take to put him in a public setting? I feel that with his physical disabilities, he would be an inspiration. On Chances Miniature Horse Rescue site, they say that they don't condone the use of "dwarf" horses as assistance animals or in service work. Would therapy also be "service work"? Although, he's not an "obvious" dwarf, Cuz does show signs and symptoms of dwarfism (stifles locking, skeletal underdevelopment, enlarged knee joints, etc. etc.).

Your opinions would be appreciated!!! And, as always I hope everyone is well!
2 - Mine prefer the softer leaves and often leave the stems even on the really prime hay, so its probably just preference. But, I would have the equine dentist check his teeth, if he's not seem an equine dentist he may just need his teeth done. My equine dentist checks mine every year, some need work more often than others. I would just call the equine dentist and let him/her know that you have a mini that may need work done. [speaking of that, PM me the name of the equine dentist you are using; I"m in MT and my equine dentist travels to the surrounding states, so could be the same, just curious. ]

3 - I"m pretty sure that Chances is referring to guide type work, not therapy (as in visiting nursing homes, hospitals and such).

Some of those symptoms Cuz has may just be malnutrition, ordinary bad conformation (there's bad conformation and then there's dwarfism, they don't necessarily go hand-in-hand), arthritis (it'll cause enlarged knee joints), lack of condition and not necessarily dwarf characteristics.

I seriously doubt Cuz does not need dental work. Definitely put him on the list for a checkup. My horses relish all the alfalfa stems. They will sometimes leave the leaves! Have you run your fingers inside his upper and lower lips to check for packed, chewed material? Does he "quid"?

Try him at a school or local fair to see how he interacts with people. Mine go to nursing homes, schools, and fairs frequently. The problem with doing therapy work is insurance. You have to have an equine company for insurance, as your home owner's most likely won't cover you.

Love to see a photo of him!

Hello again guys! Yep, I'm feeding alfalfa. On the chopped alfalfa, it might cause respiratory problems because it's so fine and dusty. At one point, I was going to chop all of my own hay (my grandpa has an old chopper that he used for his sheep), but my vet strongly sugested that I don't. Horses are so sensitive to dust, and he was afraid that they would inhale too much, causing problems.

I'm definitely going to get him into the Dentist just to see what's going on. I'm not sure of the Dentist's name; it's actually a friend of mine that is setting up the day for him. Since he's coming out of town, he needs enough to do to make it worth while. When I find out who he is, I'll let you know. All I know is my friend says he's GREAT, so I'm excited.

I'm really excited about doing some therapy work too
default_biggrin.png
! Would any one know of anywhere I could get some good information on therapy horses? Books? Websites? Any thing you know of I would really appreciate if you let me in on it! The more research I do, the more I'm thinking that Cuz isn't a dwarf, but just as you said, a combination of poor nutrition and conformation. Oh well, I LOVE HIM
default_wub.png

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT!!! I APPRECIATE IT!

My thoughts to your first question - Caz is probably so thrilled to have a dry place to lay down and straw as an extra bonus that he is making good use of it - could also be the new hoof trim putting different pressure on his legs and it is just comfortable for him to lay down.

My minis tend to leave the hay stems, also - guess I can't blame them - it is great that you are having his teeth checked - you will feel so much better knowing whether or not it is his teeth or just his personal preference - I do think he is already getting you figured out - (if I don't like the stemmy hay,) I just know she will bring me what I want - unbelievable how smart these little guys are!

We have taken our minis to Nursing Homes, the Hospital, to school and they have always been a big hit - it is amazing how many people in Nursing Homes look forward to seeing the minis - Caz does sound like he has the kind of disposition to be a good candidate.

You do need to realize that he has already captured your heart
default_wub.png
- I think you are a GREAT canditate for "MINI ADDICTION!!"
default_new_multi.gif

Hello again guys! Yep, I'm feeding alfalfa. On the chopped alfalfa, it might cause respiratory problems because it's so fine and dusty. At one point, I was going to chop all of my own hay (my grandpa has an old chopper that he used for his sheep), but my vet strongly sugested that I don't. Horses are so sensitive to dust, and he was afraid that they would inhale too much, causing problems.

Didn't realize it might cause respiratory issues. Maybe that is why mine seem to have a dry cough? How about trying alfalfa CUBES?? I might give these a try too, and see if we can lose the cough.

My horses are super picky. They all eat the fine hay and leave stems. And yes, horses are sensitive to dust. So you may not wat to chop it unless you then wet it.

We have a therapy gelding. He loves it. Thinks he is speacial. We do the Vetran Homes. Any info I can guive on that please pm me.

My horses are super picky. They all eat the fine hay and leave stems. And yes, horses are sensitive to dust. So you may not wat to chop it unless you then wet it.
We have a therapy gelding. He loves it. Thinks he is speacial. We do the Vetran Homes. Any info I can guive on that please pm me.
Yeah!!! Hay cubes may be a great idea to try. I use them quite often when I'm on the road with my big horses, on the other hand they may be a bit hard to chew for them. You might just purchase one bag and give it a try. I hope you get the dry cough figured out
default_wink.png
!

Take Care!

A

Yeah!!! Hay cubes may be a great idea to try. I use them quite often when I'm on the road with my big horses, on the other hand they may be a bit hard to chew for them. You might just purchase one bag and give it a try. I hope you get the dry cough figured out
default_wink.png
!

Take Care!

A
Sorry, I quoted the wrong post!!! I'm sure if you read the posts you'll understand what I was getting at
default_laugh.png

Me "again"
default_rolleyes.gif
! On the therapy horse issue, don't laugh at me (please), on second thought go ahead and laugh
default_wink.png
; is there any way to potty train a mini horse? How do you handle "that" issue when you take them out in a public setting. Obviously if we're at the fair or something of that nature it wont be too big of an issue, but what about in-doors?

Okay, I hope you got a good laugh out of me
default_laugh.png
!

Me "again"
default_rolleyes.gif
! On the therapy horse issue, don't laugh at me (please), on second thought go ahead and laugh
default_wink.png
; is there any way to potty train a mini horse? How do you handle "that" issue when you take them out in a public setting. Obviously if we're at the fair or something of that nature it wont be too big of an issue, but what about in-doors?
default_laugh.png
!
You can order the little bags that fit over & under the tail. Parade horses need them also. A friend of mine just ordered a leather one for her horse. It was around $50 with shipping, etc

Me "again"
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png
!
I"m sure people who've done therapy work will chime in, but I have a few thoughts... Fresh shavings in the trailer, they can't seem to resist peeing on fresh shavings, so that might help. And, those long handled dog scoops (look kind of like a dust pan) with a broom for scooping should they go inside (many won't, others will let loose anywhere).

If his teeth haven't been maintained, he most likely does need to see a dentist.
default_smile.png
That said, he may just not like the stems. Most of mine aren't so picky but I have a stallion who is on an alfalfa diet only and won't touch stems...... He gets loose alfalfa and wastes half of it, but I also feed T N T bagged alfalfa/timothy from Tractor Supply. It's not dusty, horses love it and there is no waste. I haven't had much luck with alfalfa cubes for minis - unless they are soaked.

Jan

I have a gelding with a Delta certificate , he works in the hospitals now. This si how I trained him. He is also a quiet , even tempered horse , that stops to look when he is frightened , he is not a bolter, this IMO is important. Train him to do as many different things as possible , parades are great, lots of walks , lots of short trips to different places, see how he handles new environments. Other horses , big and small, and children.take him to beaches, parks , lakes trails streets peoples houses for Birthday partys... If after all this he is still very quiet and relaxed , look into training for a delta certificate.

For the eating part... my horses get Alp grass, we dont grow Alfalfa here, and they still push the hay around looking for tid bits first.

I have also rescued horses, I think your right on with thinking that he is elated to have a clean soft bed for the first time.

enjoy him !
default_wub.png

ps you can im me for more info on the therapy part... Blackie never wears a baggie, he knows that he isnt suppose to go to the bathroom in the hospital. But he does have his hooves taped with vet wrap so he wont slip on the tile, and the kids love the colors..they call it his shoes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back