Couldn't be a more perfect day...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Pam

Reaction score
Gorgeous fall weather (around 80)

No dress code--except no open toed shoes (and most of us wear helmets)

no clipping or make up (on the horses
default_biggrin.png
)

28" minis to Clydes and everything in between

laid back fun loving horse people all out to enjoy friends, horses, and good driving

well run with lots of great volunteers

CHEAP!! $30 total fees to show in all six classes (of course, it cost me almost $90 in gas)

It does NOT get any better than this. Minis were the largest division with 9 entries, and we pretty much showed the big guys how it's done. Jane and Lucy from Field of Dreams were there--great to see you guys!! There is not ANYTHING cuter than your little Buck; Robin tried so hard to sneak him out in the back seat of our truck. If you're missing him I can give you her address
default_wink.png

We did cloverleaf, Washington Poles, a 5 gate hazzard, Flying W, Plant the Flowers in a Bucket, and a 20 gate cones course. Gotta brag--my 10 year old pregnant mare Elegant Echo won 5 out of 6 classes, and our mare SR Desert Sun was Year End High Point VSE. My "kids" managed to not knock over a single cone (don't ask about the barrel that died an ignoble death) and made it through all the patterns. After the show we drove the fairgrounds just for kicks.

Well howdy stranger. Been a very long time!

You described a dream day for me. It just couldn't have been better. Good horses, great friends, and lots of fun. That's the way to live.

Do you have any pictures? Would love to see pix of such a great day! Video would be even better......would love to see the 'death of the barrel'
default_yes.gif

Charlotte

That sounds like the best day, if you have pix please post...

Glad you had such a good day!
default_yes.gif

We had a BLAST! Although it was a bit chilly and damp in the morning!

We had to literally "jump start" our poor 29" guy to get him into the ring, as the sand was very deep there. Once he was in he was fine, although those lil legs just didn't go very fast. We had our youth driving him, as he would never have been able to pull MY lard-butt around. He did great, considering we broke him last Nov, showed at the Stock Show in Jan and he hadn't been driven since then! But he did awesome!

My Sunny guy was a bit freaked out in the morning, and even by the end of the day he still spooked at the rag on the outgate... plus the fact he isn't really fast is a challenge. Dunny, the guy who exploded at the pleasure drive, was his safe, sane self.

Lucy

What city in Texas was this at? I've been hearing more and more about these driving classes and I am interested in maybe doing a couple. How do you find out where the next one in this area will be held?

That sounds like a lot of fun - hope you have some pictures!!

JJay

This is a series of driving play days held 4 times a year in Bowie, TX. Shows are late March or early April, June, Sept, and Nov. There is no pre registration, the only things you need to bring is a current Coggins and $5 a class or $25 for the whole day (plus a whopping $5 office fee per horse). you show out of your trailer. I recc bicycle wheel carts for the minis--the sand gets a little deep esp at the entry gate. They are very concious about our minis and the sand though, and do their best to keep it packed.

You can have checks/no checks, open or closed bridles, breeching or not, pretty much anything goes as long as it's safe. There were some carts that were literally plywood with a horse blanket thrown over the seat, and there were hand crafted Meadowbrooks. There are some people there who are clueless and have no idea what they're doing, but their horses put up with stupidity and bad harnessing. There are a lot of senior driviers and some old ranch horses and ponies where this is the only show they ever see, and they are not very open to helpful suggestions on harnessing. "Always drove her this way. 20 years. Ain't ever had no problems. Thank you very much, but you fancy show people can just keep yer advice to yerself." :DOH!

Some of the ADS people in our club won't be caught dead at these shows--they are beneath their dignity and sense of propriety. Too bad for them. The horses love it and the kids have a great time while unknowingly working on their reinsmanship , pattern memorization, timing, bending, and coordination. I was thrilled to watch Doug drive Sunny and see them finally click as a team--they quit arguing with each other. Ashley can't remember a pattern on her own no matter how many times we go over it, but she is grinnig ear to ear as the crowd cheers her every drive. "LEFT ASHLEY, LEFT!!! NOW RIGHT! NO, OTHER RIGHT!!!!!!!" She and her new gleding Late Night Blues drove the first half hour they were there with no bit in his mouth--I had checked her mom's harnessing but didn't look close at his bridle. Got lots of good natured ribbing about teaching my kids a new bitless driving method.

We'll be back next year. To get on the mailing list, contact Ree Salter at [email protected].

Last edited by a moderator:
She and her new gleding Late Night Blues drove the first half hour they were there with no bit in his mouth--I had checked her mom's harnessing but didn't look close at his bridle. Got lots of good natured ribbing about teaching my kids a new bitless driving method.
Oh, yes, THAT was good for at least half an hour of jokes. Especially since he did better WITHOUT the bit!
default_biggrin.png

We brough a hibachi and made hot dogs. Plus, there are stalls on the grounds you can use if you want. We used ours as a shelter because the sun was too hot!! Water taps are right there, and the potties weren't TOO bad....
default_wink.png

Lucy

Latest posts

Back